Why no Sleipner?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Why no Sleipner?

Post by archangel »

I get that it's a European steel, and that it's expensive. But :spyder: produces is Maniago, and the Pingo sprint run was kind of pricey at regular MAP pricing, so... Are there other good reasons why there has never been a Sleipner steel spydie?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
RazorSharp86

Re: Why no Sleipner?

Post by RazorSharp86 »

My guess is that Sleipner steel doesn’t have enough benefits to justify its price.
Also, D2 which is rather similar to Sleipner is not frequently used in Spyderco knives, probably for similar reasons.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't think Sleipner is actually similar to D2 at all. I think that's an internet myth created by the fact that the manufacturer says "can be used to replace D2 in situations..." or something like that.

In my experience with various blades I own, I really don't find them similar at all.

I know that at one point Sal said "the Italians" were trying to convince him to do something with Sleipner.

I'd love to see some sprints in Sleipner, although the logical choice would be the Urban, and the smallest thing I've used Sleipner in is the SR-1, so I'm not sure what it would be like in something like the Urban.

I'd buy anything sprinted in Sleipner though. Pingo, Urban..whatever. I'd even give the LionSpy another try if they did a Sleipner run.
archangel

Post by archangel »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:05 pm
I don't think Sleipner is actually similar to D2 at all. I think that's an internet myth created by the fact that the manufacturer says "can be used to replace D2 in situations..." or something like that.

In my experience with various blades I own, I really don't find them similar at all.

I know that at one point Sal said "the Italians" were trying to convince him to do something with Sleipner.

I'd love to see some sprints in Sleipner, although the logical choice would be the Urban, and the smallest thing I've used Sleipner in is the SR-1, so I'm not sure what it would be like in something like the Urban.

I'd buy anything sprinted in Sleipner though. Pingo, Urban..whatever. I'd even give the LionSpy another try if they did a Sleipner run.

I was hoping someone would say that.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:

Tom, what would you compare Sleipner to?
Thanx Tom.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:49 pm
TomAiello wrote:

Tom, what would you compare Sleipner to?
Thanx Tom.
P.S. many times I have almost bought a Lionsteel S7 in Sleipner.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

For me, I'd say Sleipner is like 3v but with better edge holding.

I have a couple fixed blades in Sleipner and I suspect that a machete made from it would be really outstanding. I've used those knives to baton through stuff (just messing around with them) and the edge holds up really well. It's possible that Lionsteel convex grind makes it seem tougher than it really is, but it seems really, really tough to me--like 3v. I'd love to get some time with a Sleipner in a thin FFG to really test that out though.

I've recently started exploring the advantages of tough material in thin edges (I have a Nitrobe 77 slicer in the kitchen that's been really interesting to play with), and it seems to me that tougher steel holds a "working edge" longer (maybe because there is less micro-chipping? I dunno), so it would be pretty cool to see Sleipner in something like the Urban (with a thin FFG blade) to test it out.
Last edited by TomAiello on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Link to thread I started on Sleipner last year: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77446

In that thread, someone compared it to a less stainless Cruwear, which is probably a fair comparison as well.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Lionsteel offers some wicked knives. And they use Sleipner alot. Hard to imagine they'd use a steel without a superb quality.

Spyderco's catalogue is incomplete without a Sleipner steel knife.
Michael
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:44 am
I get that it's a European steel, and that it's expensive. But :spyder: produces is Maniago, and the Pingo sprint run was kind of pricey at regular MAP pricing, so... Are there other good reasons why there has never been a Sleipner steel spydie?
Because we have CPM Cruwear.
:)
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:59 pm
For me, I'd say Sleipner is like 3v but with better edge holding.

I have a couple fixed blades in Sleipner and I suspect that a machete made from it would be really outstanding. I've used those knives to baton through stuff (just messing around with them) and the edge holds up really well. It's possible that Lionsteel convex grind makes it seem tougher than it really is, but it seems really, really tough to me--like 3v. I'd love to get some time with a Sleipner in a thin FFG to really test that out though.

I've recently started exploring the advantages of tough material in thin edges (I have a Nitrobe 77 slicer in the kitchen that's been really interesting to play with), and it seems to me that tougher steel holds a "working edge" longer (maybe because there is less micro-chipping? I dunno), so it would be pretty cool to see Sleipner in something like the Urban (with a thin FFG blade) to test it out.
Wow! That's saying something. Man.....should've gotten that S7 lol!
Thanx Tom :D
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Sleipner is a "better" D2 in the engineering world.
When chipping takes place using D2, Sleipner is an improvement, as the Chromium is 8% versus 12% in D2.

See below?
https://www.uddeholm.com/app/uploads/si ... 09_e11.pdf

I have made around less than 200 knives in D2 in my time as a knifemaker, and only two complaints about chipping, from memory.

FYI, CRK changed from D2 to A2 in the one piece knife range to reduce the chipping.

I would be curious to try Sleipner when time permits, and it's cost is a tad more, but the benefits might be worth it, I guess?

It seems to be between A2 and D2 in edge holding, and it is a steel that will corrode just as quick as D2.
Toughness is it's forte.