Let's Get Serious: G-10 Handles Are Just Hard To Beat For EDC uses

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Let's Get Serious: G-10 Handles Are Just Hard To Beat For EDC uses

Post by JD Spydo »

We've had many great threads on handle materials in the past and I've learned from and enjoyed many of those past threads. But I've been thinking lately that in the future I'm going to be mainly focused on upcoming models with G-10 handles for my own purposes. Over the years I've just had excellent overall results using Spyderco's G-10 handles compared to just about any other handle that Spyderco offers now or has offered in the past.

When it comes to ease of maintenance, reliability, grip and durability I just don't know of any of handle material of Spyderco's that I would put up against it at this time. Oh I miss the older Micarta handles a lot and some of their titanium handled units I've had in the past were also great but again none of them can compete with all the advantages that you can get from a high quality G-10 handle. For folders or fixed blades too for that matter.

OK with all of that said who wants to make a case against G-10? Or what other handle material do you all like better and why? Or do you all think that the current G-10 material Spyderco is using can be improved on? OK let's talk about Spyderco's great G-10 handles.
Marulaghost

Re: Let's Get Serious: G-10 Handles Are Just Hard To Beat For EDC uses

Post by Marulaghost »

G-10 is absolutely fantastic. No question when it comes to that at all.

But i also really like FRN. It's so grippy!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Marulaghost wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:12 am
G-10 is absolutely fantastic. No question when it comes to that at all.

But i also really like FRN. It's so grippy!
That's interesting that you bring up FRN handles. And truly I have nothing at all against FRN because it does have advantages in the areas of "Weight", "Comfort", "Grip" and being chemical and corrosion resistant along with several other great features it has. But for my own personal uses I've found G-10 to have a better "Grip Factor" and you can actually completely restore a used and weathered G-10 handle by cleaning and coating it with Ballistol. Ballistol is like a "wonder drug" for G -10 handles. I've taken Ballistol and made really beat up G-10 handles look very close to factory new.

I will say this>> if there is a model I really love>> I most certainly won't let an FRN handle deter me from owning and using it. Take my beloved SPYDERHAWK model for instance. I own just about every variant of that model ever made and I wouldn't even consider trading or selling any of them and they all have FRN handles. Good Point!! :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I could get linerless G10 with machined textures like FRN gets I'd take G10 over FRN every time. Even with the standard peel ply texture I'm more inclined to choose G10 over FRN when it's an option.

That said, I also feel the Salt models have a distinct advantage over an equivalent steel linered G10 version. The reality is if you're using a Pacific hard enough to break the handle you've probably crossed over into wrong tool for the job territory. My only real concern is deformation of the pivot hole, which could be remedied by using minimal liners like the Manix 2 lightweight uses. Otherwise full liners are just excess weight. The Military proves it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:00 am
If I could get linerless G10 with machined textures like FRN gets I'd take G10 over FRN every time. Even with the standard peel ply texture I'm more inclined to choose G10 over FRN when it's an option.

That said, I also feel the Salt models have a distinct advantage over an equivalent steel linered G10 version. The reality is if you're using a Pacific hard enough to break the handle you've probably crossed over into wrong tool for the job territory. My only real concern is deformation of the pivot hole, which could be remedied by using minimal liners like the Manix 2 lightweight uses. Otherwise full liners are just excess weight. The Military proves it.
Now this is sort of confusing to me :confused: and maybe someone can shed light on it for me. There are a core group of guys here and at BF who all condemn folders that have liners :confused: And with weight being a factor that seems to be the "deal breaker' for many of you just baffles me to no end :confused: I mean to say that I find it extremely hard to understand why just a mere ounce or so of weight could be a hinderance to any healthy average sized man. Even with fixed blades I've only ever had two in my entire life that I thought were a bit on the heavy side.

Now I'm no macho-man, or Mike Tyson prototype nor did I ever play tackle football in my athletic endeavors. But with all that said the weight of any of Spyderco's folders has never been a problem for me at all. Maybe some of you guys feel like extra weight is a potential problem in some respects.

Now I will admit that I tend to like something like titanium or high grade, aircraft aluminum for liners>> but not necessarily because of weight but because of the corrosion resistant properties. Even my Spyderco Chinook III as chunky as it is doesn't bother me in the least>> and that's about as heavy of a folder that I've owned in years. Or am I overlooking an 8 foot tall sasquatch in the hallway :confused: ????
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I prefer G10 to FRN, but do like the latter on some Spydies, especially the ones that started as or quickly became FRN models (my Salts, Stretches, Delica, for example).

I get that FRN becomes less expensive than G10 to produce after a certain sales volume has paid for the molds. And the changeover conforms to yet another admirable Spyderco ethic: lessen the cost of production of excellent models with no loss of quality.

But, I will probably avoid FRN versions of Spydies that I’ve known only in G10 just because I perceive it to have greater solidity, even while knowing the material does not impart more strength than FRN to a knife.

This fact remains: if you’re pushing the limit of the strength imparted to a Spydie by either G10 or FRN, you likely need a different tool.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

G-10 is indeed great! But I gotta say I like the Golden peel-ply carbon fiber too! It seems grippier than G-10 but at the same time shreds my pockets less. And it's just sexy lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

FRN is better.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:35 am
:confused: ????
I just like the idea of making something as simple and light as possible without sacrificing strength. Like a high performance sports car, trim as much weight where you can when it isn't vital to performance. It's easy to overbuild a knife and give it 1/8 inch thick liners and oversized screws and such and yeah it'll be stupid strong but given the intended use is it really necessary? It's far more challenging to make a knife like the Military where it's full size and strong enough to beat on while also being as light as possible. I guess it comes down to a sweet spot between strength and weight and a little bit about simplicity. My first Spyderco was the Native Lightweight and I really loved the one piece handle, there are only 8 parts to that knife overall and only 5 without a clip.

Besides having a place to drill and tap for clip screws, what advantage do you gain from having liners extend all the way back to the butt of the handle? Do you really think a Military would be stronger if it had full liners? When the G10 is as thick as it is on the end of the Military, flex isn't even an issue. I think it gives some people a little added sense of security but the Military for example has liners where the loads are highest and that's really what matters most isn't it? Ultimately you'll break or rip out the stop pin and/or pivot screws or break the blade before you have an issue where full liners would have made it stronger overall.

For the record I also love the stupid overbuilt stuff and I love the idea of creating a folder that rivals fixed blade strength, but that's a whole other topic and not likely something I'd EDC.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:00 am

Now this is sort of confusing to me :confused: and maybe someone can shed light on it for me. There are a core group of guys here and at BF who all condemn folders that have liners :confused: And with weight being a factor that seems to be the "deal breaker' for many of you just baffles me to no end :confused: I mean to say that I find it extremely hard to understand why just a mere ounce or so of weight could be a hinderance to any healthy average sized man. Even with fixed blades I've only ever had two in my entire life that I thought were a bit on the heavy side.

Now I'm no macho-man, or Mike Tyson prototype nor did I ever play tackle football in my athletic endeavors. But with all that said the weight of any of Spyderco's folders has never been a problem for me at all. Maybe some of you guys feel like extra weight is a potential problem in some respects.

Now I will admit that I tend to like something like titanium or high grade, aircraft aluminum for liners>> but not necessarily because of weight but because of the corrosion resistant properties. Even my Spyderco Chinook III as chunky as it is doesn't bother me in the least>> and that's about as heavy of a folder that I've owned in years. Or am I overlooking an 8 foot tall sasquatch in the hallway :confused: ????
JD,

One or two ounces might not seem like a big deal if you're just carrying keys, a wallet and a single pocket knife around town wearing a pair of jeans.

But when I go jogging on my local mountain trails with a knife clipped IWB, I definitely notice an extra ounce or two bouncing around.

Another factor to consider is how trimming an ounce here and there adds up when you carry a lot of gear. I had a job where I'd carry a multitool, large flash light, pistol, extra magazine and some other gear. Trimming an ounce or two off every piece of gear could lighten my load by up to a pound, which made a big difference as I had to walk over 8 miles per shift.

Size doesn't bother me nearly as much as weight does. I don't mind the length of a Police or the width of my Manix XL in my pocket. If I need to access stuff in my right front pocket often I can always clip my Manix IWB or on my side pocket of my carhartts.
:unicorn
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

JD,
I'm one of those guys who prefer FRN with no liners. As it happens, I'm a 200 lb. weightlifter -- the issue isn't me, it's my clothes. Around the house, I wear sweatpants or lightweight shorts (depending on the weather) and they all have flimsy pockets. So, even the half ounce difference between the Salt 2 wharncliffe and the regular Delica wharncliffe is noticeable.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

G10 with liners are my sweet feel in a knife, and like you don’t understand the no liners crowd

But like and prefer FRN for salts

But would love to see anything in H1 with G10 scales and titanium hardware
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

dsvirsky wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:18 am
...I'm a 200 lb. weightlifter -- the issue isn't me, it's my clothes. Around the house, I wear sweatpants or lightweight shorts (depending on the weather) and they all have flimsy pockets. So, even the half ounce difference between the Salt 2 wharncliffe and the regular Delica wharncliffe is noticeable.
@dsvirsky - Listen to me now and hear me later :D. I'm a 155 lb runner and like you I often wear lightweight workout pants. My solution for carrying knives is this: "Nathan Zipster Lite Runner Belt". There are similar products on the market but this is the best. It's a micro-mesh material, very light weight and you'll forget you even have it on. It can be comfortably worn under waistband for complete concealment. Also great for carrying my cell phone, ear buds, keys, etc...

@OP - For what it's worth, yeah G-10 is tough and practical, but I'm a sucker for titanium and CF.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

G-10 and FRN are my two favorite folder handle materials. I don’t really have a clear favorite between them. They both offer excellent traction and light weight. Neither conducts heat very well. Like others here, I just love a lightweight (yet tough) folder, and despite not loving FRCP, my Manix Lightweight is very much carried. At only 70 grams modified it is hard to kick out of my pocket.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I absolutely choose G10 every time, no question. I hate to be so wishy washy about it, but that is how it is.
As far as I am concerned CF is just another flavor of G10, though strictly speaking that is not true I guess.
I see no advantage of CF over G10 other than cosmetics, so I like it just fine.

I have had no problem with FRN, but in my gang of knives there is one or two FRN and the rest are G10.
When I see FRN I just turn the page.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I like G10 & frn both just fine. I like linen micarta perhaps a little better than both. As far as liners, I think the pivot area should have them, and I guess I don’t much care if the rest of the knife does or does not. I do like to see liners completely nested, rather than simply stacking a scale on a full dimension liner.
Anubisman

Post by Anubisman »

I can't believe how light my Orange G-10 UP Rescue slipit is now that I wear dress uniform pants instead of cargo pants. Useful too!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 am
JD Spydo wrote:
:confused: ????
I just like the idea of making something as simple and light as possible without sacrificing strength. Like a high performance sports car, trim as much weight where you can when it isn't vital to performance. It's easy to overbuild a knife and give it 1/8 inch thick liners and oversized screws and such and yeah it'll be stupid strong but given the intended use is it really necessary?

For the record I also love the stupid overbuilt stuff and I love the idea of creating a folder that rivals fixed blade strength, but that's a whole other topic and not likely something I'd EDC.
I can see exactly where you are coming from. Because back in my athletic days when I ran 10Ks, 20Ks and marathons along with some serious bicycle racing I will admit that "weight" got to be a huge factor for me. Especially in the area of bicycle racing I got completely ridiculous about it :rolleyes:

Now when it comes to pocketknives I more or less identify with that last sentence you made. I tend to like stuff that is super rigid. Which is one of the main reasons I tend to like G-10 better than FRN. I just get a much better feel of confidence with G-10 handles. And the liners have just never been an issue with me personally.

Like with my Micarta StREETBEAT model I've handled the lightweight version and I'll take the heavier, more rigid Micarta handled version any day of the week. Although I will admit I did have thoughts of getting a lightweight version of the STREETBEAT and having Wiley Knives put serrations on it. When I get better off money-wise that's one project I might check out at some point. Now I do love The TEMPERANCE 1 model with it's FRN handle. That's one FRN handle that Spyderco did perfect.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

For a work horse folder G10 and FRN are 2 hard to beat materials. I'd say FRN is tougher though. Bounces more when it hits the ground instead of chipping. Both can be cleaned with electrical parts cleaner too for quick degreasing without damaging them. For a knife that I know is going to be used hard and in dirty conditions I'd prefer FRN. I also find G10 smoothes out over time and loses its initial texture. Frn is molded and keeps its texture better over time.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like it all but in my users I prefer frn...and all my knives are users. Lighter weight, better grip when wet/bloody yet slides in and out of pocket or waistband easier than peel ply g10. I also like that it brings the price point down on any given model. I’ll get an frn para3 soon and I doubt I’ll ever carry my g10 model anymore.