Who wants a Spyderco "Sharpened Pry Bar"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Who wants a Spyderco "Sharpened Pry Bar"?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Everyone, I was also thinking of something along these lines: Spearpoint or Chisel type tip, thickness in the 4 to 6 mm range, made of Lc200N stainless steel, with FRN or G10 or even hard rubber grip. Satin finished. Blade length in the 4 inch and also 5 or six inch range.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

No
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

As for a folder, the Vallotton at 4MM is VERY NICE.
Its tip strength is prolly unrivaled.
SpyderEdgeForever

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:11 am
No
Michael, there is a place for thin slicers but wouldn't you want a Spyderco quality pry bar knife for emergencies and as a part of a good solid household kit ? I mean come on man: Think about it: A satin finished 4-6 inch spear point blade with Lc200N stainless steel, finely machined and formed, and a comfortable grip of FRN or G10 with a secure sheath/scabbard. That would be an almost indestructible work of Spyderco engineered art.
SpyderEdgeForever

dd61999 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:43 am
After playing with so called “pry bar” knives, I gave up on them. They cut poorly and a pain to sharpen. Although I’m sure spyderco could probably make a more effective one

Now I’m in the opposite direction...I like to see some 1mm slicers! Lol
What steel would a 1 mm slicer have to be made of so as not to bend like a sheet of paper?
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:05 am
youmakemehole wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:56 am
Isn't there a new fixed blade from Spyderco with a 4mm stock and FRN textured scales? Similar to scales you'd find on a Manix or Native LW? I believe it has various color options as well and I thought it was just the most original budget friendly idea to hit fixed blades in a while, not to mention the aesthetic/construction totally oozes Spyderco cool. The model is named 'Tuff Enuff' if i remember correctly or something similar.
Is this an upcoming model?

He's talking about the current Enuff. 2.75” 4 mm blade. 3 versions in VG-10, and 1 Salt in SE H1.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
SpyderEdgeForever

Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:29 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:05 am
youmakemehole wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:56 am
Isn't there a new fixed blade from Spyderco with a 4mm stock and FRN textured scales? Similar to scales you'd find on a Manix or Native LW? I believe it has various color options as well and I thought it was just the most original budget friendly idea to hit fixed blades in a while, not to mention the aesthetic/construction totally oozes Spyderco cool. The model is named 'Tuff Enuff' if i remember correctly or something similar.
Is this an upcoming model?

He's talking about the current Enuff. 2.75” 4 mm blade. 3 versions in VG-10, and 1 Salt in SE H1.
Thank you. I was hoping they would make an Enuff with an extended blade at least in the 3.5 inch range. Any possibility of that?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:04 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:34 am
Give me a Tusk with a 4 inch blade and a much bigger/beefier marlin spike. The spike can do the prying, and the blade will actually be long enough to cut larger rope.
I like this idea alot. JD Spydo and myself and others have been hoping Sal and crew would make a larger Tusk.
It's always bugged me that there isn't a really ultimate mariner's knife anywhere on the market. Two 4 inch stainless wharncliffe blades (PE and SE), and a 4 inch marlin spike, all locking. Perfection.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:26 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:11 am
No
Michael, there is a place for thin slicers but wouldn't you want a Spyderco quality pry bar knife for emergencies and as a part of a good solid household kit ? I mean come on man: Think about it: A satin finished 4-6 inch spear point blade with Lc200N stainless steel, finely machined and formed, and a comfortable grip of FRN or G10 with a secure sheath/scabbard. That would be an almost indestructible work of Spyderco engineered art.
For me it would be a very seldom used expensive “knife/pry bar”. I can get a three piece pry bar set (small, medium, large) from Amazon for $9.97.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:39 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:04 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:34 am
Give me a Tusk with a 4 inch blade and a much bigger/beefier marlin spike. The spike can do the prying, and the blade will actually be long enough to cut larger rope.
I like this idea alot. JD Spydo and myself and others have been hoping Sal and crew would make a larger Tusk.
It's always bugged me that there isn't a really ultimate mariner's knife anywhere on the market. Two 4 inch stainless wharncliffe blades (PE and SE), and a 4 inch marlin spike, all locking. Perfection.

I have been wanting this for years. I am so glad you and I are on the same page with this desire, Pelagic. Thank you for mentioning this.

The closest I have seen are what Myerchin Marine Classics offer and I have been longing for Spyderco to produce (literally to the "t") the exact design you mentioned. One positive hope for us is this: Sal himself has said that he and Eric are into sailing and water sports activities (please correct me if I'm wrong, sal), and there are people like Surf Gringo and others who would be very much into it. On top of that, many people in the Rescue field and Coast Guard and also civilian water sports world and fishing world know of the intense quality Spyderco makes, and would be behind it. I hope and pray that this will translate into market viability and we will see such a folder, friend. Thank you!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Lionspy is a sharpened pry bar which is why I never carry it. I have zero use for a folder that is built sturdier than the Shaman. It is the perfect hard use folder for me.

The Bradley Bowie is as sturdy as I need a fixed blade to be. I actually have thicker knives including one that is 1/4 inch thick and saber ground which never gets used. The upcoming Province will be plenty sturdy enough for me.

Spyderco already makes knives which are as sturdy as I need/want and if they make something more overbuilt than them I won't be a buyer.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I’ll pass. Thanks.
Spyderco has some overbuilt models, especially in their fixed blade lineup. Shaman is plenty thick, too.
Soyderco prides themselves in making great cutting tools.
Plenty of other makers that’ll make you a knife-shaped prybar, however. I don’t buy from those companies.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:27 am
dd61999 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:43 am
After playing with so called “pry bar” knives, I gave up on them. They cut poorly and a pain to sharpen. Although I’m sure spyderco could probably make a more effective one

Now I’m in the opposite direction...I like to see some 1mm slicers! Lol
What steel would a 1 mm slicer have to be made of so as not to bend like a sheet of paper?
Try a thin filet knife butchering a deer and tell me it’s not amazing !
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

No thanks.

If I need to pry something I have a Griffin Pocket tool on my keyring.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'd take a tempered spring steel actual pry bar
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I kinda wish the phrase "sharpened prybar" didn't exist. It must stem from people perceiving an amount of toughness on a knife as unnecessary and childishly making fun of it because they've never been in a setting where toughness matters. There's probably people out there that use a box cutter for everything and think every person who owns a pocketknife has settled for an inferior slicer and must feel the need to pry with the blade. Lol.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm lucky, OR I'm crazy. I cannot figure out which, maybe both. I have a lot of knives and I love all of them. I have knives with blades going down to 1 inch and I have blades that are 24 inches long. I like knives and some of them might be "pry bars."

We can ALL agree Spyderco is the number one co in the world for knife blade steels. I just wish that they would eat everyone's lunch and make more of the conventional looking knives in the 3 to 7 inch range. They would NOT be competing head to head in that range with their steels, they would be the goto co for the finest knives in the 3 to 7 inch blade steels. This is what I mean by conventional blades.... the steels that I suggest are just that, suggestions, but it's the knife model that can be attacked b/c the manufacturers use garbage steels.

- Chris Reeve Green Beret Combat Knife Fixed 5.5" S35VN Black Plain Blade, Micarta Handles, in M390 by Spyderco.
- Cold Steel 3V SRK in M390 by Spyderco.
- CRKT Provoke in D2, in CPM 20CV by Spyderco.
- CRKT 2020 AG Russell Sting Boot Knife 3.197" Double Edge Blade, in CPM 20CV by Spyderco.
- CRKT Folts Minimalist Drop Point Neck Knife Black G-10, in CPM 20CV by Spyderco.
- CRKT, 2709, Clever Girl, Fixed 4.6" SK5 Black Blade, G10 Handles, in M390 by Spyderco.
- CRKT, M16-03S, Carson Classic Flipper 3.46" Spear Point Blade, in CPM 20CV by Spyderco.
- KA BAR USMC Fighting/Utility knife. Leather stacked handles, in S35VN by Spyderco.
- SOG Tech Bowie Fixed 6.4" Black Plain Blade, in M390 by Spyderco.
- SOG Super Bowie 7.5" Black TiNi Blade, Leather Handles, Leather Sheath, in S35VN by Spyderco.
- SOG SEAL Pup Elite Fixed 4.85" Satin Plain Blade, GRN Handle, Nylon Sheath, in M390 by Spyderco.
- State & Union Knives Custom Fighting/Utility Knife, in S35VN by Spyderco.

There must easily be 100+ examples that I could post here.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:34 pm
I'd take a tempered spring steel actual pry bar
Look in to Busse. I don't own any but apparently they are made out of the same steel that is used in tree grinding blades.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SpyderEdgeForever

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:47 pm
I kinda wish the phrase "sharpened prybar" didn't exist. It must stem from people perceiving an amount of toughness on a knife as unnecessary and childishly making fun of it because they've never been in a setting where toughness matters. There's probably people out there that use a box cutter for everything and think every person who owns a pocketknife has settled for an inferior slicer and must feel the need to pry with the blade. Lol.
Well I appreciate you posting this. Here is why I used the term. Yes, it was originally used in a disparaging, joking sense. And I too, used to use it in that sense and in that context. But, I discovered a new found respect for it when the famous Ken Warner, knife periodical and book author, seller, and designer, used the term in a positive light. Amazingly, he did that back in the 1970s and 1980s, and so the term was known at least back then.

His definition of a sharpened pry bar was not a low-quality knife but a good quality knife that was most likely at least 3.5 mm thick and greater, and which had edges and points designed for toughness and strength, such as flat grind, full flat grind, saber grind, etc, as opposed to thin and hollow grind blades.

My "holy grail" for a quality sharpened pry bar I have mentioned would be thick LC200N Stainless steel.
SpyderEdgeForever

Naperville wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:48 pm
I'm lucky, OR I'm crazy. I cannot figure out which, maybe both. I have a lot of knives and I love all of them. I have knives with blades going down to 1 inch and I have blades that are 24 inches long. I like knives and some of them might be "pry bars."

We can ALL agree Spyderco is the number one co in the world for knife blade steels. I just wish that they would eat everyone's lunch and make more of the conventional looking knives in the 3 to 7 inch range. They would NOT be competing head to head in that range with their steels, they would be the goto co for the finest knives in the 3 to 7 inch blade steels. This is what I mean by conventional blades.... the steels that I suggest are just that, suggestions, but it's the knife model that can be attacked b/c the manufacturers use garbage steels.

- Chris Reeve Green Beret Combat Knife Fixed 5.5" S35VN Black Plain Blade, Micarta Handles, in M390 by Spyderco.
- Cold Steel 3V SRK in M390 by Spyderco.
- CRKT Provoke in D2, in CPM 20CV by Spyderco.
- CRKT 2020 AG Russell Sting Boot Knife 3.197" Double Edge Blade, in CPM 20CV by Spyderco.
- CRKT Folts Minimalist Drop Point Neck Knife Black G-10, in CPM 20CV by Spyderco.
- CRKT, 2709, Clever Girl, Fixed 4.6" SK5 Black Blade, G10 Handles, in M390 by Spyderco.
- CRKT, M16-03S, Carson Classic Flipper 3.46" Spear Point Blade, in CPM 20CV by Spyderco.
- KA BAR USMC Fighting/Utility knife. Leather stacked handles, in S35VN by Spyderco.
- SOG Tech Bowie Fixed 6.4" Black Plain Blade, in M390 by Spyderco.
- SOG Super Bowie 7.5" Black TiNi Blade, Leather Handles, Leather Sheath, in S35VN by Spyderco.
- SOG SEAL Pup Elite Fixed 4.85" Satin Plain Blade, GRN Handle, Nylon Sheath, in M390 by Spyderco.
- State & Union Knives Custom Fighting/Utility Knife, in S35VN by Spyderco.

There must easily be 100+ examples that I could post here.
I have wished for the same thing as you stated above, and other examples, as you also stated, for them to make.

You see, my friend, what you and I need is for the replicator to be made, and advanced, and then companies like Spyderco would be able to simply write up codes and designs for these and other knives, and we pay for the blue prints, and reproduce the knife at home or elsewhere. Then they would no longer be limited to the market costs and capital costs of having to invest in a run of tens of thousands of knives. But that is for another discussion.