custom base for sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: custom base for sharpmaker

Post by ZrowsN1s »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:40 pm
Well here's my quick and dirty 3d printed solution that I cooked up tonight. I think I should have made finer degree markers, I forget the printer can do pretty good at that level of detail. But it will work better than what I've been doing.

I guess for people that need two rods in a V configuration you could make the blocks thicker and offset the triangle hole so that you could clamp them both in a vise at the desired angle(s).

Thats pretty cool :D 3D printers are awesome. I figured the hardest part would be getting the slot right, but you seem to have nailed that. Any way you could make one more like the sharpmaker base, that could hold both stones and sit on a kitchen table without needing any clamps? If I could only have one angle to choose, I'd pick 12dps.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:55 pm
Would that qualify as IP infringement?

I wouldn't want to make and distribute a CAD file without Spyderco's blessing.

I don't think so, David. As long as whoever made it did not put Spyderco's name or logos on it, make it look exactly like the original base, or attempt in any other way to pass it off as a Spyderco product I believe it would fall into the same category as aftermarket scales and clips.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

zhyla wrote:
Well here's my quick and dirty 3d printed solution that I cooked up tonight. I think I should have made finer degree markers, I forget the printer can do pretty good at that level of detail. But it will work better than what I've been doing.

I guess for people that need two rods in a V configuration you could make the blocks thicker and offset the triangle hole so that you could clamp them both in a vise at the desired angle(s).

Excellent work!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:22 pm
spyderg wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 pm
Would it not work to simply make a set of rubber wedges to sit underneath the sharpmaker to change the angle?
That would work for sharpening one side at a time, but it would complicate things for alternating strokes. I prefer alternating, particularly when finishing an edge.

Id rather have a flat base with dedicated slots.
Ok, I typically work one side for say 10 to 20 passes then switch using a Lansky. Then I finish up by hand on the Double Stuff. I haven’t yet tried the Sharpmaker.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

watching this thread with interest - would be a great addition to have extra angles available - also why is there not a taller 'lid' for the SM that could also accomaodate extra rods if you buy the cbn/diamond and UF?
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bigboned wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:02 am
...also why is there not a taller 'lid' for the SM that could also accomaodate extra rods if you buy the cbn/diamond and UF?
Not everyone purchases the extra rods. So why add the extra bulk to the unit? The UF & CBN/diamond come in nice little tubes that you can store them in.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I had a way to make something out of wood I'd give it a shot but aside from chisels I'm not sure how I'd make a triangular hole. I've got some ideas in my head that wouldn't really be hard to make.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:05 pm
If I had a way to make something out of wood I'd give it a shot but aside from chisels I'm not sure how I'd make a triangular hole. I've got some ideas in my head that wouldn't really be hard to make.
When I thought about making it myself (Id rather have a pro do it), I figured I'd take a block of wood and cut it at a 12 degree angle. Then make a V notch to hold the stone, then glue it back together.

Forgive the crude drawings :o you get the idea

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Why not mod the snark maker base? Cut it in half between the slots. Bevel the pieces so you have a gap at the top and afix the halves to a hinge. Use appropriate spacers on the ends to get the desired rod angle.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:20 pm
Why not mod the snark maker base?
Well that’s too good to correct. But I did mean “sharpmaker”.
sal

Post by sal »

We could design a "V" sharpener with adjustable angles. The cost would be high and we don't know if the "afi" market is big enough to warrant the design time and tooling cost.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 pm
We could design a "V" sharpener with adjustable angles. The cost would be high and we don't know if the "afi" market is big enough to warrant the design time and tooling cost.

sal
I cant speak for the others, but I'd buy one :D

I doubt it would have a price tag higher than the other adjustable systems which run in the $250 - $500+ range. And as far as I know there are not any adjustable sharpening systems that can achieve low angles in the 8 - 12 dps range. The KME stops at 17dps and I think Wicked Edge tops out at 13.5 dps. (If I'm not mistaken)

The thing that stops those systems from the lower angles is that they are clamp based systems, and at a certain point, the clamps get in the way. I dont think this would be an issue with an adjustable V sharpener.

If you make an adjustable base that will hold the tri-angle stones and achieve those low angles, it might be more popular than you think. With Chefs, AFIs, even with people who already own a sharpmaker (especially if the stones are interchangeable between the two systems, and they are able to purchase just the base if they want).

I can't be the only one with nice kitchen knives who doesn't have the free hand chops to put a consistently nice edge on them. And I know I'm not the only one who wants to take steels like ZDP189, Hap40, Rex45, K390, M4, 4V, Cruwear, and many others to the higher levels of performance that they are capable of handling.

anagarika

Post by anagarika »

zhyla wrote:

Nice!

I have an idea. Like angle wedges, why not make several base with different angles cut into the base, so the hole is angled (together with the top, doesn’t matter)? It’s simpler and probably stronger, no moving parts and fixtures.
Chris :spyder:
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

anagarika wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:57 pm
I have an idea. Like angle wedges, why not make several base with different angles cut into the base, so the hole is angled (together with the top, doesn’t matter)? It’s simpler and probably stronger, no moving parts and fixtures.
Well these blocks take almost 4 hours to print, so that would take a while. Also I personally like the rods to be precisely aligned to the existing bevel rather than at a set angle, so this works fine for me.

Also the vise puts pressure on the printed part and that actually holds the rod tight in the triangular slot.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 pm
Yeah, I had the idea to 3d print a design where two blocks have pivots and gears so they move in sync with each other, but it was a bit more involved than my quick block-in-vise solution so I didn't attempt.

I'm not sure AFI's are really that into the sharpmaker anyway.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Seeing this for the first time today. It’s something I have pondered over myself.
I really like Zhyla’s solution and that got me thinking would it be possible to do some thing similar for the spyderco profile stones? The ‘hole’ could be + shaped to take advantage of the profiles and the flats. As long as the hole was deep enough the cross could be an interference fit. No need to shape it to the profile.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me it would really help with serrations in particular, because it seems my only option is to use the 40 slots if I want to hit the edge. The 30 slots seem to always hit the shoulder, and over time the 40 slots eventually give you a secondary bevel and then you have to fiddle with changing the angle to get back to a micro bevel. If I could adjust the Sharpmaker so that I hit the bevel more evenly for each different knife I sharpen then I could easily compensate and get around this problem.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The fact that so many kitchen knives now come with ~12° edges is what leads me to believe an alternative system makes sense; for hobbyists doing crazy stuff like we do there are plenty of ways to make a one-off Sharpmaker-style system with chunks of scrap wood. (Not as portable, but just as functional.)

If I could get a Sharpmaker with 17 and 12 DPS options I would recommend it to my friends for kitchen knives over the current system and the new gauntlet. (The current Sharpmaker is a good kitchen sharpener, but kitchen knives are changing.)

For pocket knives the 20DPS slots are a good compromise that works better with some factory angles, which matters for a lot of people. (I think factory angles are far too steep in most pocket knives, but I'm sure other people are justified in leaving them there.)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I modelled and printed a simple mock up of a 12° base last night. I have a little more tweaking to do but I'm on the right track.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:11 am
I modelled and printed a simple mock up of a 12° base last night. I have a little more tweaking to do but I'm on the right track.
A bit of a long overdue update to this thread. Sharp Guy was gracious enough to make me 2 custom bases for the sharpmaker!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: THANK YOU AGAIN! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I now have including the original sharpmaker a 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, and 15 Inclusive angles to choose from. I couldn't be happier with it. Now I can sharpen all of my knives on the sharpmaker. And nothing is too far away from any of those angles so reprofiling is quicker.

Now my only request to Spyderco is more CBN grits for the fancy steels that work best with CBN. And an extra corse for reprofiling :D