I'm not a drinking man, but...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

I'm not a drinking man, but...

Post by Zatx »

I sure would like a Drunken. Is there any update to when we'll get a chance to purchase this beauty?

Thank you!
Pelagic

Re: I'm not a drinking man, but...

Post by Pelagic »

It will all be "revealed" soon

Pelagic
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Reminds me of a more expensive ZT. Looks very thick!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Zatx wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:32 pm
I sure would like a Drunken. Is there any update to when we'll get a chance to purchase this beauty?

Thank you!
Hopefully this , The Paysan, and the Province will drop in the next 6 weeks! I'm ready.... :D

James
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Beautiful knife, when I see the price, I think of other metallic items.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Great looking knife, just can’t justify the price. Wonder why it is so high?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Is this not a spydiechef.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:44 pm
That's why they call it the drunken. Most people would need to be quite drunken to pay that price. :D
Joey

Post by Joey »

A camp saver (or similar) coupon might make this more do-able for some people. Something to think about!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

remnar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:14 pm
That's why they call it the drunken. Most people would need to be quite drunken to pay that price. :D
It doesn't show up in the photos, but the carbon fiber and the titanium scale have a wavy patern to them, a bit like the fluted cf native. That and a few other details probably up the price tag. This piece isn't really my style, but I bet it looks good in person.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Really digging the design. If this is already uber cool, I wonder what the 'Sober' would look like.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:29 pm

Looking at these images side-by-side, it sure looks like Dimitry Sinkevich very liberally used the Spydiechef as his design "inspiration." It looks like he's taken a knife I love and made it more refined. But, I sure hope Spyderco looked closely at that pocket clip angle and made an adjustment to bring it more in line with the Spydiechef, or the Drunken is going to interfere more with your hand going into your pocket.

I realize people are going to complain about the price, but retail it will be around $350-$400 which puts it in the Sebenza category. This looks like its quality is comparable with that knife and its price point, so it seems reasonable to me from this standpoint. It's about $200 more than the Spydiechef, and the materials and workmanship sure look like they are worth that to me.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I like it, but it resembles a ZT too much IMO and the price.....

I'll pass
Doeswhateveraspidercan

npad69 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:23 am
Really digging the design. If this is already uber cool, I wonder what the 'Sober' would look like.
As I recall from my I’ll spent youth not nearly as good the next day. ;)
remnar

Post by remnar »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:45 am
remnar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:14 pm
It doesn't show up in the photos, but the carbon fiber and the titanium scale have a wavy patern to them, a bit like the fluted cf native. That and a few other details probably up the price tag. This piece isn't really my style, but I bet it looks good in person.
No doubt that there are production details that add to the cost of this knife. I have handled the prototype and it struck me as a slightly refined ZT 0770. I love the fact that Spyderco is continually putting out new models and using steels and materials that many companies won't use. I can't imagine that there will be any kind of demand for this knife from the general knife carrying population. It seems to be aimed at the hardcore collector with deep pockets and I'd guess that it won't be in production long. It will be a great knife to pick up once it hits the discontinued list. :) :spyder:
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Zatx wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:52 am
Daveho wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:29 pm

Looking at these images side-by-side, it sure looks like Dimitry Sinkevich very liberally used the Spydiechef as his design "inspiration." It looks like he's taken a knife I love and made it more refined. But, I sure hope Spyderco looked closely at that pocket clip angle and made an adjustment to bring it more in line with the Spydiechef, or the Drunken is going to interfere more with your hand going into your pocket.

I realize people are going to complain about the price, but retail it will be around $350-$400 which puts it in the Sebenza category. This looks like its quality is comparable with that knife and its price point, so it seems reasonable to me from this standpoint. It's about $200 more than the Spydiechef, and the materials and workmanship sure look like they are worth that to me.
Agree it reminds me of the Spydiechef allot.

Where I have trouble with the price is I have owned several Sebenzas and to be honest they are no better than a Paramilitary 2 and the PM2 outperforms them hands down.

This being the case in my experience (which I allow is subjective) it is very difficult to justify this price point. It is not a matter of being able to afford it, I do well enough I would not even notice the purchase but justifying that price for a Knife is a bit much for me having done so in the past and being happier with a PM2.

If we want to go purely into the realm of Collecting and Safe Queens then Price is never an object.

As for me the only knives I have that go unused are doing so because I have just not gotten around to doing so yet as I am currently exploring other Spyderco's like the Carribean Salt in my pocket this week. I purchased this one around Christmas time in both SE and PE and I prefer it in PE. I have been thinking of gifting the SE Carribean.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Someone will be lucky. I think the SE Carribean is awesome.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

“As for me the only knives I have that go unused are doing so because I have just not gotten around to doing so yet as I am currently exploring other Spyderco's like the Carribean Salt in my pocket this week. I purchased this one around Christmas time in both SE and PE and I prefer it in PE. I have been thinking of gifting the SE Carribean.”

I just got my first Caribbean this week! I haven’t started carrying yet because I need to personalize it. I bought it strictly for the blade steel so I’m going to heavily modify the overly large scales. They are great for its intended purpose, don’t get me wrong, but I’ll never use it in an ocean or water setting. I plan on machining down the scales closer to the size of the liners and sanding down the large polished G10 ridges.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The large scales of the Caribbean are one of the biggest things drawing me to the model. Most spydies have small handles and it's nice to see something that allows a full, comfortable grip in the palm of the hand.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Zatx wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:32 pm

Thank you!
Looks like the Drunken went live today on the Spyderco website(sold out already) ....and a few online retailers!
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det ... en/1209

Excited about this one....

James