CPM Rex 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: CPM Rex 45

Post by ZrowsN1s »

mtice wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:01 am
Has anyone sharpened Rex 45 with the Sharpmaker yet? Will the medium stones work on this steel?
I've sharpened and reprofiled the Rex45 para3 on the sharpmaker. It does help to have the diamond or cbn rods, but the mediums will get you there if you've got the time. Took it all the way up to the ultra fine, I knew I was done when I went to wipe it off and it cut through two layers of microfiber cloth and cut me :D

Reprofiling or 'setting' the bevel is a chore, but once you get it there, touch ups are a breeze.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's cool Pelagic, I thought I was weird that sometimes I free hand with a Sharpmaker rod in my hand and not using the base. Sometimes if I feel like it's taking too long in the base, I'll go freehand and get the desired results rather quickly. It depends on the day for me I guess haha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Para 3 Rex 45 available at knivesandtools.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

One Para 3 Rex 45 available at knifecenter
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:32 pm
One Para 3 Rex 45 available at knifecenter
Looks like they also had a Para 2 available... we'll see if I get it, or maybe it was a fluke.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

[Error]
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Well... KnifeCenter just shipped a Paramilitary 2 Rex 45 that it said they had in stock on Friday. I'm quite surprised. How is it that they have a Rex 45 Paramilitary 2 in stock? Was it a return?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'd guess a return at this point. But, I'd give it a thorough look over see if it looks like it's been taken apart. If you're handy with your knives, you could probably tune it in properly even if it had been and determine if there's an issue with it. Do you have any other PM2's to compare it with?

I'd be cautiously optimistic!!

-Rick
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:10 pm
I'd guess a return at this point. But, I'd give it a thorough look over see if it looks like it's been taken apart. If you're handy with your knives, you could probably tune it in properly even if it had been and determine if there's an issue with it. Do you have any other PM2's to compare it with?

Good point. Yes, I have 3 other PM2's to compare. I've never had to check my knives because I've always bought from a reputable source (like Knife Center)... I would assume they would check, but never hurts to do so myself.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

captnvegtble wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:54 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Good point. Yes, I have 3 other PM2's to compare. I've never had to check my knives because I've always bought from a reputable source (like Knife Center)... I would assume they would check, but never hurts to do so myself.
I would email or message them on FB I think a lot of retailers don't sell returned knives as new but never hurts to ask
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Very weird since it was released last summer and was an instant sell out. Regardless, I think you're pretty lucky!

-Rick
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Well, I got my Paramilitary 2 Rex 45 sprint run in the mail today. Everything looks spot-on. Blade centering is great, smooth action. I inspected and compared it to my other PM2's and everything looks consistent... bug logo on blade and pocket clip is the same; other logos are the same. Jimping is consistent. G-10 stainless steel liner machine markings are the same. Blade appears to be well oiled as if from the factory. Looks like a genuine Spyderco. I'm actually very pleasantly surprised. I wonder if they just found some extra stock lying around. I e-mailed them to ask just because I'm quite curious.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Good for you!! That's awesome. I was pulling for you, though skeptical. That's crazy luck right there! You must have had a notification set up and you happened to be the lucky guy.

-Rick
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Thanks! This has been the only Sprint Run in recent memory I've ever wanted from Spyderco that I've missed out on, so I consider myself very fortunate. Knife Center's reply when I asked was that "When we were doing our inventory, we found one on the shelf." Lucky, lucky!

Actually... I didn't have any notification set up. I went to Knife Center because someone posted here that they had a Para 3 Rex 45 in stock (which I didn't want), but I checked their PM2 Rex 45 and it said "in-stock". So I guess, thanks for koenigsegg for tipping me off!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

captnvegtble wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:20 pm
Thanks! This has been the only Sprint Run in recent memory I've ever wanted from Spyderco that I've missed out on, so I consider myself very fortunate. Knife Center's reply when I asked was that "When we were doing our inventory, we found one on the shelf." Lucky, lucky!

Actually... I didn't have any notification set up. I went to Knife Center because someone posted here that they had a Para 3 Rex 45 in stock (which I didn't want), but I checked their PM2 Rex 45 and it said "in-stock". So I guess, thanks for koenigsegg for tipping me off!
That's awesome. It was so random that I found the PM3 was avilable but didn't think to look for a PM2 just wanted to post here so someone could nab it, though I really wanted to I couldn't. I guess I just passed it along since the Rex45 PM2 I got was also the only one the place had.

"You lucky dog! You did secure the knife and it was the only one available. It will ship today and you will receive tracking at that time.

Thank you
Knives Plus
Danner"
IMAG09511.jpg
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

My experience with rex 45 has been a wonderful one. it has a respectable amount of toughness and amazing edge retention. did a one month edge holding study and the edge held hair whittling sharpness the entire month only getting touched with the strop once a week. here's a link discussing the one month result as well as my experience sharpening rex 45 with sharpmaker rods.

https://youtu.be/3KdKw0KjMW4

in the vid, you may hear me talk about it not being as sharp as with my usual abrasion progression, but make no mistake, sharpmaker rods still give a amazing edge ( with the help of the diamond rods, in my experience).
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube