Para 2/3 vs yojimbo 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bigbootybuster

Para 2/3 vs yojimbo 2

Post by bigbootybuster »

Im picking out a new spyderco (I've been carrying the tenacious) but i cant decide between the para 2, para 3 and the yojimbo 2. Any suggestions?
TazKristi

Re: Para 2/3 vs yojimbo 2

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, bigbootybuster:
Welcome to our forum. I'm sure our members will be able to offer you some advice (and probably have a few questions for you too). I'm sorry for the delay in approving your post, I've been out with the flu and today is the first day I could see straight. Let's bump this up to the top.

We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Para2
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I just got my para 3...its about perfect! Good size, nice weight, awesome action, and a cool lock! I'd vote para 3! Or manix 2...i do love my manixes... Manixi? Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I vote for Yojimbo 2, it isn't quite as versatile as the others but ergonomically it works better for me and I've learned to live with a wharncliffe so I rarely run into situations where it's a problem (and in fact run into more situations where it's an advantage).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Depends on the applications/preferences.
What would you use it for?

The yojimbo2 was designed for self defense.
However, a lot of people really like it for the straight edge for things such as opening boxes (although the are other models with a wharncliffe blade that might be better for that considering the Yo2 is hollow grind and a delica wharny is full flat grind)

The PM2/Para3 are great all purpose knives that are tough yet slicey. If where you live has knife laws that ban a larger knife than go with the P3 (or if you just want a smaller knife in general)

I don't really think you can have a wrong answer here, but if i could give a big suggestion, I'd go with waiting for the Para 3 LW. It should be the cheapest option available and a great way to start.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I have all 3. The handle shape of the Yo is the most ergonomic to me. It is exceptionally in box cutting duties, or other opening duties. However my Para 3 or PM2 get more carry time. They do better around food than the Yo2 does. I'd recommend the Para 3 first myself.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Where do you live? Do you have legal restrictions on what you can carry?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bigbootybuster wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:23 pm
Im picking out a new spyderco (I've been carrying the tenacious) but i cant decide between the para 2, para 3 and the yojimbo 2. Any suggestions?
Hi BBB, welcome to the forum. Going to need some more info from you in terms of what you are looking for in your next knife.

The PM2 and Para3 are nearly identical aside from size. If I had to describe the p3 I'd say it was a pm2 with a little bit trimmed off the front and back.

The Yo2 is a great knife (Im about to buy my third variant in the near future), it's different than the Pm2 and para3. It's got a heavier blade, it's hollow ground, it's a wharncliffe, it's got a very fine point. And the handle is very different than the paras.

If I had to list them as comfortable in pocket, I'd say Para3, PM2, Yo2. Yo2 is last because it is a very wide knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Marulaghost wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:05 pm

I don't really think you can have a wrong answer here, but if i could give a big suggestion, I'd go with waiting for the Para 3 LW. It should be the cheapest option available and a great way to start.

I pre-ordered the para 3 lightweight, then decided to order a regular para 3...its an exceptional knife. Can't wait to see how good the lightweight is going to be!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my favorite spyderco (and number one recommendation) is the manix. if you really want a compression lock though, get a yojimbo. that thick blade never fails to fall shut, it looks super mean and awesome, it’s a great utility blade, and it’s not the same thing everyone else carries like the pm2 or para 3. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
agony

Post by agony »

Is it wrong that I like all three equally?
The newest to me is the Yo2. I only have two variants so far, but my Para 3 hasn't seen my pocket in a while, with the PM2 making an appearance occasionally. Then again, I'm sure the Yojimbos will get booted once the LW Para 3 comes out.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:25 pm
They do better around food than the Yo2 does.

I would never say the Yo 2 is good at food prep, but if you hold it in a pinch grip it can be a decent chopper since the edge is lower than the rest of the handle and will make full contact with a cutting board.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SamClemens14

Post by SamClemens14 »

I’ll admit, I’m relatively new to the contagious pestilence that is the spyderco addiction. However, over the last year or so, I’ve aquired, and experienced 5, wait 6, (bought a dragonfly for my wife) different spydercos.

I’m a geologist by trade, so I use knives pretty much daily for EDC task, cutting cardboard, plastic, scratching, on rocks, etc., so I like a good jack-of-all-trades blade.

The crux for me though, is that I also take/teach martial arts. More specifically Kali/Arnis/Escrima, or more broadly known as, FMA (Filippino Martial Arts).

I started out like most who get sucked down the spydie rabbit hole, with a tenacious. Next I jumped to the Byrd Raven 2, for the better steel(CTS-BD1) then the polestar, the next logical step, and then where I thought I landed for good, was the Manix 2 lightweight in BD1.

With all that, long story really long, I think I finally arrive at my point. I recently purchased a Para 3 while visiting my local sporting good/knife store. Although I usually like a longer blade (more for self defense purposes in mind), the ergonomics/feel of this knife were perfect for my medium sized hands.

I actually returned a mini griptilian that I had bought for a left side carry to make up most of the cost for the para 3. The Para 3 just felt leagues ahead in ergos, and overall quality.

Ok, finally to the point, I hope, although I thought the manix 2 was my be all-end all for EDC/self defense, I find myself carrying the Para 3 more, mainly because of, for me, the ergos, and not to mention I think the compression lock is the cat’s pajamas...that’s right above the axis lock, and with the right training a decent enough amount of blade for self defense.

With all of that said, I really wish my local shop carried a Yojimbo, so I could get my hands on one. I have great respect for Mr. Janich, and love that he’s a part of Spyderco.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:12 pm
my favorite spyderco (and number one recommendation) is the manix.
Yep. Me too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd start with the Para 2, it's the most versatile of the three IMO.
:unicorn
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

get the para 3. i am so tired and stuck on the fact that everyone seems to feel they have to have a large blade for tacticool or self defense or you cant open that box with under a 3.5 big blade. para 3s 3" blade is legal is most states as where anything bigger is no longer legal at least in my state and as far as i can tell in 35yrs bigger knives than a para 3 lead to fear of high end larger blades. dont be that guy that HAS TO HAVE A BIG KNIFE BECAUSE NO ONE CAN POSSIBLE USE A SMALLER ACCEPTABLE BLADE SIZE.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Read any knife publication where they list the top EDCs. Para 2 is always on the list so that's where I'd start.
Ric

Post by Ric »

PM2 is similar to yout Tenacious.
Para 3 is smaller.
Yo is bigger.

I prefer the Para 3. bit the Tenacious is too big for me.
You cannot go wrong with any.

For PM2 you have many options (color, steel).
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Ha! I thought you might disagree with my assessment. I'd agree that the relative position of the handle to the blade is an advantage on the Yo2. On the Para 3, and especially the PM2, I appreciate the ability to roll the blade when chopping veggies.
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:58 pm
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:25 pm
They do better around food than the Yo2 does.

I would never say the Yo 2 is good at food prep, but if you hold it in a pinch grip it can be a decent chopper since the edge is lower than the rest of the handle and will make full contact with a cutting board.