Keep coming back to my Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Grjfer

Keep coming back to my Spydercos

Post by Grjfer »

New member here, but not new to Spyderco. I bought my first one somewhere around 1990 1991. It was an Endura Spyderedge. Shortly thereafter I bought plainedge Delica. I carried the Endura a lot back then, but eventually lost it. So the Delica became my everyday carry. I missed the ruggedness of the spyderedge on my Endura so I replaced it. Lo and behold a few months later I found my original. Fast forward 20 years and I picked up a dragonfly, because I was looking for something a little smaller / more discreet. Never have warmed up to the wire clip of the dragonfly so it doesn't get carried much. Both my Endura and the Delica have the original Spyderclip, and I'm afraid of losing them. So a couple of days ago I picked up I new Delica 4. For me it really seems to be the perfect knife. I am considering a para 3 or the new Smock as I love the blade profile of the Smock.

I have considered sending 1 of my Enduras and my Delica to Spyderco and let them redo the clip, but I almost hate to molest the originality of them. It just saddens me that I don't carry them for fear of losing them. Has anyone ever since there's off just Spyderco to have the clip redone, and if so are you happy with it and would you do it again?
Last edited by Grjfer on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz

Re: Keep coming back to my Spydercos

Post by Jazz »

Welcome, and don’t wreck those original beauties. Stick around, yo.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Grjfer wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:05 pm
Has anyone ever since there's off just Spyderco to have the clip redone, and if so are you happy with it and would you do it again?
Note quite sure what you mean by "have the clip redone", do mean repainted? Anyway might just be easier to just call their excellent customer service department and ask for new clips. They've sent replacement clips to me in the past. Can't recall if there was a charge, if so it shouldn't be that much. Good luck.
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

Mako109 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:49 pm
Grjfer wrote:
Has anyone ever since there's off just Spyderco to have the clip redone, and if so are you happy with it and would you do it again?
Note quite sure what you mean by "have the clip redone", do mean repainted? Anyway might just be easier to just call their excellent customer service department and ask for new clips. They've sent replacement clips to me in the past. Can't recall if there was a charge, if so it shouldn't be that much. Good luck.
Having issues posting pictures" file to large". What I'm referring to is the clip is actually built into the FRN handle. Spyderco does offer clip replacement service where they will grind off the clip and install a metal one.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Grjfer,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Grjfer wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 pm
Mako109 wrote:
Grjfer wrote:
Having issues posting pictures" file to large". What I'm referring to is the clip is actually built into the FRN handle. Spyderco does offer clip replacement service where they will grind off the clip and install a metal one.
I understood what you meant. It can't be done. It is best to buy a curent knife. If you must have the handle shape of the old one, get a Salt 1 or a Pacific Salt, in Spyderedge. Black or yellow are your color choices and the knife cannot rust, no matter what you throw at it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Reference_Sensor

Post by Reference_Sensor »

I know exactly what you mean, OP. I bought my first Spyderco back in 1991, a Delica Clipit with the old style molded plastic clip, and carried it every day. After a while, I needed something a bit larger for the cutting tasks I was doing, so I bought an Endura Clipit, and carried that one at work for a good long while, until I snagged the clip coming out of a hatchway and sheared it right off. I sanded down the remainder and carried it in my pocket as-is, but then moved on to a stainless Endura II that I carried for ten years afterward with nary a complaint. I still have my first two Spydercos, but they never get carried anymore, and I retired my Endura II after my first deployment to Iraq in 2005. Bought a Foliage Green Endura while I was working at Camp Shelby, MS, and then a black Endura combo-edge with the black blade right before Afghanistan in 2010. I'm working as a civilian in Afghanistan now, and just ordered an Amalgam for this go-round. Seems like every time I deploy, I buy a Spyderco!
"let a man never stir a step on the road without his weapons of war, for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without." Havamal, verse 38
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

Reference_Sensor wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:41 am
I know exactly what you mean, OP. I bought my first Spyderco back in 1991, a Delica Clipit with the old style molded plastic clip, and carried it every day. After a while, I needed something a bit larger for the cutting tasks I was doing, so I bought an Endura Clipit, and carried that one at work for a good long while, until I snagged the clip coming out of a hatchway and sheared it right off. I sanded down the remainder and carried it in my pocket as-is, but then moved on to a stainless Endura II that I carried for ten years afterward with nary a complaint. I still have my first two Spydercos, but they never get carried anymore, and I retired my Endura II after my first deployment to Iraq in 2005. Bought a Foliage Green Endura while I was working at Camp Shelby, MS, and then a black Endura combo-edge with the black blade right before Afghanistan in 2010. I'm working as a civilian in Afghanistan now, and just ordered an Amalgam for this go-round. Seems like every time I deploy, I buy a Spyderco!
As a 10year Navy veteran I thank you for your service. I always found the Endura to be a very useful folder.
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:14 am
Grjfer wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 pm
Mako109 wrote:
Grjfer wrote:
I understood what you meant. It can't be done. It is best to buy a curent knife. If you must have the handle shape of the old one, get a Salt 1 or a Pacific Salt, in Spyderedge. Black or yellow are your color choices and the knife cannot rust, no matter what you throw at it.
I most certainly can be done as I have checked into it in the past, just never have gone forward with it. What in looking for is input from someone who has had it done, and if "they" were happy with it afterwards.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Reference_Sensor,

Welcome to our forum.

And thanx to both Referense_Sensor and Gryfer for your service.

sal
Reference_Sensor

Post by Reference_Sensor »

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone!
"let a man never stir a step on the road without his weapons of war, for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without." Havamal, verse 38
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Reference_Sensor and Grjfer:
Welcome to our forum. I hope both of you are aware of our OpFocus program. As veterans, you qualify to receive a substantial discount from us. Visit, https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/ for details on how to get qualified.

We appreciate your service.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

TazKristi wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:06 pm
Reference_Sensor and Grjfer:
Welcome to our forum. I hope both of you are aware of our OpFocus program. As veterans, you qualify to receive a substantial discount from us. Visit, https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/ for details on how to get qualified.

We appreciate your service.

Kristi
Kristi, I saw that in another thread. That is a super deal, thank you.