When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:52 pm

sal or anyone, are there any estimates or ideas for when we will see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight folder with VG10 blade, FRN grip, and wire clip?

How do you think the world of knife users and collectors will react and respond to this wonderful thing?

User avatar
holeshot
Member
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:40 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Postby holeshot » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:54 pm

Heck yeah! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"

User avatar
Liquid Cobra
Member
Posts: 6394
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:38 pm
Location: British Columbia, CANADA

Re: When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Postby Liquid Cobra » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:07 pm

I’d guess with the new reveal program you won’t see it anytime before the next 6 months.
Most recently acquired: Paramilitary 2 Tanto, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra

RazorSharp86
Member
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:45 am

Re: When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Postby RazorSharp86 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:02 am

Yes please!
BD1N or LC200N please! With sprint runs down the road with Rex, Cru, etc.

User avatar
dreadpirate
Member
Posts: 775
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Postby dreadpirate » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 am

So the Caly 3 and 3.5 are thin enough that G10 I think works well, but FRN does have its advantages and would probably be popular.

User avatar
thewoodpecker
Member
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Re: When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Postby thewoodpecker » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Yes please and thank you! I'd love a linerless G10 option but something like a UKPK/Caly 3.5 hybrid would be fantastic especially if we could see some sprints/exclusives.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue User

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Postby Wartstein » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 pm

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 pm
Yes please and thank you! I'd love a linerless G10 option but something like a UKPK/Caly 3.5 hybrid would be fantastic especially if we could see some sprints/exclusives.
Since we discussed that in another thread: Could you measure the length of the actual grip area on the handle behind the choil (if you find the time)?
If it is long enough to offer a good four finger grip, I´d really like to see a Caly 3.5 LW: Short closed length compared to the amount of edge you get, backlock, FRN (on a possible LW), thin (3mm) leaf shape blade (and by that rather fine but still strong tip)... would tick a lot of boxes for me.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
thewoodpecker
Member
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Re: When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Postby thewoodpecker » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:50 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 pm
thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 pm
Yes please and thank you! I'd love a linerless G10 option but something like a UKPK/Caly 3.5 hybrid would be fantastic especially if we could see some sprints/exclusives.
Since we discussed that in another thread: Could you measure the length of the actual grip area on the handle behind the choil (if you find the time)?
If it is long enough to offer a good four finger grip, I´d really like to see a Caly 3.5 LW: Short closed length compared to the amount of edge you get, backlock, FRN (on a possible LW), thin (3mm) leaf shape blade (and by that rather fine but still strong tip)... would tick a lot of boxes for me.
Luckily I have my 3.5 and ruler close at hand. The grip area from point-to-point (i.e.behind the choil) is almost exactly 3.25".
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue User

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Postby Wartstein » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:58 pm

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:50 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 pm
thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 pm
Yes please and thank you! I'd love a linerless G10 option but something like a UKPK/Caly 3.5 hybrid would be fantastic especially if we could see some sprints/exclusives.
Since we discussed that in another thread: Could you measure the length of the actual grip area on the handle behind the choil (if you find the time)?
If it is long enough to offer a good four finger grip, I´d really like to see a Caly 3.5 LW: Short closed length compared to the amount of edge you get, backlock, FRN (on a possible LW), thin (3mm) leaf shape blade (and by that rather fine but still strong tip)... would tick a lot of boxes for me.
Luckily I have my 3.5 and ruler close at hand. The grip area from point-to-point (i.e.behind the choil) is almost exactly 3.25".

Thanks, that´s very kind of you!

Could be a tad too short for me... my Stretch 1 offers 3.7 " behind the choil, almost the exact same length as the Delica offers (whole grip area on the handle). When I grab Stretch 1 or Delica, there is just a very little amount of handle not covered by my hand at the rear end, so I´d have to try the Caly 3.5
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
thewoodpecker
Member
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Re: When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Postby thewoodpecker » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:07 pm

The Stretch has the same blade length with longer grip area (sans choil) so if you're in need of a longer handle the Stretch might be the way to go. For me the ergos on the Caly 3.5 are perfect and it is tough to beat in terms of blade:handle ratio...even beats out the Kapara.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue User

Tdog
Member
Posts: 1851
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: The woods of Florida

Re: When will we see the Caly 3.5 Lightweight?

Postby Tdog » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:04 pm

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:07 pm
The Stretch has the same blade length with longer grip area (sans choil) so if you're in need of a longer handle the Stretch might be the way to go. For me the ergos on the Caly 3.5 are perfect and it is tough to beat in terms of blade:handle ratio...even beats out the Kapara.
Ditto.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ankerson, cwoods, Doc Dan, Enactive, Google [Bot], ladybug93, root, skeeg11, tap78 and 34 guests