Vivi gives the Delica another shot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Vivi gives the Delica another shot

Post by vivi »

20 years ago my EDC rotation consisted of some Swiss Army Knives and a Buck 110.

I went on a search for my first high quality modern folder, and the #1 recommendation was a Spyderco Delica 4.

The Delica I purchased was a PE saber ground VG10 model in black. This was before the FFG model was on the market.

I carried it for about two months and didn't care for it.

I remember having two issues with my first Spyderco. The handle wasn't very comfortable for my grip, and the cutting performance was worse than my Swiss Army knives. I was surprised, because I thought spending so much on a knife I'd have a tool that clearly surpassed my cheaper pocket knives.

I sold that Delica and never looked back. I wrote off the model without a second thought.

Recently I managed to trade for a Delica that might be the one I sold. Black saber ground VG10 PE, with a little clip wear, some scratches on the blade and in need of a competent sharpening job.

This thread will serve to document revisiting my first Spyderco model, nearly two decades later. I plan to carry this Delica for at least a week, intending to keep an open mind and further my understanding of the model.
:unicorn
vivi

Re: Vivi gives the Delica another shot

Post by vivi »

My (second) first impression of the Delica 4 was almost completely positive.

I feel like the knife is a good size for an EDC. Just large enough to offer a full grip, and enough blade to practically handle typical day to day knife work. While I prefer larger knives, I can understand the appeal of one sized like the Delica.

In the pocket I find it very slim and out of the way compared to some knives I'm used to. I generally EDC a Pacific Salt, Manix XL or Police 4, and all of those are much bulkier in my pocket. I generally carry them clipped to a cell phone pocket on the side of my pant leg, which makes it easier to grab my phone out of my right front pocket. The Delica is so compact clipped to my right front pocket that it really doesn't get in the way of pulling out my phone.

While I find it very compact, I was a bit surprised at the weight. It's heavier than I remember. Certainly not too heavy for an EDC, it's still very light, but I can't help but notice my larger Pacific Salt is lighter.

I was pleased to note cutting performance is higher than I recalled. My first few days with the knife I cut up some cardboard boxes and plastic jugs for recycling, cut up some apples and sliced some salami and cheese. While the saber grind version will lag behind the FFG in this respect, I think the thin blade stock keeps cutting efficiency pretty high. I'm sure if I reprofile the edge the way I generally do my knives, the slicing performance will be very good.

Looking back, when I bought my first Delica, the only sharpening tool I had was a cheap grooved steel rod from a kitchen knife set. I remember trying to sharpen my Delica and making it duller. With this Delica I used my sharpmaker at 20 DPS using the brown rods and got it sharp enough to scrape off arm hairs in about 2 minutes. Having a keener apex is certainly giving me a more favorable impression of the knife.

I remembered the tip being thicker than it is. It's not as rounded off as the Pacific Salt. In fact the rounding is subtle enough I doubt I'll ever flatten it out like I do to Pacific Salts before I pocket them.

One thing that is interesting to me is how long the lock release bar is. It's longer than a Pacific Salt. I feel like one handed unlocking would be a bit more comfortable if it were shortened, like the length of the lock release on my Tasman Salt 1.

The ergonomics are a little better than I remember. I find the Delica very comfortable in hammer grip. It feels very natural to use in this grip. The curved top half of the handle is very comfortable as it pushes into my palm during heavy cutting tasks. The finger grooves lock my hand into place, placing the blade at a slight negative angle. The handle shape gives me good grip security during draw cuts, and there is enough of a forward guard that I don't feel unsafe while stabbing materials to initiate cuts.

With cutting performance better than I remember, and full flat ground runs of the Delica improving the geometry considerably, that leaves me with only one hang-up with the Delica 4 model. The thumb ramp placement.

Something I've come to understand about how my hand interacts with knives ergonomically, is I generally need about 1" between the tip of my thumb and my index finger for a handle to work for me. A lot of Spydercos fail my grip due to the prominent thumb ramp and small handle. I've got two photos that will illustrate:

This is where my thumb wants to go. That's what feels comfortable for my grip.

This is where the Delica 4's ergonomics forces my thumb.

I've tried adjusting my grip in different ways. Shifting my thumb around. Scooting the knife forward in my grip. Tilting it down more. Sliding my fingers are far back as the grooves allow. No matter what I do with my grip, that thumb ramp just feels terrible for my XL-XXL hands.

For comparison, here is my favorite Spyderco folder. Note the distance between my thumb and index finger.

One thing that the Delica 4 has impressed upon me, is that it is a design that needs to be used to be understood. The first time I bought one, I didn't feel like it was "a lot of knife for the money." Back then one could easily find stouter, flashier knives for half the price - just like you can today.

Some of the features might even seem quaint, especially in 2019, but after carrying and using the knife you can understand why it was made the way it was. Lockbacks might seem old fashioned, but they do their job of keeping the knife open or closed securely, reliably. Opening holes might not be as cool as flippers, but they operate with less fuss and a higher success rate. The handles might feel "cheap" and "plastic," but that plastic handle cuts down on weight. The Delica is meant to be a workhorse, and it shows.
Last edited by vivi on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

This spot reserved for a video review.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

This is very interesting coming from you Vivi. I will be following this thread closely. As always thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and impressions!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I found the handle uncomfortable for my hand as well. The finger grooves are in the wrong spot. When I got my custom scales, I removed one and slightly adjusted the others. It’s great now!
5D82E992-0C2A-4B87-8B55-2D0B59B29EC6.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Looking forward to your revisit. The Delica and I didn't get along at first either, and I sold my first one. However, I decided to buy a second one as part of an order I was shipping to my brother for a hiking trip, and forced myself to carry and use it exclusively for the week long trip... My hand finally figured out the defining grooves of the Delica and I thoroughly enjoyed using the small but incredibly effective blade (FFG).

Funny part was that unknown to me, an OG Delica he bought brand new was still my brothers hiking carry.

vivi

Post by vivi »

That's a gorgeous shot, abbazaba.
spyderg wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:59 pm
I found the handle uncomfortable for my hand as well. The finger grooves are in the wrong spot. When I got my custom scales, I removed one and slightly adjusted the others. It’s great now! 5D82E992-0C2A-4B87-8B55-2D0B59B29EC6.jpeg
I did a similar mod to the handle of my Tasman Salt 1 and it improved the ergonomics for me. May do that to this Delica later on.

For now I'm carrying it stock...no thinning out the edge or making the tip pointy like a Delica 3. I want to give my first Spyderco another shot aa it comes from the factory.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

The Delica didn’t work for me until I got the byrd hawkbill. It taught my hand how good the ergonomics of Delica. Strange but true, never own one but my friend has some. Surprised to find now they work for me.

Still like Endura & Stretch more, but I cannot say Deica doesn’t work. ;)
Chris :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Delica (combo edge, thus sabre grind of course) was my first Spyderco too; still have it and like it, though I feel the edge is a bit too short in relation to the overall length for my needs. Nowadays I only carry mine when rock climbing, clipped to my harness with a carabiner through the hole, but in that scenario I really love the knife.

A "maximum edge length edition" as mentioned in my thread "ideas for sprint runs..." //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=82904
could easily become one of my absolute favorite Spydies.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

That sabre grind really speaks to me. I have a couple of ffg delicas and they are Great, but i really like those scandi looking grinds.
You should check out the goddard vivi, no protruding hump and big enough handle for your big hands m8 :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

My experience with the Delica is similar, except with me it was the Delica 3 (ATS-55). It just didn't feel comfortable in my hand (I wear a size medium glove which fits across the palm while the fingers are usually too long). So, into a drawer it went and I forgot about it for years.

One day, I was looking for a lightweight knife to throw into the pocket of my shorts, so I took the clip off and gave the Delica another try. I've come to appreciate what a great job Spyderco did with the hollow grind on the Delica 3 and how sharp an edge I can get on this knife.

Needless to say, I also like my Salt 1, which uses the same, linerless FRN handle and barrel bolt clip (which has been removed and replaced with a fob).
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:09 am
That's a gorgeous shot, abbazaba.
spyderg wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:59 pm
I found the handle uncomfortable for my hand as well. The finger grooves are in the wrong spot. When I got my custom scales, I removed one and slightly adjusted the others. It’s great now! 5D82E992-0C2A-4B87-8B55-2D0B59B29EC6.jpeg
I did a similar mod to the handle of my Tasman Salt 1 and it improved the ergonomics for me. May do that to this Delica later on.

For now I'm carrying it stock...no thinning out the edge or making the tip pointy like a Delica 3. I want to give my first Spyderco another shot aa it comes from the factory.
My first Delica was a saber ground D4 in 2007. A great knife but not so good at cutting corrugated cardboard. What made a huge improvement in that regard was rounding the top of the saber grind where it meets the full thickness blade stock. When this transition was angular it hung up big time in corrugated. After rounding, it sails through cardboard with ease, though not as easily as a FFG Delica does.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I did not like the older versions of the Delica, but even with my large hands I find the D4 to be very comfortable for a small knife. It is one of my top 3 favorite pocket knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The saber ground Delicas don’t appeal much. Prefer the warnie, ffg or even the lil matriarch.
If this doesn’t go well for you, consider some of the other options. But other knives in this size range are probably better for your big mitts.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Glad you're liking your revisit of the delica so far :D I'll let you know how my first week with the Police 4 goes.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm kind of worried about Vivi. He's referring to himself in the 3rd person. :eek: :D :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've always like the Delica and Endura both but Spyderco has so many that I just like better anymore and there are at least a half a dozen models that are better suited for my needs. Now don't get me wrong because if I were to get either one of them in Spyderedge for a hard user for a really super low price like I have in the past I would jump on one in a hurry. But they are not my first selection out of Spyderco's great line up.

Also either model in a newer supersteel always gets my attention. I really enjoyed my ZDP-189 Delica when I had it. And the Endura in SE is a great model for outdoor and landscaping chores. And again I do like both models in SE.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I'm giving the delica its final shot with the st nicks exclusive. If that can't do it for me no delica ever will.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

Did you get the deal with the lil Native? I am curious how the lil Native fit your hands?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Colorodo wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:08 am
Did you get the deal with the lil Native?
Nope, I had someone offer this along with another knife to balance out a trade.
I am curious how the lil Native fit your hands?
It doesn't. I tried one at a store and my reaction was "why?" :p

I had to mod my Native 1 to be able to get a good grip behind the index choil, and even then it was too cramped. I don't see the appeal of shrinking an already small design(insert minimini manix joke here), but the Native Chief has my attention! I'd try a Shaman too if it were a backlock / cbbl.