How to buy a knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

How to buy a knife

Post by MichaelScott »

No, this is not a primer for everyone looking to buy a knife merely my story which just an insight about how one person went through the process of choosing one particular knife.

For reasons not relevant here I eventually sold all of my knives, Spydercos and others. Now being able to buy a few more I wanted another Spyderco to accompany my small slip joint that habitually rides in my pocket. I went through the “need” scenario until I realized that I was really operating on “want” rather than “need”. I want a Vrango, a Hunderd Pacer, a Para Military 2, a Para 3 LW, a Lil’ Native comp lock,... the list can get quite long.

Finally I did focus on what my needs actually are, a smaller, lightweight knife with a refined design that will serve in an everyday capacity for me. That pretty much eliminated all but the Chaparral. I dithered for days over the Raffir Noble, fascinated by that material but in the end, the FRN was the better choice. I had a Nishijin Lil’ Lum and though beautiful I found it not practical due to its smooth surface.

So, the Chaparral FRN is ordered from SFO. I had one before and know that it was the right choice.

I think it a process of not being in a hurrry, taking the time to actually analyze which knife would suit my needs best, not which one I thought was cool.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SG89

Re: How to buy a knife

Post by SG89 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:58 am
I think it a process of not being in a hurrry, taking the time to actually analyze which knife would suit my needs best, not which one I thought was cool.
This is something I have struggled with at times. Sometimes it's just too easy to buy. Also it's just as easy to sell them when I don't want them anymore.

I ask myself a lot "why did I buy that". Being honest with yourself about your needs is the best choice but not always the most fun choice.

The most perfect knife for me is the Lil Native comp lock DLC, as evidenced by it is always in my pocket. I suspect the upcoming Para 3 Lightweight will also be perfect for me.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

We try not to knock other knife companies.

sal
Last edited by sal on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shiny footprints.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

How to buy a knife? You gets out your wallet and You puts down your $$$$... easy peasy!

I tend to get excited and like them all when I first meet them... but, if I wait... and come back to them two weeks later my reactions are noticeably different. Taking your time and understanding your use(s)/need(s) - most always works in your favor. I've also learned not to rely on my eyes as this usually leads me away from the better decision.

Really applies to so many things,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:11 am
MichaelScott wrote:
This is something I have struggled with at times. Sometimes it's just too easy to buy. Also it's just as easy to sell them when I don't want them anymore.

I ask myself a lot "why did I buy that". Being honest with yourself about your needs is the best choice but not always the most fun choice.

The most perfect knife for me is the Lil Native comp lock DLC, as evidenced by it is always in my pocket. I suspect the upcoming Para 3 Lightweight will also be perfect for me.
Honestly, the Lil’ Native Compression satin blade was second on my list. I wasn’t sure I would like it but after months of indecision I bought one and it became one of my favorites and regular carry. I still miss it. But, I think overall the Chaparral LW is a slightly better fit for me. Hard decision though.

I think the Para 3 LW might be a bit too big for me. Or not. Have to wait for reports from our crew here. Plenty of time though and we are planning to move this summer so after that dust settles I will have more information on it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:

My thoughts exactly, I'm with you both on that.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 am
How to buy a knife? You gets out your wallet and You puts down your $$$$... easy peasy!

I tend to get excited and like them all when I first meet them... but, if I wait... and come back to them two weeks later my reactions are noticeably different. Taking your time and understanding your use(s)/need(s) - most always works in your favor. I've also learned not to rely on my eyes as this usually leads me away from the better decision.

CG
Here is a question for you about this, cycleguy: When it comes to practical cutting chores, would you rather have a small to medium Spyderco fixed blade, perhaps like the Ark, which uses FRN handle and H1 stainless steel, or some other version of a medium sized Spyderco fixed blade, perhaps with a blade in the 3.5 to 4 inch length, or, would a folder be more useful for you?

This has always been a thought in my mind: What is more useful, safer in the sense of being more reliable and less prone to encounter problems with accessibility, and better for cutting uses when out and about: A folder or a fixed blade in those size ranges.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

“I think it a process of not being in a hurrry, taking the time to actually analyze which knife would suit my needs best, not which one I thought was cool.”
For the most part I agree with this sentiment. I have to say though I have bought “tactical” knives just because they were cool. Just tracked down a Massad Ayoob that in all honesty I’ll probably never carry but it sure is cool. Now if I can just find a serrated one. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Even your One Eyed Jack? I thought that would be the keeper.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

cycleguy wrote:
Indeed! This is the method I have always used and it works well.

I have bought quite a few knives and I have to say I have almost none that I regret. I enjoy them all for different reasons and I like the variety.
Now if it was necessary to buy just one knife, it would be somewhat different. The truth though is that there would be a long list of great knives
that would do just fine. I don't buy into this business of finding the one true ultimate knife. There are lots of great knives.

A person is well served by not buying a cheap dog, or a unique knife that just isn't for them for whatever reason. That might be a topic for a
discussion -- what is the weirdest knife you own?

I don't see a thing wrong with buying a knife because it is cool. If you like it and it talks to you and it fits your budget, why not?
I could see myself buying the up and coming "Respect" for just that reason. I certainly can't say it would be the most practical knife
I might own, and I doubt if I would pick it if it was to be my only knife. But I can see one in my future. There is something about those big fixed
blades and the impractical nature of them (for my lifestyle anyway) is part of the appeal.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Nothing wrong with cool knives. I’m working to stop buying knives just because I want one. Needless to say if I was able to be a collector I’d be up to my knees in Spydercos. Since I am essentially starting over I begin with trying to stick with what would be useful for me, spend an inordinate time looking, reading, researching suitable knives and all that before I make a commitment. That also serves a a cooling off period for my little “just buy it now” demon.
Of course I will make mistakes if I am not tactility familiar with a knife. Then I sell it and keep on. I like the idea of having a few user knives to swap around and it gives me permission to have more than one.
But, that’s me and your preferences and budgets will be different. More power to you.

Team Innovation
Forest Elk

Post by Forest Elk »

MichaelScott wrote:
Honestly, the Lil’ Native Compression satin blade was second on my list. I wasn’t sure I would like it but after months of indecision I bought one and it became one of my favorites and regular carry. I still miss it. But, I think overall the Chaparral LW is a slightly better fit for me. Hard decision though.
Michael, get another Lil Native again! You won't regret! :)
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Spydergirl, I agree to you! Since last September the Lil Native Comp Lock Satin Plain Blade is in my pocket every day. :cool:
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:37 pm
cycleguy wrote:

CG
Here is a question for you about this, cycleguy: When it comes to practical cutting chores, would you rather have a small to medium Spyderco fixed blade, perhaps like the Ark, which uses FRN handle and H1 stainless steel, or some other version of a medium sized Spyderco fixed blade, perhaps with a blade in the 3.5 to 4 inch length, or, would a folder be more useful for you?

This has always been a thought in my mind: What is more useful, safer in the sense of being more reliable and less prone to encounter problems with accessibility, and better for cutting uses when out and about: A folder or a fixed blade in those size ranges.
Hi SpyderEdgeForever,

Answer is probably not so black or white as you are making it out to be. "Practical cutting chores" is not going to be the same for everyone, so there will be lots of answers. Personal preferences will stir the mix as well. Generally - I think a fixed blade knife is easier to clean and maintain, and I think the simpler the design the fewer the moving parts the less chance something has to go wrong. However, a folder can carry more conveniently than a fixed blade.

This may be boring, but going thru the needs and wants analysis and with personal preferences mixed in, here are my criteria:
1) needs to be carried daily - my "practical cutting chores" tend to arise and pop up and are not routine so I need to carry daily.
2) prefer it to be as invisible as possible - I would prefer that I never needed a knife and didn't have to bother with one, however this isn't my reality. So I prefer (you can decide if this is a need or a want whenever I use prefer but I'll consider it a want) one that is like not having one at all. I prefer to be discreet with knife carry as some people are offended by it in public and I have no interest in appearing like a Rambo type guy. I also prefer comfort, like I wasn't burdened with carrying, so I prefer a knife that is weightless and has no mass. The knife will be carried for substantially more time than it will be used (carried all day and sometimes not used and sometimes used for a few minutes or less) so the carry side of the equation is substantially important.
3) needs to handle the cutting tasks incurred - the bulk of my "practical cutting chores" would be occasional cutting of packing tape, cardboard, plastic clam shells, zip ties, cord/string, food items into smaller pieces. So mostly light duty, mostly dry, and mostly non-corrosive use. Blade needs to be able to handle a few light duty cuts as I can sharpen and would have access to sharpening tool at the end of each day... so not much demand here. I also prefer that the blade doesn't corrode or stain as I like the new look. VG -10 works well, but so would some other lesser steels.
4) prefer it to feel good in the hand - need a grip but prefer it feels comfortable in hand at rest and when loaded with force while cutting.
5) need it to be of decent build quality - need it to be reliable functionally; that it is going to hold up and not fall apart when I take it out and use it.

So what does all this become? My edc/pocket knife is a Delica 4 FRN VG10 plain edge (a BM Bugout plain edge, or a traditional stockman folder will work as well; and a slightly smaller knife like the Chaparral would work too just not as comfortable in the hand. I did carry a smaller folder for many years but have come to prefer a slightly longer blade and handle).

Now lets talk - practical cutting chores kitchen, practical cutting chores dinner table, practical cutting chores backpacking, practical cutting chores camper/camping, practical cutting chores trout and panfish fishing, practical cutting chores salmon fishing, practical cutting chores small game hunting, practical cutting chores big game hunting.... well let's not. I am way out of time.

HTH,

CG

P.S. I think the Spyderco Enuff in drop point or clip point would to be a highly useful knife for many things. I keep away from H1 as none of my uses need such a corrosion resistant blade and I much prefer more edge holding ability.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The chaparral is a keeper for sure. I adore my “stealth” version and carry it in all “dressy” scenarios.

It’s an interesting point you bring up, though. I bet 90% of the forum would say that they are caught in the paradox of having both objectively far too many knives, and yet not all the knives they’d want.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

MichaelScott wrote:
... I went through the “need” scenario until I realized that I was really operating on “want” rather than “need”. I want a Vrango, a Hunderd Pacer, a Para Military 2, a Para 3 LW, a Lil’ Native comp lock,... the list can get quite long.

Finally I did focus on what my needs actually are, a smaller, lightweight knife with a refined design that will serve in an everyday capacity for me. ...

... I think it a process of not being in a hurrry, taking the time to actually analyze which knife would suit my needs best, not which one I thought was cool.
I've gone through numerous knives, chasing that just right folder. Since buying a Sage 2 last fall just after that model was discontinued, my other knives rarely see any pocket time. I'm now wanting something similar, but less expensive, to carry everyday and take the wear and tear instead of the Sage 2. I've decided that's going to be the Para 3 LW, at least until the Sage 5 LW comes out.

Today I was checking Blade HQ's website to see if they'd gotten the Para 3 LW yet, and there at the top of the new arrivals list was another BHQ exclusive CRKT Voxnaes Pilar, this time in D2 with tan or OD green G10 show side scale. I have one regular all steel Pilar, and a blue G10 show side scale Pilar from a previous BHQ exclusive run. I really like these little knives. I was just about ready to buy one of these new ones when I thought to myself: "No, that $40 is nearly halfway to the Para 3 LW that will be out any day now. How many do I have sitting in a storage wrap now that the Sage 2 is almost all I ever carry?" So I didn't buy the new G10 & D2 Pilar, even though it's a cool variation and I really want one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just do like me and buy everything that catches your attention until you narrow it down to a couple that really do it for ya, then you'll have 40 or so in a box that you never use. Oh well, my son will appreciate my indecisiveness one day.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I've been slowing down a lot when it comes to buying knives. I have what I like and I like what I have. I'm a lot more specific now that I've handled so many knives. Sure if some amazing sprint comes out I'll bite but I've become patient. I almost wait for the sprints now. I have knives for every occasion. The beach, formal events, work, play, etc etc. There's an old saying about making a quality item. Something to the tune of putting yourself out of business because your quality is so good. I hope spyderco never does that but their knives just seem to last. I have a spyderhawk that has seen a lot of use but I still bought the orange sprint run as a back up. I like some of the new designs but I rather get a different steel. I also prefer larger knives and knowing that some larger models will happen eventually (native chief) I pass on middle ground versions (shaman). I have a native 5 that I EDC daily. Still debating on the police 4 in K390. Should I wait for frn or buy the g10 and have it now.
Slash

Post by Slash »

I've been carrying a folding Karambit cause it seems like it would do some damage to would be assailant. It's not small or lightweight. But, neither is a 10mm 1911.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:21 am
I've been slowing down a lot when it comes to buying knives. I have what I like and I like what I have. I'm a lot more specific now that I've handled so many knives. Sure if some amazing sprint comes out I'll bite but I've become patient. I almost wait for the sprints now. I have knives for every occasion. The beach, formal events, work, play, etc etc. There's an old saying about making a quality item. Something to the tune of putting yourself out of business because your quality is so good. I hope spyderco never does that but their knives just seem to last. I have a spyderhawk that has seen a lot of use but I still bought the orange sprint run as a back up. I like some of the new designs but I rather get a different steel. I also prefer larger knives and knowing that some larger models will happen eventually (native chief) I pass on middle ground versions (shaman). I have a native 5 that I EDC daily. Still debating on the police 4 in K390. Should I wait for frn or buy the g10 and have it now.
This seems to be the way it works for me as well with most of my gear. Starting out, so much of it seems good and can capture your attention; then after you have handled and used a bunch over the years it becomes much more clear as to what it is you really like and keep. After that, I keep looking but the temptation really has dropped off and I can easily pass over most of it. Think the sales guys are surprised when you're not interested or get excited about something most drool for, but they have no idea how versed you are. My worst gear obsession was fly rods and I owned over 70 of them (not all at one time); those are mostly gone and only a select few remain. Knives not so bad, maybe around 45 between folders and fixed blades excluding kitchen cutlery. With any of it, none of the real eye catching stuff stayed around ... the simple, well crafted, ergonomic, strong performers did.

CG
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I used to get so excited about new models coming out and buy them. But, after a while, good sense kicked in and I started thinking to myself, "does this knife suit a real need, or is it just a want?" That is my rule, now, and it controls my knife buying decisions.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050