A question for Sal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

A question for Sal

Post by lonerider1013 »

Question for Sal:
I recently learned that Benchmade had been directing the vast majority of its donations to politicians very much against the 2nd Amendment. I do not want to get political but i was just hoping that Spyderco has not been doing the same thing. I prefer the companies I support to be politically neutral and not in favor of things I object to.

If this is inappropriate post I apologize but I would like to know this isn't true of Spyderco as I carry one daily, own many, and look forward to owning more, as well as constantly recommending the brand.
No disrespect meant to Sal or anyone at the company, and the intent of this post was not to start political namecalling, I am just genuinely curious... and concerned.

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
TazKristi

Re: A question for Sal

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, lonerider1013:
Thank you, for your post. Although we do have a rule against discussing politics, I'm going to give you the best answer that I think we can and what we've posted elsewhere.

We've always been a transparent company and we're confident that a quick review of our social channels or our forum will answer anyone's questions.

Sal has a saying, Shiny Footprints. It's a code that we live by. It's kind of old school but in many ways, so are we. We believe our actions speak louder than words and we always do our measured best to continue to be worthy of the reputation that we've worked for more than 42 years to earn.

We truly appreciate your continued interest and support. Make it a good day!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I think there’s a bit of misinformation going around on this subject-
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thank you.

Like i said, I didn't mean to start politicking, I was just curious and a bit concerned.

I love my Spydercos and just wouldn't want that tarnished. Well, patina is ok. Tarnish... not so much...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lonerider,

We handle ourselves in a manner that I believe you would appreciate and respect.

sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I doubt spyderco is doing what Benchmade is doing. A knife company being anti-gun simply isn't good for business. It's essentially only surpassed in this regard by a gun company being anti-gun.

The 2nd amendment shouldn't even be a political issue. There's one side that knows how to interpret plain English and understands the meaning behind the amendment as well as the intentions and foresight of the founding fathers. Then there's the other side, that has trouble with such concepts for several reasons.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:10 am
Hi Lonerider,

We handle ourselves in a manner that I believe you would appreciate and respect.

sal
Thanks. No offense meant, either, it's just these days... people are doing some odd things. If I didn't have respect for Spyderco I wouldn't carry one and recommend them to everyone!
The 2nd amendment shouldn't even be a political issue.
I know that's what makes it sad.
Lonerider
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I know one thing. I work with 100% 2nd amendment supporters. I'm the "knife guy" of the group. And they will never buy Benchmade now. Some of them have Spyderco's because of me.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Benchmade has a history of shady operation in my honest opinion look how the use Spyderco’s Patented Spydie hole... The way I show my disapproval is never buying their products.

I trust Sal and by extension Spyderco to always exhibit the best conduct.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:05 pm
Benchmade has a history of shady operation in my honest opinion look how the use Spyderco’s Patented Spydie hole... The way I show my disapproval is never buying their products.
I could be mistaken (and i could be putting my foot into my mouth here) but i would have assumed that benchmade would have come to spyderco asking for permission.

Lobbying aside i don't think they'd stoop so low as to commit an act of blatant plagiarism. There are factories in China for that.

I don't see why the butterfly could put itself into the obvious path headed to a lawsuit with the spider

There are reasons i won't buy a benchmade. I can think of a few (biggest betting i like the spider better than the butterfly)
I'm just not so sure about the validity of that statement is all
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Marulaghost wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:38 am
I could be mistaken (and i could be putting my foot into my mouth here) but i would have assumed that benchmade would have come to spyderco asking for permission.

Lobbying aside i don't think they'd stoop so low as to commit an act of blatant plagiarism. There are factories in China for that.

I don't see why the butterfly could put itself into the obvious path headed to a lawsuit with the spider

There are reasons i won't buy a benchmade. I can think of a few (biggest betting i like the spider better than the butterfly)
They have some sort of agreement-
It’s been said numerous times on the forum and Sal has confirmed they defend their copyrights. No there isn’t anything underhanded going on there.

any evidence of these “shady operations”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I love a good BM!

Generally around 4am.

*Ba Dum Tss*
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Marulaghost wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:38 am

This here: Scroll down I agree with Deacon.

http://paulberetta.com/index.htm

If you are wondering my reason for requesting that you BOYCOTT BENCHMADE it is because Benchmade saw fit to disregard Spyderco's trademark on the round opening hole with several models they introduced. I believe that those who attempt to justify their continued support for an ethically bankrupt company use arguments that are unsupported by the facts to assuage their consciences and defend their morally reprehensible position.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Spyderco makes better products(QC, ergonomics, variety, etc.), so it's a non-issue for me. I haven't bought or owned a Benchmade since 2011.

Look for the Benchmade video put out by cutlerylover on YouTube. Part 1 was reaction and opinion(didn't watch tbh) and Part 2 has some really important information. Both sides need to watch it for a FULL understanding of the matter.

Now can we get back to obsessing over Spydercos?
sal

Post by sal »

Probably a good time to let this thread die.

Thank you for your cooperation and kind understanding.

sal
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Fair enough Sal. I always admired that when we communicate with spyderco we get a response, not a form letter. I should never even have thought spyderco would... well, but... as the old saying goes... we live in interesting times.

Now for something really controversial...
Lanyards?

Lonerider
ThomS

Post by ThomS »

"by sal » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:15 am
Probably a good time to let this thread die.":

Class act / response. Won me over - again.