Your personal size categories?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Your personal size categories?

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 am
The Deacon wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:29 am

The ones I carry in my back pocket get broken down into two sizes. The ones, like the Stretch, that I carry most days are "large". The ones, like the Chaparral, that I carry when going into Greenville with it's 3" blade limit are "medium".
OT, but being European and out of interest may I ask quickly: So in the US knife-laws are not consistent (if that´s the word?) over a certain state, but can change from city to city ?! Or from outside to inside the city limits?!
Usually the biggest couple of cities in any given state have stricter laws than the rest of the state. A lot of major cities have 2.5" limits, while the rest of the state is 4" or no limit.

Either way, you'd have to try really hard to ever get a charge for carrying too big of a knife. Millions of folks do it daily in the USA. I basically ignore blade length laws because everyone else does, including cops.

In all my interactions with police, the issue has never come up. I have no idea what one would have to do to make them interested in measuring your blade and charging you. I've EDC'd my Police while working in a city with a 2.5" limit and no one batted an eye.
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:43 am
For me personally I can say:

- Regular: Stretch 1, PM 2, Shaman, (Endura 4): That size/ bladelength is what I want to have with me on a regular day and find most usefull for the tasks I encounter; Endura 4 maybe already a little too long in the pocket
- Large: Military. I like it, but almost never need a folder that big
- TOO large: Police probably; Tatanka for sure ;)
- Small: Delica, Native 5: To little cutting edge for my needs usually, only carry those when I want explicetly something smaller and I know that just occasional cutting will occur on that day
- X-small: Chaparral: A size that is very usefull (to be honest MORE usefull than the "small"-categorie"), but just in certain situations: IWB, unclipped in pocket and so on
- TOO small: Dragonfly, Ladybug and so on. Carrying a knife as small as the Chap NEVER bothers me, so why go even smaller and loose cutting edge?
I could live with this breakdown, with the following modifications.

“TOO large”—just the Tatanka. What was I thinking!? Still, I possess one hunk of multifaceted VG10. My Police4 carries smaller than my Millies, so I see it as a large knife. My tolerance for large knive has grown over the years.

“TOO small—not a category I recognize. My super-small Ladybugs and Manbug are effectively made bigger with fobs.

My going-to-Boston carry (2.5 inch limit) is my Techno.

My going-to-Canada carry is my slip-it Urbans/UKPKs, or my production (therefore replaceable) S30V PM2. The latter might get confiscated at the border; the former won’t.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The pm2 is the smallest spydie I own, and I'll soon be swapping my pm2's for other models. So obviously I like larger blades, but what I consider large or XL isn't much different from the norm. The only real difference is where I draw the line of "too large".

While some may view the pm2 or a Shaman as "freaking yuge" (Shabazz, lol), I see them as relatively normal length. I'd say maybe a 3.5 to 4.0 inch blade is Large, 4.0-5.0 is XL, and above 5 is "freaking yuge". I could certainly carry a Tatanka with no issues, despite me viewing it as a very large knife.

I also like bigger, thicker handles. Not monstrously thick, but a happy medium between filling my grip comfortably (something a Shaman does 100x better than a pm2, without being really larger) and not being such a big lump in my pocket. I don't need a knife to disappear in the pocket. I just don't need it to be so thick that it's a nuisance. Thicker, smoother handles yield less hotspots and less strain on my wrist during heavier cuts.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
OT, but being European and out of interest may I ask quickly: So in the US knife-laws are not consistent (if that´s the word?) over a certain state, but can change from city to city ?! Or from outside to inside the city limits?!
Yes. But that's also true in Europe. When you move from one EU state to another (Denmark to Italy, for example), the rules change dramatically. The same is also true within cities of a certain state (Paris to rural Normandy, as another example).
You are right, but technically/ politically crossing from one EU state to another is the same as going from the US to Canada or Mexico. The EU is really not (yet) like the US, the EU "president" for example has not the powers of the US one by any means. But you'll probably know that anyway.

The difference between for example Paris and the rural sorroundings is new to me, thanks for the insight!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

The ones I carry in my back pocket get broken down into two sizes. The ones, like the Stretch, that I carry most days are "large". The ones, like the Chaparral, that I carry when going into Greenville with it's 3" blade limit are "medium".
Usually the biggest couple of cities in any given state have stricter laws than the rest of the state. A lot of major cities have 2.5" limits, while the rest of the state is 4" or no limit.

Either way, you'd have to try really hard to ever get a charge for carrying too big of a knife. Millions of folks do it daily in the USA. I basically ignore blade length laws because everyone else does, including cops.

In all my interactions with police, the issue has never come up. I have no idea what one would have to do to make them interested in measuring your blade and charging you. I've EDC'd my Police while working in a city with a 2.5" limit and no one batted an eye.
Did you happen to read THIS? :
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =5&t=82636
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

I think any knife looks so small in your hand that the police get fooled, lol.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:16 am
You are right, but technically/ politically crossing from one EU state to another is the same as going from the US to Canada or Mexico.
Yes, but practically it's not.

The issue is that a real "border crossing" puts the traveller on notice that they are in a new jurisdiction, with new rules. When you cross the state line from Indiana to Illinois, there is no such "notice". The same is true when you cross the New York city limit (for example). But that's equally true when you cross the border from Italy into France (for example). In that sense, the border between Italy and Switzerland feels "real" and gives you mental notice of a jurisdiction change, where the border between Italy and France does not.

In a practical sense, the problem is that a traveller carrying a knife into a restrictive jurisdiction is often not "put on notice" that they have entered a new jurisdiction, where new rules may apply (and where they may get into trouble with a blade that was legal in the last jurisdiction).

I was honestly shocked, for example, when I flew from Catania to Rome and discovered that flights within Italy allow pocket knives in the passenger cabin. They actually have a sign at the AlItalia counter with pictures and measurements of allowable knives (the Roadie is allowed, if anyone is wondering, and so is the Urban). It would be very easy for an American traveller to get into trouble by not realizing that the rules on a flight from Catania to Rome are different from the rules on a flight from Rome to Copenhagen.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

Absolutely. You have Federal law, which regulates automatics and balisongs ane what's legal to carry on Federal property. Then each state has the ability to have their own laws regulating what's legal to own and legal to carry. Then, unless the state has a "preemption" law saying counties and cities cannot have their own regulations, there can be county and city ordinances regulating knife carry. As a general rule, violations of county and city ordinances are just "offenses", kind of like a parking ticket, and not "crimes" that go on your record. However, there are exceptions to that, New York City's being the most egregious.

South Carolina knife doesn't have any state laws regulating carry, aside from one saying you can't carry a knife with a blade over 2" on school property. Greenville county does not regulate knives at all and neither do any other SC counties. However, the city of Greenville has a 3" blade limit on locking folders and several other SC cities have similar laws. Like most knife laws, they're generally used against folks who've been caught breaking one or more other, more serious, laws and folks who think it's their right to be rude to the traffic cop who pulled them over.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I have found that for me there is no normal folder that is too big( although some companies are pushing it way beyond sanity, you know who i'm reffering to :)). i have carried the military for a while now and it does'nt feel big to me.
So i guess for me, stretch, military is in my normal carry range.
The manbug and dogtag is minute, my vrango, dragonfly and rhino, small but very capable.
Delica, calypso jr., ukpk, chaparral and native,Small+.
Pm2, manix, tenacious, polestar, shaman,clipitool and domino, Medium.
Military, stretch, goddard, spyderhawk and pacific salt, big (by no means to big)..
I don't own a Police yet, but i think for me it would fall into the big but not to big category.
:)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

Absolutely. You have Federal law, which regulates automatics and balisongs ane what's legal to carry on Federal property. Then each state has the ability to have their own laws regulating what's legal to own and legal to carry. Then, unless the state has a "preemption" law saying counties and cities cannot have their own regulations, there can be county and city ordinances regulating knife carry. As a general rule, violations of county and city ordinances are just "offenses", kind of like a parking ticket, and not "crimes" that go on your record. However, there are exceptions to that, New York City's being the most egregious.

South Carolina knife doesn't have any state laws regulating carry, aside from one saying you can't carry a knife with a blade over 2" on school property. Greenville county does not regulate knives at all and neither do any other SC counties. However, the city of Greenville has a 3" blade limit on locking folders and several other SC cities have similar laws. Like most knife laws, they're generally used against folks who've been caught breaking one or more other, more serious, laws and folks who think it's their right to be rude to the traffic cop who pulled them over.
Thanks for taking the time and the detailled reply! Very interesting, and sounds like there are areas in the US where you really have to be aware of if you are for example inside or outside certain city limits. I´ll stop it here, since it is very off topic, but maybe I´ll start a designated thread (or search for an existing one) since I think it is an interesting discussion.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:02 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:16 am
You are right, but technically/ politically crossing from one EU state to another is the same as going from the US to Canada or Mexico.
Yes, but practically it's not.

The issue is that a real "border crossing" puts the traveller on notice that they are in a new jurisdiction, with new rules. When you cross the state line from Indiana to Illinois, there is no such "notice". The same is true when you cross the New York city limit (for example). But that's equally true when you cross the border from Italy into France (for example). In that sense, the border between Italy and Switzerland feels "real" and gives you mental notice of a jurisdiction change, where the border between Italy and France does not.

In a practical sense, the problem is that a traveller carrying a knife into a restrictive jurisdiction is often not "put on notice" that they have entered a new jurisdiction, where new rules may apply (and where they may get into trouble with a blade that was legal in the last jurisdiction).

I was honestly shocked, for example, when I flew from Catania to Rome and discovered that flights within Italy allow pocket knives in the passenger cabin. They actually have a sign at the AlItalia counter with pictures and measurements of allowable knives (the Roadie is allowed, if anyone is wondering, and so is the Urban). It would be very easy for an American traveller to get into trouble by not realizing that the rules on a flight from Catania to Rome are different from the rules on a flight from Rome to Copenhagen.
You are right again. Since the EU was established, most borders between states are not easy to be aware of anymore. So a foreign traveller could easily cross a border without noticing it. "Older" locals (like myself, I´ll turn 50 in October) not so much. We are very aware of the borders that existed for a long time, and still when I was an adult, also culture and even language can change abruptely when you cross a border.
I´ll leave it here, since it is not the topic of this thread. But thanks a lot for the interesting discussion and the insight!
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I use other brands that may better fit into some of these categories, but among Spyderco mine are:

Teeny-weenie: Dragonfly, Rookie (They sit at my office desk where they get used, but I don't carry much)
Small: Caly 3.0, Native (carried if have to abide by city restrictions)
Regular: PM2, Advocate,Caly 3.5 (my preferred size for EDC)
Medium-Large: GB2, Endura, Pacific Salt
Large: Military
Last edited by Mako109 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I do not think there is really a different law for Paris and rural area.

A friend had to leave behind his victorinox classic (4cm) on an airport (6cm leagally allowed). At the end its always up to the law enforcer.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Small: Chaparral, Lil’ Native, Rhino
Medium: Para Military 2, Para 3, Native
Large: Manix, Military.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:21 am
Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

I did. The issue wasn't blade length. The issue was carrying a knife clipped to the pocket visibly in an area where that is against the law.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:59 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:21 am
Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I did. The issue wasn't blade length. The issue was carrying a knife clipped to the pocket visibly in an area where that is against the law.
I see!! Thanks
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For the knives I own...

Small - Chaparral LW
Medium - Delica, Para 3, Salt 2
Large - PM2, GB2, Manix 2, Endura
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Of the knives I own:

Tiny = Manbug
Small to medium = Calypso Jr., Native 5, Pacific Salt
Large = Military, Police 4
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I don't really have size categories, more of ergonomic categories.

Of those categories, there are two. Fits and doesn't fit.

There are tiny knives like the Baby Horn that fit like a glove and much larger knives that don't even come close to fitting, like the Slysz Bowie.

There are larger knives that feel tailor made to my hand, like the Caribbean and miniscule knives like the Rhino, that feel like they were made for a toddler's hand when I hold them.

Kiwi? Perfect!
Kopa? Not even close!

It's a puzzle really.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
anycal

Post by anycal »

For me, there are three categories - small, medium, and large. Although there is a lot of crossover, these are their general uses, and the models I am currently in possesion of in each category,

Small - office, social gatherings, travel
- UKPK
- Caly 3
- Chaparral
- Native 5
- Delica 4
- Para 3
- Mantra

Medium - all purpose, for any occasion
- PM2
- Manix 2

Large - outdoors