lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3599
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby TomAiello » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:37 am

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:24 am
i think it would be a great knife to scale down a bit, but i think it would be too close to the native to be worth the production for spyderco. i don’t think people are saying it’s a bad idea. they are just trying to help you see if something that already exists could fit what you are looking for.
The native doesn't have the CBBL. That's a primary criteria for me.

User avatar
spyderg
Member
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Middle of Canada

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby spyderg » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:25 pm

I’ve said a few times that I’d love a dragonfly sized Manix like cbbl fidgeters dream small knife.

Not sure if it’d fill the spot you’re needling to but Qball?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4908
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby ZrowsN1s » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Jazz wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:40 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 am

I mean if Spyderco doesn't think there's a demand for it, or if it's too much effort to pull off that's one thing. But barring that... 'shave a few inches off a regular Manix'? By that logic, why make a para3 (the very popular para3) after all you could just shave a few inches off the blade and handle of a para2. Same difference right? Why would anyone bother buying a para 3? Why dont they just buy a Native? It's pretty close to Para 3, sure the lock is different and so is the blade, but it IS close. Right?

I really dislike when people do this too, bro. You're not being salty. Much as I love the Native, I think that would be a cool knife... of course, it would have to be a back lock. ;)
:D
elena86 wrote: ...
I am with you on this one. A 3 inch CBBL Manix would be a great daily user and a nice platform for future sprints.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would be popular.
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
aquaman67
Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby aquaman67 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:46 pm

I would be down for a mini Manix 2.

User avatar
attila
Member
Posts: 1131
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Maryland

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby attila » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:54 pm

elena86 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:36 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 am
Maybe I'm being sensitive here but I don't understand why some seem so against the idea. 'Shave a few inches off of a regular manix', 'get a native, it's close enough'.

I mean if Spyderco doesn't think there's a demand for it, or if it's too much effort to pull off that's one thing. But barring that... 'shave a few inches off a regular Manix'? By that logic, why make a para3 (the very popular para3) after all you could just shave a few inches off the blade and handle of a para2. Same difference right? Why would anyone bother buying a para 3? Why dont they just buy a Native? It's pretty close to Para 3, sure the lock is different and so is the blade, but it IS close. Right?

Sorry if that comes across a little salty :o but I hope you understand where I'm coming from, I get not everyones into the idea, but why shoot it down, or tell them what they really need is something else?

(Also I hope Vivi gets more Manix XL sprints too :D )

I am with you on this one. A 3 inch CBBL Manix would be a great daily user and a nice platform for future sprints.
TomAiello wrote:
ladybug93 wrote: i think it would be a great knife to scale down a bit, but i think it would be too close to the native to be worth the production for spyderco. i don’t think people are saying it’s a bad idea. they are just trying to help you see if something that already exists could fit what you are looking for.
The native doesn't have the CBBL. That's a primary criteria for me.
I agree with Marius, Matt, and Tom.

If the Native came as a CBBL, it'd probably be my favorite or at least most carried knife. That is, until a more awesome 3" CBBL knife came around.
Own: VG-10 Delica, Old S30V Native, modified Breeden Rescue, VG-10 Delica, HAP40 Endura, ZDP-189 Dragonfly, S110V Manix 2 LW,Pakkawood Delica, Cruwear Para 3, SE H1 Dragonfly, M4 Manix 2, HAP40 Caly 3, smooth G10 S90V Native, K390 Urban, Pakkawood Dragonfly, smooth G10 Cruwear PM2, SE Pacific Salt, HAP40 Jazzlica, Blurple Native, P.I.T.S., DLC Manix 2, REX 45 PM2, REX 45 Para 3, XHP Manix 2 LW, Superblue Caly 3, DLT 20CV PM2, Rhino, SB Calypso Jr., B70P, PMA11, K03, G10 ZDP-189 Stretch 2, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix 2 LW, KW 204p PM2, Swick, Supergold Delica, back lock Lil'Native, AEB-L Urban, HAP40 Stretch, smooth G10 Cruwear Manix 2, Cruwear Military, M390 PM2, Cruwear Delica, CPM 4V Lil'Native, Mantra 2, Cru-Carta Shaman, M390 Para 3 LW, M390 Manix 2, K390 Police 4, RexWood Shaman, DLC Cruwear Shaman.

Waiting for: K490, Swick 5, and something purple
.

zhyla
Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby zhyla » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:10 pm

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 am
Maybe I'm being sensitive here but I don't understand why some seem so against the idea. 'Shave a few inches off of a regular manix', 'get a native, it's close enough'.
I think people are just trying to be helpful. Most here can see Spyderco isn't going to make Manix 2 versions so similar in length. So to try to be helpful people suggest the most similar knife they can think of, and the Native 5 is certainly a plausible suggestion.

I'm a little confused by this thread, some people saying a 3" Manix 2 is their dream knife, but literally anyone can shave 1/4" off a stock Manix 2. Why not just do that?
spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:25 pm
I’ve said a few times that I’d love a dragonfly sized Manix like cbbl fidgeters dream small knife.
That's an interesting idea but I think it's tough to make a small knife around the CBBL. You need a lot of handle to actuate the CBBL lock efficiently. And the CBBL doesn't scale down very well, the spring diameter I think would limit how thin the blade stock can be. Maybe you could carve out some space in the scales to accommodate the spring. Plus making molds for a smaller cage is quite the investment.

User avatar
spyderg
Member
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Middle of Canada

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby spyderg » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:50 pm

zhyla wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:10 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 am
Maybe I'm being sensitive here but I don't understand why some seem so against the idea. 'Shave a few inches off of a regular manix', 'get a native, it's close enough'.
I think people are just trying to be helpful. Most here can see Spyderco isn't going to make Manix 2 versions so similar in length. So to try to be helpful people suggest the most similar knife they can think of, and the Native 5 is certainly a plausible suggestion.

I'm a little confused by this thread, some people saying a 3" Manix 2 is their dream knife, but literally anyone can shave 1/4" off a stock Manix 2. Why not just do that?
spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:25 pm
I’ve said a few times that I’d love a dragonfly sized Manix like cbbl fidgeters dream small knife.


That's an interesting idea but I think it's tough to make a small knife around the CBBL. You need a lot of handle to actuate the CBBL lock efficiently. And the CBBL doesn't scale down very well, the spring diameter I think would limit how thin the blade stock can be. Maybe you could carve out some space in the scales to accommodate the spring. Plus making molds for a smaller cage is quite the investment.
I’m not saying it’s an easy one but if anyone can do it Spyderco can. It’d likely have to be a bit bigger than a dragonfly but I don’t think by too much. Smaller spring would make the action lighter reducing the amount of grip you’d need in the handle to use it.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?

zhyla
Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby zhyla » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:12 pm

spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:50 pm
I’m not saying it’s an easy one but if anyone can do it Spyderco can. It’d likely have to be a bit bigger than a dragonfly but I don’t think by too much. Smaller spring would make the action lighter reducing the amount of grip you’d need in the handle to use it.
No, coil springs only come so tiny. And the desired spring strength is roughly the same in a smaller knife as a large knife. The spring follower is around 0.050" in diameter (going from memory here) which is also about as small as you're going to go with any kind of strength. If you take a Manix 2 apart and look at how it works you'll see that it's not a simple lock to miniaturize.

Any changes to the cage would incur the huge injection mold NRE cost. Nice daydream, maybe, but I'd be surprised if Spyderco sees profit in that daydream.

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4908
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby ZrowsN1s » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:24 pm

zhyla wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:10 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 am
Maybe I'm being sensitive here but I don't understand why some seem so against the idea. 'Shave a few inches off of a regular manix', 'get a native, it's close enough'.
I think people are just trying to be helpful. Most here can see Spyderco isn't going to make Manix 2 versions so similar in length. So to try to be helpful people suggest the most similar knife they can think of, and the Native 5 is certainly a plausible suggestion.

I'm a little confused by this thread, some people saying a 3" Manix 2 is their dream knife, but literally anyone can shave 1/4" off a stock Manix 2. Why not just do that?
Well thank you for trying to be helpful. But respectfully the Para Military 2 has a 3.4 inch blade, the manix 2 has a 3.3 inch blade. I would again point to the wildly popular para 3 and ask, by your logic, why would spyderco make a para 3 or why would anyone buy a para 3, when you can just shave down a para 2? ....And yet, there is spyderco making a para 3, and there is the knife community loving the para 3 and buying a ton of them... even though the para 3 only has a .4" inch blade length difference with the para 2.

Myself and others don't wish to make our own modded manix and don't want a native instead. I already own a very nice manix 2 and several Native 5's, what I want is a manix 3. Is it really that hard to see the appeal of a manix 3? They make a para 3 and a pm2, given how popular the para3 is, what makes you think they'd never make a manix 3?

And literally everyone can't just shave 1/4" off a knife. Most people I know can't sharpen a knife let alone mod one (not to mention fix the DLC coating after you grind into it). Im sure plenty of knife afi's on the forum can mod a knife, but believe it or not, regular people who have never ventured onto a knife forum, never modded a knife, and maybe never purchased a spyderco before, might be really interested in buying a 3" manix. Who knows, it might be the next "para 3".
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
cabfrank
Member
Posts: 658
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby cabfrank » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:42 am

Sounds completely plausible to me.

User avatar
spyderg
Member
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Middle of Canada

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby spyderg » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:16 am

zhyla wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:12 pm
spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:50 pm
I’m not saying it’s an easy one but if anyone can do it Spyderco can. It’d likely have to be a bit bigger than a dragonfly but I don’t think by too much. Smaller spring would make the action lighter reducing the amount of grip you’d need in the handle to use it.
No, coil springs only come so tiny. And the desired spring strength is roughly the same in a smaller knife as a large knife. The spring follower is around 0.050" in diameter (going from memory here) which is also about as small as you're going to go with any kind of strength. If you take a Manix 2 apart and look at how it works you'll see that it's not a simple lock to miniaturize.

Any changes to the cage would incur the huge injection mold NRE cost. Nice daydream, maybe, but I'd be surprised if Spyderco sees profit in that daydream.
It is perhaps too cost prohibitive for Spyderco to pursue, however I still think it’s possible to do. Coil springs come in many sizes, I’ve got a container full of tiny coil springs in my Airsoft spare parts container. Now most those ones aren’t likely stiff enough but small stiff springs are made. Also in a smaller version I think a spring with about 1/2 the tension would be sufficient. How many folks on her have taken to modding their Manix for less spring tension as it is? Titanium instead of plastic cage. They could do it, it’ll likely never happen, but I think they could.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?

Cone10down
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:15 am

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby Cone10down » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:42 pm

:D I love my Delica. That said, if there was a cbbl available in a similar form factor as the Delica when I got it, it would have surely made that choice much tougher. Starting to look at the Mantra 3 with the compression lock for just that reason.
The caveat is that I'm really digging the hap40 on my Delica, so I've put myself in a bit of a pickle on my next knife. :D

Joey
Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby Joey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:25 am

I’d buy a few mini Manix’s! Even without the lock in question, a Native 5 simply doesn’t fit the role if you ask me, either. That’s like telling someone to go buy a mini griptillian for their mini Manix needs.

User avatar
abbazaba
Member
Posts: 3071
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby abbazaba » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:07 pm

This has certainly been a theme over the years. It seems like it would be worth a shot given the interest... I know I'd buy one.

Marulaghost
Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby Marulaghost » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Which sage had the bolt lock

User avatar
Tucson Tom
Member
Posts: 1161
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 pm
Location: Somewhere in Arizona

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby Tucson Tom » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:02 pm

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 am
... why make a para3 (the very popular para3) after all you could just shave a few inches off the blade and handle of a para2. Same difference right? Why would anyone bother buying a para 3? Why dont they just buy a Native? It's pretty close to Para 3, sure the lock is different and so is the blade, but it IS close. Right?
Absolutely. I have never seen the point of the Para 3. Everything you say is spot on. I am with you bro !

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3599
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby TomAiello » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Marulaghost wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:18 pm
Which sage had the bolt lock
Sage 3. It came with two different handle materials, if I remember right. I think it was blue g-10 and carbon fiber, at different times.

AccountDeletedUserRequest
Member
Posts: 6612
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby AccountDeletedUserRequest » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Joey wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:25 am
I’d buy a few mini Manix’s!
Here's a mini-manix for sale :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Original- ... SwIelcXNr3

;)

MMGRenovations
Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby MMGRenovations » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:35 pm

I for sure would love to see it happen. I don't necessarily want a scaled down version of the original. More like the Para 3 that's a chopped version of the PM2. To help picture it I found this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59100

Joey
Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: lil manix 2, if dreams came true

Postby Joey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:59 pm

Vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:44 pm
Joey wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:25 am
I’d buy a few mini Manix’s!
Here's a mini-manix for sale :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Original- ... SwIelcXNr3

;)
Not bad. Make it a tad smaller, add the CBBL, and knock $150 off and I’m sold! Backlocks are great, but they usually aren’t necessary for my uses. CBBL is plenty tough and I wish they used it more often.

Were those gen 1 Manix’s smaller?


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: archangel, Dazen, Google [Bot], marboleda, MSN [Bot], sal, TkoK83Spy, ugaarguy and 28 guests