Lil Native or Dragonfly G10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Dragonfly G10 or Lil Native G10

Dragonfly G10
51%
Lil Native G10
49%

Total votes: 37

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Lil Native or Dragonfly G10?

Post by Doc Dan »

Which do you prefer and why, the Lil Native or the Dragonfly G10?

Both are G10 and have similar blade lengths and cutting edges, but the DF blade is thinner, though the Lil Native might be more robust.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Re: Lil Native or Dragonfly G10?

Post by Ric »

Lil Native compression lock.
Because of the compression lock.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

These days, I actually prefer the robust feel and grip ergos of the Lil' Native Backlock. For my EDC uses, I hardly find a difference in performance. Although I have zero worries about damaging the tip on the Lil' Native, whereas I might be a wee bit more careful with the thinner tip on the Dragonfly. Then again, the thinner Dragonfly is a bit more low profile to carry.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
elena86

Post by elena86 »

G10 Dragonfly2 is my choice. Sal's best design IMHO. Lil'Native has an overkill thick blade stock ... not my cup of tea
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Honestly i carry both.

I use the LNative when i feel the Dfly could get too roughed up. The Lnative just muscles through it all with that tip of authority. But it hates doing push cuts at the base of the blade.
I like to keep an slightly enough edge on it. That seems to help it tear through anything.
Its handle is probably the most comfortable out of my collection of small knives. It's more substantial and really helps when you're being aggressive with your work. You can use it for a while and not be bothered.

Dfly sings when it comes to detailed and lighter work. It slices and slices. Almost never hesitates at push cuts. No portion of edge will go to waste.
I'd say i use my Fly more.
Mine's in Vtoku, i've kept the factory edge but strop it regularly. It's a shiny smooth edge that can shave hair. Just glides through it all.
The handle really brings all the attention to the finger choil. The rest of the handle seems to be there merely to add purchase and keep the blade from shifting. Still feels very secure in hand when you're holding it right. However, after some extended hard use the spine can kind of dig into your finger.

There are a few things to consider here but I'm not sure I'd you'll go wrong with either
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:28 am
These days, I actually prefer the robust feel and grip ergos of the Lil' Native Backlock. For my EDC uses, I hardly find a difference in performance. Although I have zero worries about damaging the tip on the Lil' Native, whereas I might be a wee bit more careful with the thinner tip on the Dragonfly. Then again, the thinner Dragonfly is a bit more low profile to carry.

Pretty much exactly this. I think the Lil Native back lock is so well made. Just solid and smooth and looking good. Nice job, Eric. I put a small fob to lengthen the handle, like I do the Dfly, and it's perfect. Of course, I have a lot of Dflies, and it's such a good knife, I made a vid of it. I say both. I really hope the Lil Native makes it to FRN. Oh, momma.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Dragonfly is best suited to the LW frn format in my view. I love my Hap40 version, but not the G10 I had. I hope the Lil Native slipjoint comes to fruition.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have the G10 DF. I have had it for years. It is my favorite of the DF series. I have been going back and forth on this LN since it was released. If I got one, it would be the back lock version, but the slip joint might be good, too (when it finally gets released).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I prefer the Lil Native. As others have said, I like the robust size of the Lil Native compared to the Dragonfly.

IF the Lil Native existed when I first got into Spyderco, I probably would have settled with that and doubt I'd have the collection I do today. It hits on so many characteristics I wanted from a knife, its just about perfect for me.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Neither are my cup of tea, but the Lil Native handle works a lot better for me than the Dragonfly. The prominent thumbramp of the latter digs into my thumb, and the scooped out area for the middle and ring fingers isn't as comfortable as the shape the Native and Caly families use.

That being said I prefer the thinner stock of the Dragonfly. The Lil Native is way too thick for that size of a knife in my eyes. It's much thicker at the spine than my Manix XL or Police 4, and I can't think of a single benefit to that.
:unicorn
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I had and preferred the Lil’ Native. The complaints about blade thickness is way overblown in actual use. Sure, for some things, the DF is a bit better slicer, but in my experience for tasks I actually used the knives for, I could tell little difference. The Lil’ Native ergonomics is much better than the DF, fits the hand better in different grips where the DF is skinny and uncomfortable after a while.

I’ve had a number of DFs and did not expect the Lil’ Native to be such a better knife for me. I prefer the compression lock and wire clip. I would buy another Lil’ Native before any DF.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Holland

Post by Holland »

The lil native is way too thick for that size of knife imo.

I would definitely go with the dragonfly for cutting performance
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Love my lil native compression lock. i even modded mine.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Holland wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:26 pm
The lil native is way too thick for that size of knife imo.

I would definitely go with the dragonfly for cutting performance
As I said earlier, the difference in practical performance is minimal. I say this from experience with both knives. If one is trying to slice garlic thin enough to read through, maybe but in practical terms the difference in blade thickness is negligible.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
araneae

Post by araneae »

Having both, I would say my preference is still for an frn d'fly. I find the comp lock awkward on the native, and prefer the backlock version. It is solid and well built as is the g-10 d'fly; still an frn d'fly wins my vote every time.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:31 am
Mr Blonde wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:28 am

Pretty much exactly this. I think the Lil Native back lock is so well made. Just solid and smooth and looking good. Nice job, Eric. I put a small fob to lengthen the handle, like I do the Dfly, and it's perfect. Of course, I have a lot of Dflies, and it's such a good knife, I made a vid of it. I say both. I really hope the Lil Native makes it to FRN. Oh, momma.
As often is the case, I, I agree with most of what you said. FRN lil would be sweet, but not sure it could unseat the d'fly.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yeah, they really are two entirely different knives. Dfly is a lot thinner and “pocketknifey”. It is popular for a reason.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Markana

Post by Markana »

I'd rather have a Cat.Dragonfly has too much curve in the handle.Not familiar with the lilnative.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Voted dragonfly, i have never handled a Lil native so I could be wrong.
I think That the compression lock is better in medium/large knives though.
#the rhino is great, but would be greater as a liner/framelock, in my opinion. :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Different opinions are interesting. I have had both knives and I prefer the Lil’ Native. I have also had the Rhino with compression lock and I must say I don’t see why compression locks are not suitable for small knives. It worked very well on both of them.

Team Innovation