V-Toku2 Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderScout

V-Toku2 Endura

Post by SpyderScout »

Ive been pretty happy with my Endura Zome VG10 and have always been quite satisfied with my Spyderco VG10 knives in general.
I am certainly not amongst those turning up their noses at this excellent kitchen and folding knife steel.

How ever, when there was a chance to buy a Spyderco in V-Toku2, I jumped at the chance and bought an Endura from KnifeCenter.
Because I also have a couple of other knives in approximately the same size (a Caly in ZDP-189, which isone of my favorite steels and the aforementioned VG10 Endura), Ive only now gotten around to using the V-Toku2 Endura.

Holy 'carp' that thing is sharp!
(almost rhymes :) )

Whilst the VG10 Endura is fine, the V-Toku2 is just on another level.
What a beauty of a knife and what a slicer. It came screaming sharp from Spyderco via KnifeCenter.
Lamination lines looks great. One side slightly lower than the other side, which doesnt bother me at all.
I wouldnt care an iota, if they were more uneven to tell the truth.
The slighty uneven lines are part of the charm IMO.
I very much look forward to using this one more in the future.

Ive read several of the V-Toku2 threads but would like to hear what owers think of V-Toku2 Spyderco knives at this point after having used theirs for a while.

holeshot

Re: V-Toku2 Endura

Post by holeshot »

I’ve been carrying her for a while and it’s indeed an excellent slicer and YES mine came razor sharp out of the box. Love this knife :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

holeshot wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:07 am
I’ve been carrying her for a while and it’s indeed an excellent slicer and YES mine came razor sharp out of the box. Love this knife :)
Sounds good.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Some posted about the text on the V-Toku2 in another thread. On my Endura it looks just fine. Not that I care that much about that, as this is a user.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I am really enjoying mine, especially after I swapped the stock clip for a blue MXG deep carry. I’m generally building my Spyderco collection as a “type” one. This means I'm TRYING to stick to only one example of each model that interests me. The V-Toku2 sprint is a fine representative of the Endura family. I really like the handle color, and the steel is an interesting one. I haven't had any issues with rust, and I like the patina that has developed. It is easy to sharpen on my Sharpmaker, and holds a fine edge nicely. The insert says that Vtoku2 is “renowned for it's toughness at high hardness”, which intrigues me. I don’t know how hard the Seki factory is actually running it, and most likely won't push the limit of its toughness in my uses, but I do favor tougher steels, that are also easy to sharpen.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I honestly hope this isn't a one-and-done sort of affair with this steel.
I think if would be great with some wharncliffes and thinner blades
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:11 am
I am really enjoying mine, especially after I swapped the stock clip for a blue MXG deep carry. I’m generally building my Spyderco collection as a “type” one. This means I'm TRYING to stick to only one example of each model that interests me. The V-Toku2 sprint is a fine representative of the Endura family. I really like the handle color, and the steel is an interesting one. I haven't had any issues with rust, and I like the patina that has developed. It is easy to sharpen on my Sharpmaker, and holds a fine edge nicely. The insert says that Vtoku2 is “renowned for it's toughness at high hardness”, which intrigues me. I don’t know how hard the Seki factory is actually running it, and most likely won't push the limit of its toughness in my uses, but I do favor tougher steels, that are also easy to sharpen.
Ive got a MXG deep carry on one of my Spyderco knives. Im not sure whether or not it works for me. I dont carry the knife with the deep carry clip for SD. For those who carry a knife for SD (where legal), it doesnt make much sense to deep carry - at least not to me.
Just seems to make the knife a tad more laborious to extract from the pocket is all and thats the part that wouldnt appeal to me (were I carrying the knife in question for SD, which Im not). No biggie how ever. The clips seems well made and I get the 'low profile' appeal to some.

The 'type one' Spyderco knife, I can relate to, LOL. I at one time did adhere to the school of having duplicates of my favorite Spyderco knives, as I figured Id have a spare, if one got worn out or lost. Ive come to my senses and realized, that like many here, I have more knives than Ill ever be able to wear out. Some will have to go at some point. Here a couple of my favorite Spyderco knives. Please excuse the oil/dust;

The V-Toku2 is indeed a fine representative. Kudos for bringing this steel in an affordable package to the market. I like the almost 'pale' handle color as well - almost as much as Coyote Brown :). I agree, that the steel is able to be easily and effortlessly being sharpened is great. V-Toku2 can be scary sharp.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Marulaghost wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:55 am
I wholeheartedly agree.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderScout wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:48 am
Catamount123 wrote:
Ive got a MXG deep carry on one of my Spyderco knives. Im not sure whether or not it works for me. I dont carry the knife with the deep carry clip for SD. For those who carry a knife for SD (where legal), it doesnt make much sense to deep carry - at least not to me.
Just seems to make the knife a tad more laborious to extract from the pocket is all and thats the part that wouldnt appeal to me (were I carrying the knife in question for SD, which Im not). No biggie how ever. The clips seems well made and I get the 'low profile' appeal to some.

The 'type one' Spyderco knife, I can relate to, LOL. I at one time did adhere to the school of having duplicates of my favorite Spyderco knives, as I figured Id have a spare, if one got worn out or lost. Ive come to my senses and realized, that like many here, I have more knives than Ill ever be able to wear out. Some will have to go at some point. Here a couple of my favorite Spyderco knives. Please excuse the oil/dust;

The V-Toku2 is indeed a fine representative. Kudos for bringing this steel in an affordable package to the market. I like the almost 'pale' handle color as well - almost as much as Coyote Brown :). I agree, that the steel is able to be easily and effortlessly being sharpened is great. V-Toku2 can be scary sharp.
If you ever need help getting rid of a Streat Beat.....you know who to call ;)
:unicorn
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:36 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:48 am
Catamount123 wrote:

If you ever need help getting rid of a Streat Beat.....you know who to call ;)
Will do.
The SB and Street Bowie are awesome knives.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

The Endura in vtoku is one of those knives I got to try out the steel but has unexpectedly become my most carried knife for the last 3 months. This steel is just so easy and fast to strop back to a hair popping edge it’s crazy. IMO, it’s easier than cruwear or 52100. It has pushed its way into my top 3 favorite steels. I think they really knocked it out of the park with the handle color too. Overall, a great run.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

I cannot agree more with the sentiments of Marulaghost and blueblur. I highly wish to see this steel become more of a mainstay, much like HAP40 has become with future limited runs within the Japanese produced line of knives. Top Spyderco release for me :spyder:
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Marulaghost wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:55 am
blueblur wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:35 am
The Endura in vtoku is one of those knives I got to try out the steel but has unexpectedly become my most carried knife for the last 3 months. This steel is just so easy and fast to strop back to a hair popping edge it’s crazy. ...... It has pushed its way into my top 3 favorite steels. I think they really knocked it out of the park with the handle color too. Overall, a great run.
weeping minora wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:25 pm
I cannot agree more with the sentiments of Marulaghost and blueblur. I highly wish to see this steel become more of a mainstay, much like HAP40 has become with future limited runs within the Japanese produced line of knives. Top Spyderco release for me :spyder:
Ditto. An instant favorite. Great steel in an affordable package. Couldnt be more pleased.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Do V-Toku2 users leave the edge slightly 'toothy' or smoother, more polished?

I might prefer the former.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

V-toku owners: What what would you guys compare the steel's edge retention to? Is it anything like 52100 or S30V
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

SpyderScout wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:46 am
Do V-Toku2 users leave the edge slightly 'toothy' or smoother, more polished?

I might prefer the former.
I left the factory edge but i've been stropping it to a nice polish.

I kinda wish Michael Christy would have a say
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Here the lam lines on mine.
Line on one side is slightly lower than the line on the other side.
This seems to bother some people but I dont mind. Quite the contrary. Its part of the charm of a laminated blade IMO.

Give me interesting and charming workhorse knives with slightly uneven laminated lines and scratches in the SUS410 over dime-a-dozen knives any day of the week and twice on Sundays :D
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Ready for a Wharn sprint in V-Toku2
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

To me the patina and scratches on the blade remind me of a set of old working hands or a truck that's really been put through its paces.
It's something i respect

I'm so down for a wharnie
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Marulaghost wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:45 pm
To me the patina and scratches on the blade remind me of a set of old working hands or a truck that's really been put through its paces.
It's something i respect

I'm so down for a wharnie
Ditto.

A wharnie wouldnt be bad. Must admit that after using the Endura, I badly want a V-Toku2 Delica as well. Sadly, KnifeCenter is out.