Para 2/3 vs yojimbo 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
youmakemehole

Re: Para 2/3 vs yojimbo 2

Post by youmakemehole »

If I ever end up buying a Yojimbo you can bet that a big reason why would be because of that awesome concave cutout on the spine that can be used as a thumb rest. I never hear much talk about this feature, which is surprising given most Spyderco fans tend to appreciate great ergonomics. Ideally I'd have one of these cutouts on every knife I have, and I think for flat to concave bellied blades such as wharncliffes or hawkbills it should be mandatory to have at least one, if not two or more of these things. There are a few companies that are able to subtlety integrate these in their EDC designs without taking away too much in terms as aesthetics, i.e MassdropxFerrumForge; It'd be so awesome if Spyderco comes out with more designs like the Yojimbo that also have thumb cutouts, I think anyone who really enjoys the 50/50 choil or choked up grip would be even bigger fans of the thumb cutouts.

I have one particular knife with 3 of these on its spine, it coincidentally has a "spidey"-ish thumb hole as well... regardless the control these cutouts provide is next level, nothing can come close to the control you're afforded when your thumb is nestled in a concave that is directly on top of, and also the shortest distance to the material you are cutting. You can also place your index finger or your other thumb as well while whittling and/or in other grips, but for just your main thumb alone, the 3 cutouts on the knife translate into 3 very different grips. Multiply that by 3 different fingers, and say, maybe 50/50 choil choked grip + non-choked-up grip and you could potentially have a knife that becomes extremely versatile due the the number of different ways you could hold it. I'd imagine anything more than 2 of these cutouts on the spine will start to take over and limit aesthetics; personally I would take function over form any day if I could only pick one.

Pic related
Attachments
IMG_1045.jpg
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
spyderwolf

Re: Para 2/3 vs yojimbo 2

Post by spyderwolf »

Wait a little and get the PM3 lightweight first.Of course,you will end up buying all of them,so try next the PM2,then the Y2,then a G10 PM3.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.