My take on the Spyderco Police...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: My take on the Spyderco Police...

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Haha :D Fair enough Vivi.

Yeah Sal, I think it's safe to say you've had a bit of an influence on my taste in knives :D

Rick, it was that Shaman man (Im carrying it as I write this). I ended up liking it so much it reminded me to try new things, and to step out of my comfort zone every once in a while.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I spent most of yesterday playing around with my new knife :D.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Interesting “melt” treatment.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I will eventually get a Police in K390 to go along with my K2 in 10V
Either steel in a big thin blade is just one nasty, mean, slicing machine.
I've really enjoyed my K390 Mule over the years as well.
Reference_Sensor

Post by Reference_Sensor »

I have an older Police Model, fully serrated, that was very slippery in the hand until I masked it off and alox blasted the scales with a few passes, and now it stays put in either hand or pocket. The dull finish is nice to have when I don't want to "advertise." I let a buddy of mine borrow it once and he opened up his hand with it, so now I warn everyone who asks: my knives are sharper than what you are used to, so tell me what you plan to use it for and I'll tell you whether you can borrow it. Most of the time, they end up with my Victorinox Tinker for everyday cutting tasks, and if they show interest, I send them a Tinker via Amazon. Best $18 you can spend to build a bridge, IMHO.

The P4 has haunted me for quite a while, but I just ordered an Amalgam, so my knife budget for this month is done.
"let a man never stir a step on the road without his weapons of war, for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without." Havamal, verse 38
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I just recently got my P3 on the secondary market. I was planning on a P4 but the P3 was priced too well to pass up. I also have a blurple Military, and the Car/Ti S90V steel Military.

This might sound a little weird but I've come to realize I prefer VG10 over steels like S110V in larger knives. The reason being is I actually hesitate using my blurple S110V Military too roughly as I'm worried the blade will snap. I think I even saw one guy snap his blade opening a pop can on another forum. I know blades break from incorrect knife use, but I want to know I can depend on it in any situation. I don't know a lot about K390 but I heard it's a lot like S110V so I'm actually glad I got the older more forgiving VG10 version.

Holding both the P3 and my Military's they may look similar but in the hand they are more different then you would expect. For one the P3 feels 2x heavier then my Military which is weird because there's less then an ounce difference. This makes me assume the Military might be a little more balanced. The second is the P3 is a much more thinner knife and for me sits in the pocket better. But lastly and more importantly for me the action and deployment on the Military is a little faster and nicer on both the frame and liner lock models then the P3. The P3 is't terrible but it has that same slightly awkward angle an Endura has.

Both knives are amazing and fun to own, but I don't think the p4 is going to usurp the Military's spot anytime soon.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have about 4 Police knives, all of which are the old SS model; 2 are in ATS-55, and 2 are in VG-10. It's clear that I like the SS Police. I still carry the full SE VG-10 one on occasion.

I've never owned a Police 3 or 4. I would have preferred the P3 with the VG-10 steel over the current K390 version.

Jim
sal

Post by sal »

Hi James,

My plan for the FRN P4 is: VG-10 ( black ), ZDP ( British Racing Green ), K390 ( midnight blue ).

sal
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:17 pm
Hi James,

My plan for the FRN P4 is: VG-10 ( black ), ZDP ( British Racing Green ), K390 ( midnight blue ).

sal
Hi Sal,

I think a possible improvement you could make on the P4 is replacing the stainless steel back spacer with a lighter G10 version.

Cheers!
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Midnight blue sounds like a great color for that steel

Even better that it's on a police!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Howsabout burnt orange / hap40? :D
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I love my Police 4. It disappears in my back pocket, and K390 is some really sweet steel.
sal

Post by sal »

cbrstar wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:24 pm
sal wrote:
Hi James,

sal
Hi Sal,

I think a possible improvement you could make on the P4 is replacing the stainless steel back spacer with a lighter G10 version.

Cheers!
The back-spacer on the FRN model is FRN, like the Endura. 117.6 gms. 4.15 oz ) 4.4" blade - skeletonized nested liners.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:17 pm
cbrstar wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:24 pm
sal wrote:
Hi James,

sal
Hi Sal,

Cheers!
The back-spacer on the FRN model is FRN, like the Endura. 117.6 gms. 4.15 oz ) 4.4" blade - skeletonized nested liners.

sal
Thanks for telling us the weight, Sal. Even more excited for this model now!
:unicorn
mayong

Post by mayong »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:19 pm
Thanks for telling us the weight, Sal. Even more excited for this model now!

+1!
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Oh boy, so now I'm in a dilema what to get: the frn k390 or the current g10 version 🤔
I never owned a knife in FRN, besides weight and lower cost, any other attribute worth mentioning?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

emanuel wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:10 am
Oh boy, so now I'm in a dilema what to get: the frn k390 or the current g10 version 🤔
I never owned a knife in FRN, besides weight and lower cost, any other attribute worth mentioning?
I know what ya mean. 9 times out of 10, I will opt for G10.
But, this P4 in K390 in FRN, seems really neat.
I'll prolly get the FRN!
francoiski

Post by francoiski »

frn police 4! that is something exciting! are they dropping soon sal?
vivi

Post by vivi »

emanuel wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:10 am
They are grippier and the corners of the handle tend to be much more rounded and comfortable. FRN resists damage from being dropped better. Cheaper and lighter like you mentioned. More likely to see sprints and various handle colors.

It'll be interesting seeing which version is most popular a year from now.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

sal wrote:
Hi James,

sal
That sounds really good. I'll take a black one!

Jim