Let's Get Serious: G-10 Handles Are Just Hard To Beat For EDC uses

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Let's Get Serious: G-10 Handles Are Just Hard To Beat For EDC uses

Post by Woodpuppy »

I once had a set of bicycle wheels which used carbon fiber spokes. These where almond shaped in cross section. Very tough in tension, you could pull the nipples through the rim if you overtightened them. But get a stick or pedal into the spokes from the side? You’re hitch-hiking or walking home. My experience with CF is bad, esp when thinking about cost/value.

Power tools use FRN housings/casings. Tough stuff.

G10 is proven. I agree OP, tough to beat.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Since “edc uses” vary wildly, it’s hard to compare g10 with FRN or FRCP. I would guess that they are both hard to beat, G10 being better for some uses, FRN and FRCP a bit better for others.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

I like the carbon fiber stocks on my Yojimbo 2. That' s my favorite Spyderco knife. I hope we see a dealer exclusive carbon fiber on the Autonomy 2.
Crux

Post by Crux »

If I could I'd build my house entirely out of carbon fiber.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Crux wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:49 pm
C'Mon man, you can do it. Think outside the box.
Crux

Post by Crux »

JohnAPA wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:55 pm
Crux wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:49 pm
C'Mon man, you can do it. Think outside the box.
The drawback is it would could a mint and a half, and my wife would force me to paint over it. ug
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:56 pm
Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:44 pm
I prefer g10 over frn, but only when i have worn off the initial "grippiness". I don't like the dry scratchy feeling of New g10. Out of the box frn feels a lot smoother in hand.
I work in construction and have rough hands and New g10 feels like sandpaper.
Who needs that much grip anyways, apart from shabazzes vaselinefactory workers.
Smooth g10 FTW.
Glad you brought that up!!! Because that Ballistol also gives G-10 a less scratchy or abrasive texture overall. Just take a used toothbrush and slowly brush in "Ballistol" on a new G-10 handle and I think you'll really like the results. It actually feels a lot more like a high end grade of carbon fiber. And it still maintains it's ideal grip factor.

Also the BALLISTOL treatment of G-10 gives it a resistance from caustic, high alkali construction materials as well.
You are absolutely right Joe.
Ballistol is great for freshing up g10, i used it on my oldest spyder, a Pm2 that had been in the washingmachine.
The g10 had a kind of milky/cloudy finish. A round of ballistol and the colour and shine was back.
I've put the ballistol on leather, wood, g10 and frn and it works on everything.
When purchasing the ballistol universal oil i bought a spraycan ceramic gunoil.
This has been Great for oiling up pinned/backlock pivots.
Hooray for ballistol. :)
Ceramic gunoil, for those that are interested :)
Ceramic gunoil, for those that are interested :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

G10 is great stuff. Some is better than others. Personally I’m really enjoying the current cf over g10 coming out of Taiwan. The texture and look are just right on my Rhino, Amalgam and Smock. I think it’s my favourite modern folder handle material.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
BigBadSheWolf

Post by BigBadSheWolf »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:35 am

I find it extremely hard to understand why just a mere ounce or so of weight could be a hinderance to any healthy average sized man.
I hope you are not assuming that women don't buy and use Spyderco knives? ;-)
Anyway, it's not always the weight of the knife that's the issue, sometimes it's the weight of the fabric of our clothes that's incompatible with heavier knives.
Hälsningar,

Sigrid
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I like G10 just fine, but Spydercos bi directional textured FRN is a phenomenal scale material for an edc. It’s my favorite material for my favorite EDC: the delica.

That said, my current EDC is the smooth scaled nishijin R, so I’m really not too choosy with the scale material. Whatever works well with the design.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm kinda sick of the diamond and ruby scales so G-10 is a nice change.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mom3ntuM wrote:
I prefer g10 over frn, but only when i have worn off the initial "grippiness". I don't like the dry scratchy feeling of New g10. Out of the box frn feels a lot smoother in hand.
Smooth g10 FTW.
Glad you brought that up!!! Because that Ballistol also gives G-10 a less scratchy or abrasive texture overall. Just take a used toothbrush and slowly brush in "Ballistol" on a new G-10 handle and I think you'll really like the results. It actually feels a lot more like a high end grade of carbon fiber. And it still maintains it's ideal grip factor.

Also the BALLISTOL treatment of G-10 gives it a resistance from caustic, high alkali construction materials as well.
Ballistol is great for freshing up g10, i used it on my oldest spyder, a Pm2 that had been in the washingmachine.
The g10 had a kind of milky/cloudy finish. A round of ballistol and the colour and shine was back.
I've put the ballistol on leather, wood, g10 and frn and it works on everything.
IMG_20190303_214252.jpg
I wish I could convince everyone of the great restoration properties that BALLISTOL has for G-10 and other materials. I'm really glad it worked out for you. I must admit I've never used it on wood before because I've always been a big fan of "raw linseed oil" ( not boiled). But I'm now anxious to try it out for some wood tool handles of some tools that were just given to me.
Now I have used it for some firearms applications ( especially automatics and bolt actions) and I've also used it on a wide variety of outdoor tools.
Brother I'm so glad to hear that it worked well for you :)
SleeplessInSoCal

Post by SleeplessInSoCal »

BigBadSheWolf wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:52 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:35 am

I find it extremely hard to understand why just a mere ounce or so of weight could be a hinderance to any healthy average sized man.
I hope you are not assuming that women don't buy and use Spyderco knives? ;-)
Anyway, it's not always the weight of the knife that's the issue, sometimes it's the weight of the fabric of our clothes that's incompatible with heavier knives.
Good point Sigrid. Scale weight and abrasion are not to be ignored. Balance, too. I can’t imagine one of my Manix 2 sprints (some of my favorite EDC knives) being even heavier, even though they benefit from the skeletonized liners. On the other hand, I wouldn’t mind it one bit if my favorite PM2 models (M390 and Rex45) borrowed some of that tank-like solid feel, and were actually .25 oz heavier.

With all of that said, G10 is still my long time favorite. FRN reminds me of every $5 Chinese folding knife that I’ve ever handled. I realize from all of the expert opinions on here that it’s just ignorance on my part. I just can’t shake it.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:22 pm
I like it all but in my users I prefer frn...and all my knives are users. Lighter weight, better grip when wet/bloody yet slides in and out of pocket or waistband easier than peel ply g10. I also like that it brings the price point down on any given model. I’ll get an frn para3 soon and I doubt I’ll ever carry my g10 model anymore.
I second that.G10 is great,but for me,FRN is perfect.I am waiting for the Para 3 LTW,also,hope they will soon made one with blue handles.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Crux

Post by Crux »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:24 pm
Mom3ntuM wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Mom3ntuM wrote:
Smooth g10 FTW.

IMG_20190303_214252.jpg
I wish I could convince everyone of the great restoration properties that BALLISTOL has for G-10 and other materials. I'm really glad it worked out for you. I must admit I've never used it on wood before because I've always been a big fan of "raw linseed oil" ( not boiled). But I'm now anxious to try it out for some wood tool handles of some tools that were just given to me.
Now I have used it for some firearms applications ( especially automatics and bolt actions) and I've also used it on a wide variety of outdoor tools.
JD, are you on their payroll? :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Crux wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:26 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:24 pm
Mom3ntuM wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

IMG_20190303_214252.jpg
JD, are you on their payroll? :)
Nope!!! I have no affiliation with BALLISTOL or it's parent company what so ever. I just know a good product when I have as good of results as I've had with it. I don't own stock in the company nor am I in any type of business that would make me richer for touting the product ;)

Ballistol has so many viable uses. I've been cleaning and re-lubricating some of my German made D.A.M. Quick fishing reels and I'm finding that not only does BALLISTOL have good lubricating and restoration properties but it's a great cleaner too. Because unlike harsh solvents it leaves a nice coating on anything you clean with it. But again it is the best thing yet I've found to use on G-10 handles.

In all fairness if any of you come up with anything you think is better for cleaning and rejuvenating G-10 handles I'll be glad to take a look at it and try it out.