The Chaparral is a large knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: The Chaparral is a large knife

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:16 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:33 pm
Nice,

The only time I have ever lost Knives we’re ones without clips.

In the 1990’s I lost a Victorinix Swiss Army Champ type knife you know everything but the kitchen sink wide knife in a Velcro pouch no less.

And then a Case Warnclif and that really ticked me off.

After that it either has a clip or I will not buy it.

Maybe you have a hole in your pocket????

I've lost a dragonfly and a delica after the clip got tweeked (not so clippy tight) and I was too lazy to fix it. Things in the bottom of my pocket tend to stay there until I fall asleep on the couch at night.

CG
Hole in pocket no.

I used to be a professional Automotive technician worked in a Mercedes Dealership. I Would also go to auctions with my friend and buy used cars and trucks, he liked doing body work and I liked the mechanical side.

We would get some messed up cars fix them and sell them.

The large Victorinox think 20 plus tools type Swiss Army knife was in a Swiss Army Brand Velcro pouch I was getting in and out of cars at an Auto auction inspecting them before purchasing them.

Darn fine pouch stayed attached to my belt too bad the Velcro let go and it fell out. Someone got a nice knife that day.

I searched all over for it. I was very upset.

My friend Augie felt so bad for me he went out and bought the same exact knife for me this time with a good quality Leather pouch with a snap.

My friends name was Augie I knew him since I was 17 years old he Died on the 27th of February 2 days ago age 91. I still have the Knife he bought me. It means allot to me.

Will provide pics later.

The Case slipped out of my shorts pocket at a theatre.

Generally I never carry small knives something like a dragonfly is not for me. I consider the native borderline might sell on eBay due to its diminutive size. Larger knives do not tend to unclip as they will rub angle against your leg and resist accidental pocket ejection.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:27 am
cycleguy wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:16 pm
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:33 pm
Nice,

The only time I have ever lost Knives we’re ones without clips.

In the 1990’s I lost a Victorinix Swiss Army Champ type knife you know everything but the kitchen sink wide knife in a Velcro pouch no less.

And then a Case Warnclif and that really ticked me off.

After that it either has a clip or I will not buy it.

Maybe you have a hole in your pocket????

I've lost a dragonfly and a delica after the clip got tweeked (not so clippy tight) and I was too lazy to fix it. Things in the bottom of my pocket tend to stay there until I fall asleep on the couch at night.

CG
Hole in pocket no.

I used to be a professional Automotive technician worked in a Mercedes Dealership. I Would also go to auctions with my friend and buy used cars and trucks, he liked doing body work and I liked the mechanical side.

We would get some messed up cars fix them and sell them.

The large Victorinox think 20 plus tools type Swiss Army knife was in a Swiss Army Brand Velcro pouch I was getting in and out of cars at an Auto auction inspecting them before purchasing them.

Darn fine pouch stayed attached to my belt too bad the Velcro let go and it fell out. Someone got a nice knife that day.

I searched all over for it. I was very upset.

My friend Augie felt so bad for me he went out and bought the same exact knife for me this time with a good quality Leather pouch with a snap.

My friends name was Augie I knew him since I was 17 years old he Died on the 27th of February 2 days ago age 91. I still have the Knife he bought me. It means allot to me.

Will provide pics later.

The Case slipped out of my shorts pocket at a theatre.

Generally I never carry small knives something like a dragonfly is not for me. I consider the native borderline might sell on eBay due to its diminutive size. Larger knives do not tend to unclip as they will rub angle against your leg and resist accidental pocket ejection.
Thats a heartwarming story, thanks for sharing.
/ The two knives I lost though they were clipped to my pocket WERE large actually... An Endura and a Stretch...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:44 pm
That Chap sure does look big next to that GEC. The Chaparral is one of my two favorite knives. It is about right for daily carry and use.

Let me guess ;)

My "not too big, not too small" go to spydie :

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Short objects and pocket clips don't mix. They like to flip outward and eject themselves. My single cell surefire was really good at falling onto the floor
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:01 am
Doc Dan wrote:
That Chap sure does look big next to that GEC. The Chaparral is one of my two favorite knives. It is about right for daily carry and use.

Let me guess ;)

Strangely, I find the few mm shorter Urban handle considerably less comfortable than the Chaparral handle.

Dragonfly is fine, Squeak is fine, UKPK/Caly is great. It’s what has stopped me ordering a Lil Native or Rhino without being able to try one first.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:01 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Let me guess ;)

:D :D Hahaha! How did you know? Your psychic mutant powers are certainly showing.
Yes, I really love the Chaparral and the Urban LW knives. I am looking forward to a possible LC200N Urban LW.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
archangel

Post by archangel »

Too bad I don't own a Chappy anymore, I'd love to supersize it by photographing it next to my wife's :spyder: Bug. ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Large or small, the Chaparrral is a GREAT knife in any case... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Michael and the rest of you all have convinced me to want a Chaparral FRN. Now here is my question: Is the 2 mm thick blade strong and tough enough that if use it to cut down cardboard and also for whittling and cutting meats and cheeses for sandwiches, it will not break, and I have the confidence that it will not break or chip?
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

Blade is strong enough for whittling and cardboard, but the knife itself is thin and smallish in hand, a thicker and larger knife handle would better accommodate cutting a lot of cardboard.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The blade strength is fine. Slices like gangbusters (think The Untouchables). If you intend to spend an hour cutting cardboard either wear gloves or use something with a bigger and comfortable handle.

For normal edc uses it is fine.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:18 pm
Michael and the rest of you all have convinced me to want a Chaparral FRN. Now here is my question: Is the 2 mm thick blade strong and tough enough that if use it to cut down cardboard and also for whittling and cutting meats and cheeses for sandwiches, it will not break, and I have the confidence that it will not break or chip?
SEF, that's exactly what I use my Chap FRN for (not so much cardboard, but whittling and some food prep), it is plenty strong for that!
I guess it could even be a bit thinner and still would hold up.
Or longer, a Chap XL (half an inch longer) would be one of my dream knives (actually I started a poll and a thread concerning that some time ago)

I am sure you'll enjoy the Chap.
SpyderEdgeForever

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:37 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
SEF, that's exactly what I use my Chap FRN for (not so much cardboard, but whittling and some food prep), it is plenty strong for that!
Or longer, a Chap XL (half an inch longer) would be one of my dream knives (actually I started a poll and a thread concerning that some time ago)

Thank you so much Wartstein. I want you to know that I am sincerely glad you are on this forum and I enjoy reading your posts and even look especially for them because like some others on here you have great experience and insights and interesting ways of looking at these and other things.

Now here is the choice: Between getting the Chaparral FRN or the Endura Wharncliffe. You can imagine what a difficult decision that would be, I am sure. Both have great design features and materials, both are great and infact excellent tools. Which one is more general purpose from how you see it? Yes, its true the Endura has a thicker blade grind but as you and others have pointed out, the Chaparral is plenty strong for my EDC and general purpose uses. Both have great FRN handles. Now, since I already own a regular Endura 4, perhaps it would be a good idea to go with the Chap since it's a different design? What would you pick?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It would seem logical to get the Chaparral since you already have an Endura.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:46 am
It would seem logical to get the Chaparral since you already have an Endura.
Thank you.

That is a very good idea.

Would you want the Chaparral to be offered in a serrated edge or are you content with the plain edge?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:19 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:37 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Thank you so much Wartstein. I want you to know that I am sincerely glad you are on this forum and I enjoy reading your posts and even look especially for them because like some others on here you have great experience and insights and interesting ways of looking at these and other things.

Now here is the choice: Between getting the Chaparral FRN or the Endura Wharncliffe. You can imagine what a difficult decision that would be, I am sure. Both have great design features and materials, both are great and infact excellent tools. Which one is more general purpose from how you see it? Yes, its true the Endura has a thicker blade grind but as you and others have pointed out, the Chaparral is plenty strong for my EDC and general purpose uses. Both have great FRN handles. Now, since I already own a regular Endura 4, perhaps it would be a good idea to go with the Chap since it's a different design? What would you pick?
That's almost too much of an honor, thank you so much for your kind words!
In fact compared to many / most on this forum, I have quite little experience when it comes to folders(and even less concerning steels and sharpening), only thing is I really do use the few Spydies I have.
Anyway, I am glad that you like my posts (despite my probably sometimes funny English... ;) )

/ Since you already own an Endura, I'd definitely go with the Chap in FRN! The "regular" Endura has very little belly and a lot of straight edge already, so I do not think the Wharnie will feel TOO different.

The Chap on the other hand is a whole new (and for me surprisingly positive) experience: How well a thin blade works while still feeling strong. How solid and "heavy" (in a good sense) it feels in hand. How well the backlock is executed (better than on the Endura imho), no bladeplay at all. How it disappears in the pocket, especially unclipped... and so on.

BUT, that said: The edge is way shorter than on the Endura obviously, so there are clearly limitations, especially when it comes to foodprep.
And some find the backlock uncomfortable in use as in "digging into the finger". Not an issue for me, but then I am a climber and play the guitar, so my fingers are probably rather strong and have some callus... ;)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SEF, I prefer straight edges and think the Chaparral is best that way.

Here is a great tip I got from Sharp Guy. Take off one scale, and the blade. Clean up if necessary. Apply a wee bit of lubricant where needed, then slide the lock bar spring forward in its channel about an eighth of an inch. I moved mine up to the little shoulder on the underside of the lock bar. Reassemble. Moving the spring forward will decrease its pressure on the lock bar making it much easier to press.

Team Innovation
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
SEF, I am courious: Have you decided yet? Or even already ordered a Chap?
At least you probably have not RECEIVED one yet, otherwise I´d sure read a related (and hopefully enthusiastic...) post of yours... ;)
SpyderEdgeForever

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
SEF, I am courious: Have you decided yet? Or even already ordered a Chap?
At least you probably have not RECEIVED one yet, otherwise I´d sure read a related (and hopefully enthusiastic...) post of yours... ;)
The answer is this: I held out for the Spyderco Stretch with laminated VToku2/SUS stainless steel. Is that a good decision? I do appreciate the answers of you and others.