I Have a Hankering for a G10 Scales Native 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: I Have a Hankering for a G10 Scales Native 5

Post by archangel »

Are the two versions S35vn G10 with and without steel liners different in their PN? If so, what's the right PN to look for when you want a version with steel liners?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:30 am
Just got the linerless, and it’s fantastic. Love the weight, compared to the lingered tank. Both are nice, but this is real nice.
I'll have to hand it to you, you were right, the liner-less model is solid. I was going to send mine back when I realized it did not match the description but I really do like it. And I am happy I got the S35VN steel; although I doubt I could tell the difference day-to-day between that and S30V.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

archangel wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:19 am
Are the two versions S35vn G10 with and without steel liners different in their PN? If so, what's the right PN to look for when you want a version with steel liners?
It's worse than that; the liner-less model could be S35VN or S30V.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks to you guys I have #27 incoming..... Dealer checked their stock and sent me a pic as evidence that it's the s35vn linered version. :rolleyes:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
fixall

Post by fixall »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:17 am
fixall wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:51 am
Probably not the place to ask...

But is there any way to get a hold of the steel liners from a Native 5 without buying one?

My dream Native 5 (which WILL happen) has steel liners, burlap micarta scales, and a a tough, premium blade steel.

I'd hate to have to spend $150 on steel lined Native 5 just to scavenge the liners, spend another ~$100 on the scales, and then spend another $150 on a Sprint/Exclusive to get a Native 5 with a tough, premium steel.

*edit
I guess I might as well open a thread about this to ask.
Buy the Native that has the liners and steel that you like and send it to cuscade.de to get some scales.
Unfortunately that involves spending $150 or so on a g10 Native 5 with liners. Another $150+ on a Native 5 in a good, tough steel. And then another $80 or so to have a set of burlap scales made.

I just feel like there should be a better way to have this knife made then to spend $380+.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Not sure what the later linered ones looked like, but the finish on my blade is satin, and I didn't like the grind lines on it - kind of uneven, so I stonewashed it. Mine was from when the Native 5 first came out. The linerless one I got is beautifully bead blasted. Looks freakin' great. Sounds lame, but if my older one looked like that, I'd carry it more, but when I want a rock solid tank of a small knife in my pocked, it's what I grab though. I like them all.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

fixall wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:02 am
Doc Dan wrote:
fixall wrote:

But is there any way to get a hold of the steel liners from a Native 5 without buying one?

My dream Native 5 (which WILL happen) has steel liners, burlap micarta scales, and a a tough, premium blade steel.

I'd hate to have to spend $150 on steel lined Native 5 just to scavenge the liners, spend another ~$100 on the scales, and then spend another $150 on a Sprint/Exclusive to get a Native 5 with a tough, premium steel.

*edit
Buy the Native that has the liners and steel that you like and send it to cuscade.de to get some scales.
Unfortunately that involves spending $150 or so on a g10 Native 5 with liners. Another $150+ on a Native 5 in a good, tough steel. And then another $80 or so to have a set of burlap scales made.

I just feel like there should be a better way to have this knife made then to spend $380+.
I'm not sure where your math comes from. You can buy an S110V Native for around $150, then the scales would be $80 to $100 or so from a maker on Bladeforums or on this forum, or from Luke at cuscade. Maxamet might be a problem, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
fixall

Post by fixall »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:04 am
fixall wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:02 am
Doc Dan wrote:
fixall wrote:

*edit

I'm not sure where your math comes from. You can buy an S110V Native for around $150, then the scales would be $80 to $100 or so from a maker on Bladeforums or on this forum, or from Luke at cuscade. Maxamet might be a problem, though.
S110V is on the wrong end of the spectrum. It's a bit too brittle. I'm looking for toughness, rather than edge retention.

So far, the M4 Native (which is linerless) is the only Native 5 in a steel on the higher end of the toughness spectrum.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Spyderco got back to me and said they can't sell me a Native 5 liner.

Looks like I'll have to spend nearly $400 to get a Burlap micarta Native 5 with M4. That just seems silly.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

fixall wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Looks like I'll have to spend nearly $400 to get a Burlap micarta Native 5 with M4. That just seems silly.
It is silly. But if that's what YOU have to have, then how else are you going to get it?

I don't feel bad for you.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
fixall

Post by fixall »

David Lowry wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 pm
fixall wrote:

It is silly. But if that's what YOU have to have, then how else are you going to get it?

Don’t get me wrong... I’m not upset or anything. You have to pay to play after all. I was just hoping for a less wasteful way.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I have been carrying this new native 5 and I REALLy like it; even without the liners. Go buy!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

fixall wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:26 pm
David Lowry wrote:
fixall wrote:

Don’t get me wrong... I’m not upset or anything. You have to pay to play after all. I was just hoping for a less wasteful way.

Ahh ok. All good homie. LOL. I know, believe me. I have an M4 Native 5 with G10 and full SS liners because I wanted to have it. I know what it's like. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
fixall

Post by fixall »

David Lowry wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:45 pm
fixall wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:26 pm
David Lowry wrote:
fixall wrote:

Ahh ok. All good homie. LOL. I know, believe me. I have an M4 Native 5 with G10 and full SS liners because I wanted to have it. I know what it's like. :)
Sounds like a heck of a knife. :D