Let's Get Serious: G-10 Handles Are Just Hard To Beat For EDC uses

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Let's Get Serious: G-10 Handles Are Just Hard To Beat For EDC uses

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:39 pm
For a work horse folder G10 and FRN are 2 hard to beat materials. I'd say FRN is tougher though. Bounces more when it hits the ground instead of chipping. Both can be cleaned with electrical parts cleaner too for quick degreasing without damaging them. For a knife that I know is going to be used hard and in dirty conditions I'd prefer FRN. I also find G10 smoothes out over time and loses its initial texture. Frn is molded and keeps its texture better over time.
Well VASH I think that there is a case to be made for many of the issues you brought up concerning G-10 versus FRN. However I do maintain that G-10 is truly a material that you can repair and restore a lot easier than you can with FRN. And please guys don't get me wrong because I'm not at all "Anti-FRN". GOD knows I probably own about as many FRN Spyders that I can even count off the top of my head. And I do have 3 FRN handled models in my constant user rotation. And even if they did make a G-10 version of my dearly beloved SPYDERHAWK model I would still keep all of my FRN SPYDERHAWK models and probably continue to use about half of them in my user rotation as well.

But G-10 just has a lot more going for it overall. You can take BALLISTOL and treat your user G-10 models about twice a year or so and they will look virtually new. But I've yet to find anything that will restore FRN to it's original factory luster. Also I just feel G-10 has a significantly better grip in wet and cold conditions. The G-10 on my Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob has an excellent grip factor.

Now that one statement about G-10 smoothing out over time>> I did sort of notice that with some of the older generation of G-10 Spyderco handles. I noticed that on my RENEGADE and BLACKHAWK models both. But any Spyderco G-10 folder made after 2009 with that better grade of G-10 I've never had that problem at all. Just keep it treated with Ballistol and you will not have that problem I can assure you. And that Ballistol will bring back the original deep color of the material when you got it new from the factory.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I prefer g10 over frn, but only when i have worn off the initial "grippiness". I don't like the dry scratchy feeling of New g10. Out of the box frn feels a lot smoother in hand.
I work in construction and have rough hands and New g10 feels like sandpaper.
Who needs that much grip anyways, apart from shabazzes vaselinefactory workers.
Smooth g10 FTW.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:44 pm
I prefer g10 over frn, but only when i have worn off the initial "grippiness". I don't like the dry scratchy feeling of New g10. Out of the box frn feels a lot smoother in hand.
Smooth g10 FTW.
Glad you brought that up!!! Because that Ballistol also gives G-10 a less scratchy or abrasive texture overall. Just take a used toothbrush and slowly brush in "Ballistol" on a new G-10 handle and I think you'll really like the results. It actually feels a lot more like a high end grade of carbon fiber. And it still maintains it's ideal grip factor.

Also the BALLISTOL treatment of G-10 gives it a resistance from caustic, high alkali construction materials as well.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:56 pm
Mom3ntuM wrote:
Smooth g10 FTW.
Glad you brought that up!!! Because that Ballistol also gives G-10 a less scratchy or abrasive texture overall. Just take a used toothbrush and slowly brush in "Ballistol" on a new G-10 handle and I think you'll really like the results. It actually feels a lot more like a high end grade of carbon fiber. And it still maintains it's ideal grip factor.

Also the BALLISTOL treatment of G-10 gives it a resistance from caustic, high alkali construction materials as well.
I Will give that a try, checked on the interweb and we do have ballistol in Norway.
I found different types though, wich one should i use?
James Dean
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:02 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mom3ntuM wrote:
Smooth g10 FTW.

I Will give that a try, checked on the interweb and we do have ballistol in Norway.
Well I know that BALLISTOL is available almost everywhere in Germany ( so I've been told by a reliable source). You can also order it directly from Spyderco's factory outlet ( SFO) and that's where I've gotten my last 16 oz can of it. Try not to get the aerosol spray cans>> because if you just get it in one of their big cans like they use in machine shops you will get it for a fraction of what they charge for those aerosol cans. It costs almost double or triple in those aerosol cans here in the USA.

I can assure you that you will be amazed at how well it works with G-10 handles. I also use BALLISTOL on a wide range of cleaning and lubricating jobs. It does both really well. The smell is a bit strong but it does dissipate in a short period of time. I do a lot of work on old fishing reels and it also works very well cleaning them up as well as many other items you can restore with it. Keep us posted and let us know how well it works for you. :)
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

So i guess it's the universal oil. I do like spyderco and would have ordered from them, but 45$ shipping for a can of Oil that is avaliable here. Nope :)
James Dean
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've had my G10 wear down to a smoother texture. You can bring back the color with oils like ballistol but it can't restore physical wear of the texture itself. My Police 3 user feels a lot different than the identical pre-need back-ups I bought.
:unicorn
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

For the most part I'd agree. I tried micarta scales on my PM2 but ended up takin them off. I missed the solid grip and rigidity of of the g-10, the micarta sort of felt like cardboard after a while.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I have to say I prefer carbon fiber, even peel ply on G-10.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 pm
I've had my G10 wear down to a smoother texture. You can bring back the color with oils like ballistol but it can't restore physical wear of the texture itself. My Police 3 user feels a lot different than the identical pre-need back-ups I bought.
A lot of what you're pointing out has to do with the "grade" of G-10. For instance I've had one of the original 2003/2004 era DODO models ever since they came out. I've found that the G-10 that is used on most of the GOLDEN made models maintains it's grip factor significantly better than some of the Japan made models. I've used that 2003/2004 era Dodo a lot over the years and it's just as grippy as it was the day I bought it.

However I've made it a point to maintain all of folders on a constant basis. I really can't recall any Spyderco models other than my earlier RENEGADE & BLACKHAWK models that the G-10 handle lost it's grip properties. I EDCed a RENEGADE model for almost a year back in the 2004 era and that G-10 got sort of slick over time. But that's the only one I can remember. And believe me I put my EDC folders through very demanding work in a year's time.
Forest Elk

Post by Forest Elk »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Mom3ntuM wrote:
Smooth g10 FTW.

This is it! Tin can containing 1/2 liters for abt. 13 Euros (German price). I use it for maintenance of firearms, wooden grips, blades a.s.o. Great oil, highly recommended!
"Never leave home without a knife!" :spyder:

My Spydies: Native CPM440V, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4 FFG, Endura4-ZDP, Endura4, UKPK-G10, UKPK-CF, Salt1, PM 2, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly Salt, Dragonfly-ZDP, Dragonfly Nishijin, Squeak, Lil' Native CompLock, Dragonfly-G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Forest Elk wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:18 am
Mom3ntuM wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Mom3ntuM wrote:
Smooth g10 FTW.

This is it! Tin can containing 1/2 liters for abt. 13 Euros (German price). I use it for maintenance of firearms, wooden grips, blades a.s.o. Great oil, highly recommended!
How interesting!!!?? I had no idea that there were other variants of BALLISTOL :confused: . I'll have to do some digging on that one. I'm pretty sure that any product they would put out would be quite useful IMO. It seems like I was told once that the product BALLISTOL originally came from Germany to begin with. Not exactly sure on that one but I was told that about two years ago from a good friend of mine.

Funny you mention "wooden grips" because I was just told recently that BALLISTOL was indeed good to use on certain woods ( especially hardwoods).
It's interesting that BALLISTOL is known for it's lubricant properties as well as being a great cleaner on many different types of jobs. I will most certainly check out these other variants of BALLISTOL. I would be interested to know what they are used for primarily.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:00 am
My only real concern is deformation of the pivot hole, which could be remedied by using minimal liners like the Manix 2 lightweight uses. Otherwise full liners are just excess weight. The Military proves it.
You make a really good point.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I think G10 is classy, and I like G10 for that reason. But isn't FRN always going top be thinner? That would really benefit a knife like the PM3 that's kind of fat.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:22 pm
’ll get an frn para3 soon and I doubt I’ll ever carry my g10 model anymore.
I would REALLY like a PM3 in FRN :)

I see a parallel here between G10 vs FRN and wood vs synthetic stock rifles. Wood is more attractive, but synthetic is way more practical. I think this is exactly the case with G10 vs FRN.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Forest Elk wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:18 am
Mom3ntuM wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Mom3ntuM wrote:
Smooth g10 FTW.

Thx :)
Screenshot_20190223_155200.jpg
James Dean
Forest Elk

Post by Forest Elk »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 am

How interesting!!!?? I had no idea that there were other variants of BALLISTOL :confused: . I'll have to do some digging on that one. I'm pretty sure that any product they would put out would be quite useful IMO. It seems like I was told once that the product BALLISTOL originally came from Germany to begin with. Not exactly sure on that one but I was told that about two years ago from a good friend of mine.

Funny you mention "wooden grips" because I was just told recently that BALLISTOL was indeed good to use on certain woods ( especially hardwoods).
It's interesting that BALLISTOL is known for it's lubricant properties as well as being a great cleaner on many different types of jobs. I will most certainly check out these other variants of BALLISTOL. I would be interested to know what they are used for primarily.
Please find attached below the link to the BALLISTOL homepage (English version):

https://ballistol.de/shop/en
"Never leave home without a knife!" :spyder:

My Spydies: Native CPM440V, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4 FFG, Endura4-ZDP, Endura4, UKPK-G10, UKPK-CF, Salt1, PM 2, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly Salt, Dragonfly-ZDP, Dragonfly Nishijin, Squeak, Lil' Native CompLock, Dragonfly-G10
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

dreadpirate wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:31 am
I think G10 is classy, and I like G10 for that reason. But isn't FRN always going top be thinner? That would really benefit a knife like the PM3 that's kind of fat.
I kinda remember Eric saying the dimensions for the P3 LW will be the same all around (lanyard hole and clip aside) as the regular Para

On that topic, I'm actually kinda ok with a fat handle, especially if it's with a more rugged blade. The Chap can have a super thin handle cause the knife isn't meant for the same stuff necessarily as a para 3. A wider handle is more comfortable when you're doing hard tasks, especially over long periods
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

With the new FRN patterns which somehow combine the smooth feel and high traction attributes along with being lighter, I prefer that over G-10. I don’t use my folders very hard so the strength is there.

Weight is not an issue for me one way or the other. I wear a three pound leg brace so a few ounces plus or minus is irrelevant.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I kind of had a feeling that this thread might have turned out to be a "Ford versus Chevy" type discussion>> but what the heck that is good in a way. Because some of the praises you guys bring up about FRN I had never given much thought to.

However I will maintain that there are certain models with G-10 handles that FRN really couldn't replace. One prime example is our beloved C-36 Military model. I can deal with it having a Titanium or even an aircraft grade aluminum handle but not FRN>> no not for that model. Also when they did the first Sprint Run for the C-60 Ayoob model in G-10 it made that knife twice as good as it was with the original "almite" handle.

Now SURF brings up good points>> because many in the Salt Series really do well with FRN handles. And FRN is probably better suited for salt water cutting jobs than G-10 might be. As much as a Micarta fan as I've been over the years I'm starting to like G-10 even better for about a half a dozen reasons. And two of you guys point out that G-10 just has a more classy look than FRN and I doubt if anyone can deny that. Both materials most definitely have their respective places in the Spyderco line up. But I'm still going to cast my vote for G-10