What is the most general use Spyderco blade steel in your opinion?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demoncase

Re: What is the most general use Spyderco blade steel in your opinion?

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:22 pm
demoncase, based on your uses and preferences, what type of blade shape and knife in VG10 would you really like to see Spyderco produce in the future, if they were to make it?
I already own them: The Delica and the Native.....Oh, and my beloved Harpy of course ;)
Last edited by demoncase on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
ferider

Post by ferider »

Interesting, after all the tool steel love, DLC, and forced patina threads in this forum, that only 3 people so far have picked a non-stainless steel. Not sure why "General use" implies stainless (unless you work on or in the sea, of course). Even in my kitchen, CPM 10v does just fine, regularly.

Roland.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

ferider wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:46 pm
Interesting, after all the tool steel love, DLC, and forced patina threads in this forum, that only 3 people so far have picked a non-stainless steel. Not sure why "General use" implies stainless (unless you work on or in the sea, of course). Even in my kitchen, CPM 10v does just fine, regularly.

Roland.
I’m one of the non stainless guys I guess, cause I choose Cruwear. It’s pretty close to stainless though. I think the “general use” implies stainless because general has to include things like use near saltwater, potential exposure to at least mild corrosives, use without ability to clean right away, I could go on but you see what I’m getting at. The question was our opinion on the most general use steel, not our favourite general use steel for OUR OWN use.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

ferider wrote:

Roland.
I love low chromium tool steels (particularly WITH DLC for edc), but I answered the question with the average user in mind instead of myself. XHP is a surprisingly well performing finely grained stainless, and most people seem to like stainless so they don't have to constantly care for it. I'll bet some others answered this way as well.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ferider

Post by ferider »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:56 pm
The question was our opinion on the most general use steel, not our favourite general use steel for OUR OWN use.
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:41 pm
I answered the question with the average user in mind instead of myself
Got it. I selfishly answered in the spirit of most general OWN use and picked CPM CW as well :)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

ferider wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:09 pm
spyderg wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:56 pm
The question was our opinion on the most general use steel, not our favourite general use steel for OUR OWN use.
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:41 pm
I answered the question with the average user in mind instead of myself
Got it. I selfishly answered in the spirit of most general OWN use and picked CPM CW as well :)
Yup, Cruwear for the win!
The thing is, general is just too open for interpretation, some might consider cost as a factor while others not. Are we going to try and figure out percentages of knife users near saltwater or in arid places then do a bunch of math to figure out average humidity and exposure to different corrosives? Then type of use requiring hardness, wear resistance etc. I’m not. This is why there are so many steel choices. For me,CPM Cruwear has the perfect balance so I’m sticking with it even if the saltwater guys might shy away from it.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Yeah, cruwear will not cut it on the coast or at sea. Still an excellent all around steel.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

ferider wrote:

Roland.
It would take me maybe 3 or 4 hours of summer carry to coat a tool steel blade in rust. I love K390 during the winter, but I don't see my Police 4 getting much love during the hottest part of the year.

VG10, in my experience, is one of the most corrosion resistant steels Spyderco offers outside of the Salt line. The rest of its attributes are pretty well balanced IMO.
:unicorn