Favorite steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Marulaghost

Favorite steel!

Post by Marulaghost »

Sprints, production, it doesn't matter
What steel brings you joy?

I have the general idea this thread will have a few common answers but I'm also way too lazy to start a poll (and i don't want to exclude any less common answers)
I think some common ones will be LC200N, REX45, HAP40, and maybe a few cruwears.

As much as i've said it I'll go out there with the V toku2.
I'm astounded at the edge retention (mind you it is my only high-end blade), how quickly i can strop it back to cutting hair, and how freaking good it looks with a patina!
Add that SUS cladding and this thing looks like it has war paint. I love it. The steel builds character

So which steel makes you squeal?
MacLaren

Re: Favorite steel!

Post by MacLaren »

CTS-204P, 10V & K390.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Right now I am really enjoying and carrying 52100. It is so so easy to get a fantastic edge on this steel, which makes it a joy to carry and use.

I have many favorites. Cruwear for the same reasons, although I am not carrying it much lately for no reason in particular.

I could also say K390, but most of my experience is with the PM A11 Mule, which is a close relative. There just seems to be no way to dull this edge.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Well heat treated 1095 brings me a lot of joy. Easy to sharpen and does what I need it too. Peter's Heat Treat does a great job.

Last year and through now I've been really impressed by cru wear, cpm154, and hap40. Especially cpm154 and hap40. They sharpen beautifully. Still wanting to try 4v
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Maxamet. After that 204p/m390/20cv.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A few years ago, I was saying M4. I do have it in 2 Manix2s, 2 PM2s, the Bradley Folder, and the Bradley Air. I surely love it.

But I began to wonder why I was buying knives in other steels (16 or so), and liking each one alot (except for plain-edge H1, unless beveled at something like 7 DPS).

What struck me is I no longer seek a favorite.

Instead, I seek the more simple joy of having the steel I happen to have pocketed answer the tasks at hand. This quest has encouraged me to recognize (I’m still a babe in these woods) how different steels (and their geometries) compare in similar tasks.

The zen of this comparison now overshadows my ranking of steels.

Spyderco, of course, has made this experience possible by offering a bazillion great steels. Any of the 16 or so that I have could be my only (and thus favorite) one.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Nice thoughts there, WRD... :)
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

S110V, Vanax SC, Rex 45, Cruwear. Each one is good for very specific things. I love them all, can't really pick one. If I REALLY had to pick, it would probably be S110V for having a good balance of corrosion resistance, wear resistance, decent toughness etc.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

H-1. Price has a lot to do with that.

My favorite(s) are ZDP-189, Super Blue, S110V, Hap40, LC200N, M4, Maxamet, 4V, M390, Rex45, and K390
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
basedlarrydavid

Post by basedlarrydavid »

Historically: S90V. It isn’t as hard to sharpen as it is reputed to be. The carbide content makes for a beautifully aggressive edge and holds it forever.

Recently: Rex 45, M4. For a long time, I was apprehensive to use anything prone to corrosion. This was a mistake.

Future: I’ve got some K390 on the way, which looks to be a combination of the best of both categories above. Looking forward to trying 10V and 15V (*cough* hey sal *cough* make PM2s in each of these *cough cough*)
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Folders:
LC200n (stainless)
Cruwear (toolsteel)

Fixed:
CTS-BD1N (stainless)
Cruwear (toolsteel)

Kitchen:
CTS-XHP (stainless)
HAP40 (non-stainless)
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Cruwear, Hap40 in my Spydies. Small fixed blades in 80CRV2 are my weakness.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I try not to let myself get too nit-picky over steels because the reality (for me anyways..) is that all of my Spydercos have perfectly sufficient steels for most of my typical edc needs. That said, I've been really impressed by M390 and 20CV for their balance of edge retention and toughness with corrosion resistance.. M4 for its overall edge retention and toughness.. and H1 (serrated) and LC200N for straight up corrosion resistance.

I don't have any experience with it yet, but I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on some Cruwear and Maxamet at some point..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Cpm Cruwear.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

M4 is still my go to baseline, but K390 and now REX45 have really impressed me in edge retention as well as ease of sharpening. Really looking forward to more of these two steels. The way the K390 Police4 holds a very keen edge is unlike anything else I've ever had the pleasure of using.
attila

Post by attila »

Of Spyderco's offerings my favorites are:

CPM Cru-wear is unexpectedly stain resistant for a tool steel while being tough, fairly wear resistant, and easy enough to sharpen.

S110V is exceptionally stain resistant, and the Manix LW served as my beach/fishing knife during vacation to the ocean before I had any H-1. Even having H-1 in a couple of Salt knives, I don't mind bringing the Manix into salt water, since I've found no corrosion on S110V yet.

CTS-B70P sharpens super easily and holds its edge very well in the kitchen. I'd like to take it on outdoor adventures at some point too. I wish Spyderco and other companies used it on regular production knives.

Superblue, ZDP-189, K390, and HAP40 have all been enjoyable too.

Rex 45 and CTS-XHP seem really good too, but I have far less experience with using and sharpening them so far.

I look forward to trying CTS-BD1N, LC200N, and Vanax SC.

Outside of Spyderco, I've really enjoyed Z-wear, a German analogue of CPM Cru-wear. CPM 4V has been a good performer as well.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Of what I've tried, probably cruwear or 4v.

I think I'd really enjoy k390, Rex45, Vanax, and Vanadis 4e.

Purposely didn't include extreme edge retention steels, they will be a favorite in ways but never an all around favorite for me. I love having one knife with high edge retention as well as one knife with a tougher blade. The tougher blade gets used more and usually the one I favor.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

From 1095 up through Maxamet I love them all as long as the heat treatment is good.

I still find Cruwear to be the most well rounded steel with the best balance of properties.

Also fond of VG10, XHP, M4, K390 and Maxamet. I probably use 1095 and other similar carbon steels more than any other steel but that is mostly in kitchen and outdoor knives plus a couple of slip joints.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

For me it's more about which steel is in the designs I like to carry, as opposed to which designs carry the steel I like. So, if pressed, I'd say VG-10, because it's on the R, and Delicas. Interested to try super gold in the Massdrop Delica (which might just get here soon, only a year late but whatever), as I generally prefer stainless and don't think I can tell much difference in wear resistance (based on my uses).
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

This is a hard question to answer. There are so many options, each with its own unique attributes and quirks.

Some of my favorites would be H-1, CTS Micro-Melt Maxamet, Aogami Super Blue, and CPM REX 45. In most cases I value edge strength over corrosion or wear resistance.

I like H-1 because it is super tough, rust proof, and a delight to sharpen. A perfect beater steel.
Maxamet because it is incredibly hard, cuts forever, is a bit more forgiving IME than CPM S110V. It's also surprisingly easy to sharpen. (although since getting a good guided sharpening system with diamond stones, all steels feel more or less the same.) Also, Maxamet is just a pretty cool name. ;)

Super Blue because it can take an extremely fine edge and is very easy to get to extreme levels of sharpness. It also holds its edge pretty well. Good edge stability.

CPM REX 45 because it is similar to Maxamet, but with more edge stability.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"