custom base for sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: custom base for sharpmaker

Post by Sharp Guy »

Belgian guy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:16 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:42 am
Sorry...no
That's totally understandable. I guess I'll just wait for that adjustable angle Tri-Angle to come out. In the mean time, I might try out the "seesaw method" with one of the safety rods (I found elsewhere that that changes the angle of the rods by 2.5 degrees).
Belgian guy, sorry if I came off a bit short earlier. I was busy at work and decided to take a quick break and peak in on the forum when I saw your question. I didn't have time to write a longer response. I'd like to help you but I don't want to risk putting the STL file out in the world for anyone to make a Sharpmaker style base. Even if it's different angles than what the Sharpmaker comes with, I'd prefer that people buy the real product from Spyderco and I especially don't want someone selling these for their own profit. I appreciate your interest though.

ZrowsN1s started this thread asking for something that wasn't available. One of the other guys posted a small 3D printed block that he made and that planted the seed in my head and stoked my interest in 3D printing which has become a big part of my life in the past year. I spent a lot of time designing this. Getting the slots for the triangle stones just right and figuring out how to make the CAD file so I can easily adjust the angles in the model took considerable time. I learned a lot along the way and I was happy to be able to give Matt what he asked for. I've since made one of these for my own use (even though I already have two Sharpmakers) along with a couple variations that take different stones and diamond hones. The project has run it's course for me and I've now moved on to designing and making different things.

I'll be very interested to see what Spyderco comes up with for the adjustable base. I've had some ideas in my head to make a truly adjustable base along with an adjustable adapter to use with the current base. I've had too many other projects going to really work on them. Knowing that Spyderco's already working on one I figure it's probably best to just let them do their thing.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Belgian guy

Post by Belgian guy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:57 pm
Belgian guy, sorry if I came off a bit short earlier. I was busy at work and decided to take a quick break and peak in on the forum when I saw your question. I didn't have time to write a longer response. I'd like to help you but I don't want to risk putting the STL file out in the world for anyone to make a Sharpmaker style base. Even if it's different angles than what the Sharpmaker comes with, I'd prefer that people buy the real product from Spyderco and I especially don't want someone selling these for their own profit. I appreciate your interest though.

ZrowsN1s started this thread asking for something that wasn't available. One of the other guys posted a small 3D printed block that he made and that planted the seed in my head and stoked my interest in 3D printing which has become a big part of my life in the past year. I spent a lot of time designing this. Getting the slots for the triangle stones just right and figuring out how to make the CAD file so I can easily adjust the angles in the model took considerable time. I learned a lot along the way and I was happy to be able to give Matt what he asked for. I've since made one of these for my own use (even though I already have two Sharpmakers) along with a couple variations that take different stones and diamond hones. The project has run it's course for me and I've now moved on to designing and making different things.

I'll be very interested to see what Spyderco comes up with for the adjustable base. I've had some ideas in my head to make a truly adjustable base along with an adjustable adapter to use with the current base. I've had too many other projects going to really work on them. Knowing that Spyderco's already working on one I figure it's probably best to just let them do their thing.

No problem Sharp Guy, I already assumed that that was the reason. I wouldn't be too eager myself to just send it to some random person on the internet. I thinkt there are already STL files out there for people to print their own Sharpmaker base though, but I'm not interested in those (after all, I already have a Sharpmaker), I'm just looking for a 17.5° and maybe also a 12.5° setting.

I'm not too interested in a fully adjustable system either. What sold me on the Sharpmaker when I bought it some years ago was its simplicity, and I still think that that's its best feature. This is why a base with alternative angles for the rods, like the one you designed, is the best option for me: two additional angles to choose from, but the same ease of use as what brought me to the Sharpmaker in the first place.

I'll wait and see what Spyderco comes out with. Maybe I'll end up buying their adjustable system after all, if that's the only way to get to that 17.5° angle (using my tria-angle rods, I don't want to buy a whole new sharpening system, just a new base).
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:19 am
sal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 pm
We could design a "V" sharpener with adjustable angles. The cost would be high and we don't know if the "afi" market is big enough to warrant the design time and tooling cost.
Yeah, I had the idea to 3d print a design where two blocks have pivots and gears so they move in sync with each other, but it was a bit more involved than my quick block-in-vise solution so I didn't attempt.

I'm not sure AFI's are really that into the sharpmaker anyway.
I’ve thought about a system with gears to synchronize the two rods, but never made a prototype. I’d buy an adjustable SM base from Spyderco for $100, just the base. I can see Sal’s point that the market might be too small to support such a product. Molds are very expensive.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bill,

Ours is gear driven.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Color me interested!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'll take one.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

As with the new Ken Onion/Worksharp jig, I'm not served well by the standard set of options being discussed (5° increments with 15° as the lowest angle) so I'm not holding my breath for any official sharpener that will give me what I'm after in a portable form factor.

If Sal can give me an option that goes as low as 10°, and preferably with CBN/diamond rods in the package, with the same portability as the SM, I'd spend for it.

I haven't measured the angles on my serrated Spyderco knives, but a full back-bevel restoration/re-profile of those is what I'm missing in my current setup. I think it could be lower than 15 on some of them, and I'd love to try making some of the teeth on my Civilian even more acute than that.
—Daniel Jackson
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jackson,

10 degrees inclusive?

While it'snot portable, the Galley V is pretty narrow. I guess you could use the Gauntlet stones to make it easier to travel with. I believe they're about 20 inclusive.

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I thought I would bump this thread, since I was thinking about it last night. My old model Sharpmaker has 40 degree slots only, and I think 30 and 20 would be fantastic.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Im really digging the Galley V stones, I'd like an adjustable base version and a CBN and Extra Fine stone for it. I'm currently using the Gauntlets CBN stone, but I like the longer stones. I like the cats eye curve to the stones and the 4 position eyelet/stone holder on the base too.

The angles I'd use would be 10, 12, 15, 17, 20 degree. 15 and 12 would be the ones I used the most.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 pm
We could design a "V" sharpener with adjustable angles. The cost would be high and we don't know if the "afi" market is big enough to warrant the design time and tooling cost.

sal

I certainly qualify as an afi but I would likely not buy a high cost adjustable V sharpener. A V sharpener isn't as precise as a clamp sharpener. The wrist and hand wobbles a little bit, resulting in wasted strokes and the occasional "too obtuse" error if you accidentally rotate the blade several degrees into the stone. Furthermore the choices of stones are not as robust as, say, for an EdgePro or a Hapstone or a Wicked Edge. I just can't see a freehand rig replacing my Hapstone (an afi sharpener if ever there was one) or other clamped-and-guided system.

I find the existing sharpmaker a joy for fast and light touchups.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189