Your personal size categories?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: Your personal size categories?

Postby Tucson Tom » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:51 pm

PM2 is perfect, "normal" size to me. Manix is the same category, just "beefier".

Native 5 is small, anything smaller is pointless -- I'll just use my teeth

Military is fine, and honestly the Police seems no bigger than the Mili, and is slimmer.

Beyond that, we are talking fixed blades and machetes and such.

Mattysc42

Postby Mattysc42 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Nate wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:47 am
I've always categorized by blade length:

XS: sub 2.5"
S: 2.5"-3"
M: 3"-3.5"
L: 3.5"-4"
XL: 4"+

For fixed blades this is completely skewed and in my collection 7-8" blade lengths are considered "medium." :D
This is exactly how I categorize size except I consider 5-7” medium for fixed blades. :p
Everyone is crazy in their own special ways. Good thing too! The world wouldn’t be nearly as interesting otherwise. ;)

Top 5 knives I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM M4.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), serrated LC200N.

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:37 am

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:43 am
For me personally I can say:

- Regular: Stretch 1, PM 2, Shaman, (Endura 4): That size/ bladelength is what I want to have with me on a regular day and find most usefull for the tasks I encounter; Endura 4 maybe already a little too long in the pocket
- Large: Military. I like it, but almost never need a folder that big
- TOO large: Police probably; Tatanka for sure ;)
- Small: Delica, Native 5: To little cutting edge for my needs usually, only carry those when I want explicetly something smaller and I know that just occasional cutting will occur on that day
- X-small: Chaparral: A size that is very usefull (to be honest MORE usefull than the "small"-categorie"), but just in certain situations: IWB, unclipped in pocket and so on
- TOO small: Dragonfly, Ladybug and so on. Carrying a knife as small as the Chap NEVER bothers me, so why go even smaller and loose cutting edge?
I could live with this breakdown, with the following modifications.

“TOO large”—just the Tatanka. What was I thinking!? Still, I possess one hunk of multifaceted VG10. My Police4 carries smaller than my Millies, so I see it as a large knife. My tolerance for large knive has grown over the years.

“TOO small—not a category I recognize. My super-small Ladybugs and Manbug are effectively made bigger with fobs.

My going-to-Boston carry (2.5 inch limit) is my Techno.

My going-to-Canada carry is my slip-it Urbans/UKPKs, or my production (therefore replaceable) S30V PM2. The latter might get confiscated at the border; the former won’t.
Thanks for sharing your categories!

I have to admit: Never owned a Police (that´s why I wrote "to large PROBABLY"), just figured it would be even longer in pocket than the Millie (which I own, and for me is a tad too long in pocket when wearing Jeans and riding a bike or somethinhg like that).

TOO small: Right, you can make those tiny folders longer in handle with fobs. But just for me personally the Chap ilterally NEVER feels to large in carry, so why should I (again, just personally, to each his own!) carry a knife with less actual edge? Only reason could be for even less weight, but the Chap never felt too heavy for me (though it feels "heavy" in a positive, solid way when you have it in hands in relation to it´s size)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Ookami

Postby Ookami » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:34 am

My size categories differ a bit.

Backpocket: Military, Police etc
Frontpocket: Delica, Native etc

Ookami

rabbitanarchy14

Postby rabbitanarchy14 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:10 am

XS: sub 2.2" too small for me

S: 2.3"-2.8" Great size for public Perfect lil native, chap, cat, crow 2
M: 2.8"-3.1 great size for work Perfect Para 3, sage 5, sage 1, native

L: 3.1"-3.5" too large . pm2, mantra 3, manix 2
XL: 4"+ ridiculously over sized
In-Possession - Para 3 S35VN, Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native S30V BL, Manix 2 M390 BR, MKM Voxnaes Isonzo N690Co, Benchmade 555HGBlu, Ontario Rat 2 Gr G10
On-Deck - Manix 2 Cruwear, Sage 5, Brouwer, Cat BD1N, Lil Native compression 20CV/M390
Loved Steels - Cruwear, M390 Family, S35VN, BD1N, XHP, S30V, N690Co

embry386

Postby embry386 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:19 am

Small: Native, Delica. Don't carry the Natives much anymore, looking to buy a Delica to keep in the garage as a box cutter. Not knives I prefer to EDC, but awesome for some tasks.

Too small: anything smaller than the Native and Delica

Medium: Rescue (old lightweight version without liners), Endura 3. Preferred EDC size. The Endura 4 falls somewhere between this category and the next size up because it is heavier, and weight affects my feelings about a knife's size category as much as length does.

Big: Probably the Police, which I have not been able to try yet but would love to.

Too big: I forgot the names of these models -- they're ones that I only handled for a few seconds at a store. They all were very long and much heavier than I like, with thick bladestock and non-FRN handles. Would feel like carrying a brick around in my pocket.

Naperville

Postby Naperville » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:49 pm

FOLDER:
XS: sub 2.0" blade
S: 2.5" + blade
M: 3.0" + blade
L: 4.0" + blade
I don't like/buy folders with blades over 5", I'd buy a fixed blade in almost all cases over a 4" blade.

FIXED:
XS: sub 2.0" blade
S: 2.5" + blade
M: 4.0" + blade
L: 5.5" + blade
Machete and Short Sword: 12" to 28"
Sword: 28" +
Spyderco Collection: Military (S110V), Bob Lum Darn Dao(CPM-154), Yojimbo 2 (1 in S30V & 2 in 20CV), Sustain(20CV), Native 5(Maxamet), Jumpmaster 2(H1), Province(4V). SHORT LIST: CF Shaman(S90V), Lum Tanto, Native Chief(?), Street Beat (AEB-L, NioMax or Nitro-V at 63HRC).

bdblue

Postby bdblue » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:07 pm

I can't remember if I've responded to this thread yet-
My preferences for folders are PM2 and Manix 2 on the short end, Military and Manix 2 XL on the big end. I rotate through all of these for EDC duty to my office.

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”