St Nick's Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

St Nick's Delica

Post by jdw »

I have been out of the loop and slow on the uptake so I just found this knife. I am not a huge fan of the Delica but the f&f on this knife is absolutely fantastic. I think that it may be the nicest thing that I have seen come out of Seki City in quite a while. I can't believe there are some of these still around. I was wondering who has had one for a while and how it stands up to use? Thanks all.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ABX2011

Re: St Nick's Delica

Post by ABX2011 »

It's my favorite Delica ever. They're almost sold out and I'm tempted to get a spare. I've carried and used mine for a couple weeks and I sharpened it. I don't think it's functionally much different from other Delicas (apart from steel upgrade) but I love the red g-10 and the black TiNi.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I had one and it was the smoothest, most well-built Delica I ever held. It felt as though the washers had been polished and the tolerances tightened. Out of the box, the blade could be flicked open and dropped shut, no adjustment needed. The 6 other Delicaa I've owned were all stiff and sometimes a little "gritty" when new. The St. Nick's Delica felt smooth as glass. I wouldn't worry about how they hold up, they seem to be built better than the standard models, which hold up for a very long time.

The knife was just a bit too thin for my liking.
I now have the Knife Center Pakkawood Hap40 Delica and have found my favorite variant. The wood scales are thicker and "warmer". It feels like a more traditional pocket knife to me.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I am not a big fan of the Delica(back locks in general). My wife has 4. I bought her the St Nick's to match my para 3 and when it came in the mail I almost didn't want to give it to her. I've been debating the past few weeks whether to buy my own.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I had to look this up. My first though was did Nick Shabazz somehow achieve knife community sainthood??? I mean his videos are okay and all but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

eRoc wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 am
I am not a big fan of the Delica(back locks in general). My wife has 4. I bought her the St Nick's to match my para 3 and when it came in the mail I almost didn't want to give it to her. I've been debating the past few weeks whether to buy my own.
Just do it. If you decide you don't want it, you'll be able to get your money back on the secondary market. You don't want to be kicking yourself later for missing out... or having your wife kick you later for borrowing hers. :D
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Albatross wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:37 am
eRoc wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 am
Just do it. If you decide you don't want it, you'll be able to get your money back on the secondary market. You don't want to be kicking yourself later for missing out... or having your wife kick you later for borrowing hers. :D
If it's still around in a couple weeks maybe. I just have too many knives in my wishlist. I'm holding out for the BHQ Jade Native 5 to release soon. Even though I don't like back locks I bought the CS Native 5 and it's grown on me.

St Nick's G10 linerless Native 5 in that red/black combo...now that might push it's way to the top of my list.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm a BIG Delica 4 fan but I am finally getting to the point where I can pass on most everything Delica that isn't FRN and some that are.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

This knife finds more time in my pocket each week. I'm not the biggest Delica fan, but the G10 scales make it feel upgraded somehow. Not only is the red/black combo stunning, it is a classy user to boot. If you are thinking about getting one, go ahead, you won't be disappointed.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

You guys are seriously making me consider getting this knife. I need 1-2 good pay days, I hope they stay available
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I just bought a combo they had that came with a lock back little native for 215. It's much nicer than any of the handful of frn delicas I've handled.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
PStone

Post by PStone »

This was my first delica. It in my pocket today actually :spyder: I bought it for $189 the day they dropped. I’ve used it pretty regularly since. My use ranges from light to moderate. I find that it is still just as nice as when it was new. Maybe a tad looser action, so I tightened the pivot a tiny bit. No play has developed, steel has rolled and deformed, but never chipped. Also very easy to get back shaving sharp. The coating on the blade and liners is still good, but the clip and hardware show their age. All in all, I think this knife holds up just as well as any of my natives. I would pay full price for this knife again. Also, pics always help.

Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm not really a Delica fan but I had to pick up the set which has made me more of a fan.
Attachments
Para 3 Delica_.jpg
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ptd

Post by ptd »

The OCD part of me hopes that they put out an Endura version, but seeing how slow the Delica sold I am guessing they won't...

-pd