lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rabbitanarchy14

lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I really would think that something as popular as the manix 2 they would make a lil for the ppl who legally can't carry over 3". The manix 2 imo should have been 3" while the xl 3.5 so that way the regular model and the lil would be legal in my state as is the para 3 and lil native. Mr. Sall sir can we please get a lil manix 2 whith the ball lock and in db1n and s35vn. Please let me know if anyone would be interested in normal midsize knives.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
The Meat man

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Post by The Meat man »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:40 pm
I really would think that something as popular as the manix 2 they would make a lil for the ppl who legally can't carry over 3". The manix 2 imo should have been 3" while the xl 3.5 so that way the regular model and the lil would be legal in my state as is the para 3 and lil native. Mr. Sall sir can we please get a lil manix 2 whith the ball lock and in db1n and s35vn. Please let me know if anyone would be interested in normal midsize knives.

Isn't the Native 5 pretty close to what you want? Aside from the different lock.

And BTW welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
rabbitanarchy14

Thank you and yes, it is the lock that is holding me up. i play with my knives as you would a fidget spinner. As far as i feel, the backlock is not something i have ever liked, have to move my hand alot let alone the spring compression will bite if the blade does not open far enough. i would be interested in a native 5 g10 compression lock m390 jade or ball lock on a native 5 and lil native, with a softer spring.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
attila

Post by attila »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote: I really would think that something as popular as the manix 2 they would make a lil for the ppl who legally can't carry over 3". The manix 2 imo should have been 3" while the xl 3.5 so that way the regular model and the lil would be legal in my state as is the para 3 and lil native. Mr. Sall sir can we please get a lil manix 2 whith the ball lock and in db1n and s35vn. Please let me know if anyone would be interested in normal midsize knives.
Hi rabbitanarchy14!

Several of us have been asking for a sub-3" CBBL Mini Manix for quite some time. I'd even like a 2.5" CBBL knife to allow carry of a CBBL in some federal facilities.

Don't, however, be dissuaded by anyone who talks down to or pokes fun at those of us who would like the CBBL in a smaller package.

We need more people to request it, so that it has a chance at coming to fruition.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Only problem is the handle. If you make that any smaller, you would have to use the choil to hold the knife. If youre ok with that, I can't think of any other issues.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:48 pm
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:

Isn't the Native 5 pretty close to what you want? Aside from the different lock.

Exactly my thinking. The lock is different yes, but you even have slightly better ergos on the scales when you choose the N5.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:45 am
Only problem is the handle. If you make that any smaller, you would have to use the choil to hold the knife. If youre ok with that, I can't think of any other issues.
Exactly. I don't think people realize that the handle will feel completely different. It will essentially be a new model.... so why no pick something Spyderco already offers?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I think it's possible for people who want something as close as possible in spirit to the Manix 2. As long as they keep in mind that it will be a single grip position knife that utilizes a 50/50 choil. As opposed to a 2 position grip knife like the manix 2. Another option would be to eliminate the 50/50 choil and move the gaurd forward.

I would also add that in my opinion the native 5 really doesn't make a great mini manix. Why not give people what they want? Look how well the para3 is selling.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:46 am
The Meat man wrote:
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:

Exactly my thinking. The lock is different yes, but you even have slightly better ergos on the scales when you choose the N5.
i agree that the native is very similar to what a small manix would be. however, i find the ergos lacking slightly in comparison to the manix. the manix disappears into my hand even though it is blocky. i don’t know if it’s because the native is smaller or what, but the blockiness of the handle, even though slightly less pronounced on the native, is more noticeable in hand to me.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

As stated, I wouldn't want the handle any smaller. If it was a legality issue and I absolutely wanted a particular knife, I'd shortien/modify the blade to my liking in little time.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

You could have a third position on the manix if you tried.. its not the most ergonomic but its there... your pinky hangs past the cut at the end similar to a Para 3's 2nd grip. What can happen for a Manix Jr. would be to take out the main handle choil, leaving it with just the 50/50 and maybe extending the last bit a little longer, like a Para 3 but not as fat. It would have 2 grip options just like a para 3.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If you actually want a sub-3” Manix 2 all you need to do is grind 3/8” off the tip. Do it carefully (don’t let it overheat) but this is at most a 20 minute exercise. You can also do it with a file.
rabbitanarchy14

i agree with most of you. i really do. it is just a lock type issue, i hated their delica and df because of the backlock. if they offered the n5 in better lock types like they did the sage series and are doing with the lil native then the n5 easily could have a compression lock or cbbl. i just dont feel comfortable in grinding .4" off the blade and more that 3/4" off the handle of a manix 2 just to get it the correct size, i feel spyderco would do a better job than i could. i have added sharpening choils to my knives and thats about it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sub 3" manix is definitely a dream knife for me.

I'd love a native or chaparral sized knife with the CBBL.

I think that at one point Sal said it was hard to fit that lock into the smaller sizes, though.

Still, I'm dreaming with you...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:46 am
The Meat man wrote:
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:

I have the Native 5 as a travel option (and the Chap, also). I strongly prefer the CBBL, which is what a mini Manix would bring to the table.
vivi

Post by vivi »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
3.5" blade knives are small. Calling that an XL would be silly.

If you want a mini mini manix, try the Native. They share a lot of similarities besires the thumb ramp differences.

Or, as others have stated, spend 20 minutes with some low grit sand paper on a regular Manix. Then you have a legal to carry knife with every feature you want, and you aren't forced to use the index choil for a full grip. I'm genuinely surprised more folks don't do this. Bigger handles are more versatile and comfortable.

Personally the XL is as small as I want to go with a knife like the Manix. I tried the mini version in both G10 and FRCP and it didn't do it for me. I'd be interested in an XXL, however :D
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Maybe I'm being sensitive here but I don't understand why some seem so against the idea. 'Shave a few inches off of a regular manix', 'get a native, it's close enough'.

I mean if Spyderco doesn't think there's a demand for it, or if it's too much effort to pull off that's one thing. But barring that... 'shave a few inches off a regular Manix'? By that logic, why make a para3 (the very popular para3) after all you could just shave a few inches off the blade and handle of a para2. Same difference right? Why would anyone bother buying a para 3? Why dont they just buy a Native? It's pretty close to Para 3, sure the lock is different and so is the blade, but it IS close. Right?

Sorry if that comes across a little salty :o but I hope you understand where I'm coming from, I get not everyones into the idea, but why shoot it down, or tell them what they really need is something else?

(Also I hope Vivi gets more Manix XL sprints too :D )

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 am

I mean if Spyderco doesn't think there's a demand for it, or if it's too much effort to pull off that's one thing. But barring that... 'shave a few inches off a regular Manix'? By that logic, why make a para3 (the very popular para3) after all you could just shave a few inches off the blade and handle of a para2. Same difference right? Why would anyone bother buying a para 3? Why dont they just buy a Native? It's pretty close to Para 3, sure the lock is different and so is the blade, but it IS close. Right?

I really dislike when people do this too, bro. You're not being salty. Much as I love the Native, I think that would be a cool knife... of course, it would have to be a back lock. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think it would be a great knife to scale down a bit, but i think it would be too close to the native to be worth the production for spyderco. i don’t think people are saying it’s a bad idea. they are just trying to help you see if something that already exists could fit what you are looking for.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
elena86

Post by elena86 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 am
Maybe I'm being sensitive here but I don't understand why some seem so against the idea. 'Shave a few inches off of a regular manix', 'get a native, it's close enough'.

Sorry if that comes across a little salty :o but I hope you understand where I'm coming from, I get not everyones into the idea, but why shoot it down, or tell them what they really need is something else?

(Also I hope Vivi gets more Manix XL sprints too :D )

I am with you on this one. A 3 inch CBBL Manix would be a great daily user and a nice platform for future sprints.
Last edited by elena86 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red