Who wants a Spyderco "Sharpened Pry Bar"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Who wants a Spyderco "Sharpened Pry Bar"?

Post by Pelagic »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:36 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:47 pm
I kinda wish the phrase "sharpened prybar" didn't exist. It must stem from people perceiving an amount of toughness on a knife as unnecessary and childishly making fun of it because they've never been in a setting where toughness matters. There's probably people out there that use a box cutter for everything and think every person who owns a pocketknife has settled for an inferior slicer and must feel the need to pry with the blade. Lol.
Well I appreciate you posting this. Here is why I used the term. Yes, it was originally used in a disparaging, joking sense. And I too, used to use it in that sense and in that context. But, I discovered a new found respect for it when the famous Ken Warner, knife periodical and book author, seller, and designer, used the term in a positive light. Amazingly, he did that back in the 1970s and 1980s, and so the term was known at least back then.

His definition of a sharpened pry bar was not a low-quality knife but a good quality knife that was most likely at least 3.5 mm thick and greater, and which had edges and points designed for toughness and strength, such as flat grind, full flat grind, saber grind, etc, as opposed to thin and hollow grind blades.

My "holy grail" for a quality sharpened pry bar I have mentioned would be thick LC200N Stainless steel.
I hear you, I wasn't singling you out AT ALL. But I could see some people took the term literally and misunderstood your question. It would be like me calling a Chaparral a box cutter. It would be inaccurate and I'd be childishly making fun of thin knives, seemingly because I'm incapable of appreciating them.

I just feel the "sharpened pry bar" phrase has GENERALLY gotten out of hand. Surprisingly, some people exist who appreciate toughness in folders while simultaneously never prying with them.

:D
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I don't have a desire for another beefy folder. The Tuff is beefy enough and I am fairly pleased with it's cutting ability. It will never be what the Stretch, Endura or Delica are as far as slicers but it is respectable.

By an interesting comparison, my Z-wear Strider SNG is a better slicer than the Tuff and many consider it a prybar. YMMV
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:39 pm
I have wished for the same thing as you stated above, and other examples, as you also stated, for them to make.

You see, my friend, what you and I need is for the replicator to be made, and advanced, and then companies like Spyderco would be able to simply write up codes and designs for these and other knives, and we pay for the blue prints, and reproduce the knife at home or elsewhere. Then they would no longer be limited to the market costs and capital costs of having to invest in a run of tens of thousands of knives. But that is for another discussion.
I'll wait for Spyderco to do it. It's just a matter of time till they flex those muscles and bury half dozen knife makers.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

xceptnl wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:07 pm
I don't have a desire for another beefy folder. The Tuff is beefy enough and I am fairly pleased with it's cutting ability. It will never be what the Stretch, Endura or Delica are as far as slicers but it is respectable.

By an interesting comparison, my Z-wear Strider SNG is a better slicer than the Tuff and many consider it a prybar. YMMV
The Tuff is discontinued and never coming back though. Striders are not prybars nor is the Tuff, nor is the cold steel 4max or sr1. No folding knife will ever be a pry bar.

The thing is, no big production company is going to make a knife that's 0.003 bte and has a 1mm spine. That's out of the question (even for companies like Manly). But one with a strong pivot and oversized washers and stop pin is somehow always asking too much. Spyderco has the people focusing on cutting ability covered. For men who work in construction or hard use scenarios, there are very few options. The Tuff model isn't enough.

Regarding spyderco as a company...
Light users..... Covered
Seekers of thin slicers.... Covered.
EDC crowd...... Covered.
Collectors..... Covered.
Light users in salty environments.... Covered.
Users OBSESSED with performance.... Covered.
Hard users.... Iffy.
Hard users in salty environments.... Very iffy.

People that actually understand what hard use means (and would have to experience it first hand to actually know)...... Very few.
Last edited by Pelagic on Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:10 pm
xceptnl wrote:

The Tuff is discontinued and never coming back though. Striders are not prybars nor is the Tuff, nor is the cold steel 4max or sr1. No folding knife with ever be a pry bar.

The thing is, no big production company is going to make a knife that's 0.003 bte and has a 1mm spine. That's out of the question (even for companies like Manly). But one with a strong pivot and oversized washers and stop pin is somehow always asking too much. Spyderco has the people focusing on cutting ability covered. For men who work in construction or hard use scenarios, there are very few options. The Tuff model isn't enough.

Light users..... Covered
EDC crowd...... Covered.
Collectors..... Covered.
Hard users.... Iffy.

People that actually understand what hard use means (and would have to experience it first hand to actually know)...... Very few.
Pelagic, since “hard use” means different things to different people, would you be willing to describe in detail what that term means to you? I’m genuinely curious, and having a better idea of what the term means for you would allow the discussion to proceed on a more informed basis.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would like to ask sal a question on this thread: I know Spyderco decided not to make custom knives but would it be possible to request that when they fabricate the Enuffs, the factory could make a few with longer blades in the four inch range, or, would the logistics of that be too difficult and that would be crossing that custom boundary?
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:39 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:04 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:34 am
Give me a Tusk with a 4 inch blade and a much bigger/beefier marlin spike. The spike can do the prying, and the blade will actually be long enough to cut larger rope.
I like this idea alot. JD Spydo and myself and others have been hoping Sal and crew would make a larger Tusk.
It's always bugged me that there isn't a really ultimate mariner's knife anywhere on the market. Two 4 inch stainless wharncliffe blades (PE and SE), and a 4 inch marlin spike, all locking. Perfection.
Have you checked out David Boyle's knives?

https://www.boyeknives.com/

They seem to be well regarded and have also won some awards I believe. He makes them all with his own proprietary steel, it's carbide heavy and has 100% corrosion resistance similar to H1 or LC200. He's got some cutting demonstrations on his site as well and I'm actually pretty interested in trying it out. The prices are very reasonable as well.

Back to the thread topic, I own a Cold Steel Pocket Bushman which i'd consider is the closest thing to a folding prybar I own. At around 20$, I could think of it as a disposable prybar, just like how disposable silverware is weaker than non-disposable silverware, I think the fact that it is less tough than a normal prybar becomes more acceptable once you treat it as disposable. Although, by the feel of things, I highly doubt I am disposing of this guy anytime soon.

"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Nah.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:19 pm
I would like to ask sal a question on this thread: I know Spyderco decided not to make custom knives but would it be possible to request that when they fabricate the Enuffs, the factory could make a few with longer blades in the four inch range, or, would the logistics of that be too difficult and that would be crossing that custom boundary?
I think spyderco typically respond to market demand. The general rule is a new product would have to be able to at least pay off the costs needed for new machining.
Two ways to go about it would be:
1) make many at a price people would be comfortable paying for. The risk here is whether enough people actually want it enough to buy.
2) make a few but bring the price way up. The risk here is that the select few who want it won't want to buy it at that price.

The other major factor here is what is allowed in certain jurisdictions. Can the knife be sold in enough locations to learn the risk?

I'm not here to say that it isn't feasible. It's ultimately up to them on whether the risk on them is too great or not
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:13 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:10 pm
xceptnl wrote:

The Tuff is discontinued and never coming back though. Striders are not prybars nor is the Tuff, nor is the cold steel 4max or sr1. No folding knife with ever be a pry bar.

Light users..... Covered
EDC crowd...... Covered.
Collectors..... Covered.
Hard users.... Iffy.

Pelagic, since “hard use” means different things to different people, would you be willing to describe in detail what that term means to you? I’m genuinely curious, and having a better idea of what the term means for you would allow the discussion to proceed on a more informed basis.
If you want to find out first hand, come be my deckhand on a Weeks Marine bucket dredge in Ambrose channel just offshore (Northeast) of Sandy Hook, NJ. I'll take it easy on you since you're new :D

You're working on a steel barge, with steel winches, steel spud wells, steel walls, steel doors, steel everything around you. Moving gears and random parts that can sever a limb in half a second, 2-inch cables that could snap and kill you instantly, 4-5 inch rope on everything you must be able to constantly handle and cut quickly in an emergency, 3-4 foot swells a 60 ft 4,000 horsepower tugboat banging against the dredge, as well as a 120ft barge with 2,000 cubic yards of sand on it banging against the dredge. Oh and there's plenty of manual labor to be done, I hope you don't mind extreme fatigue. Bring your motion sickness pills. And if you break your tip off your knife, I'll insinuate you use knives inappropriately over the internet.

Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

youmakemehole wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:45 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:39 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:04 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:34 am
Give me a Tusk with a 4 inch blade and a much bigger/beefier marlin spike. The spike can do the prying, and the blade will actually be long enough to cut larger rope.
I like this idea alot. JD Spydo and myself and others have been hoping Sal and crew would make a larger Tusk.
It's always bugged me that there isn't a really ultimate mariner's knife anywhere on the market. Two 4 inch stainless wharncliffe blades (PE and SE), and a 4 inch marlin spike, all locking. Perfection.
Have you checked out David Boyle's knives?

https://www.boyeknives.com/

They seem to be well regarded and have also won some awards I believe. He makes them all with his own proprietary steel, it's carbide heavy and has 100% corrosion resistance similar to H1 or LC200. He's got some cutting demonstrations on his site as well and I'm actually pretty interested in trying it out. The prices are very reasonable as well.

Back to the thread topic, I own a Cold Steel Pocket Bushman which i'd consider is the closest thing to a folding prybar I own. At around 20$, I could think of it as a disposable prybar, just like how disposable silverware is weaker than non-disposable silverware, I think the fact that it is less tough than a normal prybar becomes more acceptable once you treat it as disposable. Although, by the feel of things, I highly doubt I am disposing of this guy anytime soon.

No, I'm actually ignorant to that brand. It seems to be good but not the kind of knife I was describing. Thank you very much much showing me that.

Oh yeah, and that cold steel knife is certainly a cheap tank.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
ferider

Post by ferider »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:28 am
If you want to find out first hand, come be my deckhand on a Weeks Marine bucket dredge in Ambrose channel just offshore (Northeast) of Sandy Hook, NJ. I'll take it easy on you since you're new :D

You're working on a steel barge, with steel winches, steel spud wells, steel walls, steel doors, steel everything around you. Moving gears and random parts that can sever a limb in half a second, 2-inch cables that could snap and kill you instantly, 4-5 inch rope on everything you must be able to constantly handle and cut quickly in an emergency, 3-4 foot swells a 60 ft 4,000 horsepower tugboat banging against the dredge, as well as a 120ft barge with 2,000 cubic yards of sand on it banging against the dredge. Oh and there's plenty of manual labor to be done, I hope you don't mind extreme fatigue. Bring your motion sickness pills. And if you break your tip off your knife, I'll insinuate you use knives inappropriately over the internet.

My respects to you. But in that setting, why wouldn't you (also) use a fixed blade ? Which the OP asked for, BTW.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I use my knives for slicing and not prying so I'm in the "NO" group.

Sold my BRKT Bravo 1 and replaced it with a BRKT Bravo 1 Lt. Have started abusing a Mora so maybe things will change for me in the future?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

ferider wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:28 am
Pelagic wrote:

My respects to you. But in that setting, why wouldn't you (also) use a fixed blade ? Which the OP asked for, BTW.
You'd think so, but there's times when you lose your balance. Folders have zero chance of stabbing through a sheath and into you. The sheath would have to be in the pocket as well to prevent hangs. A strong folder is certainly the best choice (ideally).
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Pelagic, would the Endura Wharncliffe be a good choice to carry as an emergency cutting tool while working on the dredging barge?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Is it possible to have a thick abuse proof knife that also cuts well?

Pelagic - and the 1456 dockbuilders complain about how hard they have it 😄
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:43 am
Pelagic, would the Endura Wharncliffe be a good choice to carry as an emergency cutting tool while working on the dredging barge?
Absolutely. Either SE or PE could work. Great knife, great value.
GarageBoy wrote: Is it possible to have a thick abuse proof knife that also cuts well?

Pelagic - and the 1456 dockbuilders complain about how hard they have it 😄
Do I complain though?

That's where blade height comes in. The cold steel 4max is a great cutter and it's one of the beefiest folders on the market.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I have considered the Boye's before, but Pelagic was looking for 4" (which is also my favorite compromise blade length) and I think all the Boye's are 3".

On topic - I am in the camp of wanting a knife to cut things but still be plenty sturdy so it does not need to be babied. The OP mentioned 4mm IIRC, which is close to what the Military is. That thickness is not what most people think of as a prybar is it? When you look at a lot of the thick bladed knives out there, they seem to start at .18" (4.5 mm) and go up from there. I have no interest in anything from Spyderco that is not a good cutter, but always want a knife that won't bend or break. I would not describe any useful knife as a prybar though, even a prybar with an edge.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:40 pm
Your brain is literally EVERY WHERE!! I love all these random threads!
I agree, that is one active mind, and i love it ;)

I would love a non sharpened spyderco keychain prybar, and i would use the **** out of it.
😂
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:11 am
ferider wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:28 am
Pelagic wrote:

You'd think so, but there's times when you lose your balance. Folders have zero chance of stabbing through a sheath and into you. The sheath would have to be in the pocket as well to prevent hangs. A strong folder is certainly the best choice (ideally).
I totally agree on the “closed folder can’t stab you” thing. I always felt a folder was safer to carry on a bicycle because it can’t easily impale you in a crash scenario.

It sounds like you want a large folder with some mass to it and a durable tip. Something like a drop point or sheep’s foot style blade. Do you want serrated for cutting hawsers, or just a tough blade you can baton through them? Or a blade heavy enough to hack with?