custom base for sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: custom base for sharpmaker

Post by Woodpuppy »

😳

NICE!!
sal

Post by sal »

We do have a design for an adjustable angle Tri-Angle. I'm testing it now.

sal
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:55 am

sal
Music to my ears.
Justin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:19 am
A bit of a long overdue update to this thread. Sharp Guy was gracious enough to make me 2 custom bases for the sharpmaker!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: THANK YOU AGAIN! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I now have including the original sharpmaker a 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, and 15 Inclusive angles to choose from. I couldn't be happier with it. Now I can sharpen all of my knives on the sharpmaker. And nothing is too far away from any of those angles so reprofiling is quicker.

Now my only request to Spyderco is more CBN grits for the fancy steels that work best with CBN. And an extra corse for reprofiling :D
Glad they're working out for you Matt!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:

sal
Now you tell us. :) While making the bases with custom angles for Matt was fun and great learning experience for me a base with adjustable angles would be cool. Especially if you could adjust each side independently to compensate for the dimensional variations of the rods. That way if the angle is a little off on one side the difference can be adjusted out. It would also be great if you could tighten up the slots a little bit to eliminate some of the side-to-side play.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:18 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Now you tell us. :) While making the bases with custom angles for Matt was fun and great learning experience for me a base with adjustable angles would be cool. Especially if you could adjust each side independently to compensate for the dimensional variations of the rods. That way if the angle is a little off on one side the difference can be adjusted out. It would also be great if you could tighten up the slots a little bit to eliminate some of the side-to-side play.
An adjustable base would be cool. That's awesome that you are working on one Sal, I appreciate it and I'll definitely pick one up when they're ready. This will make a lot of folks happy :D

What's the range you're working with Sal. 40-30 inclusisve, 50-20 inclusive? Somewhere in between?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:02 am
Got the following from some vid on youtube (can´t find it right now):

One thing you can do is attach one of the safeguards or some other round rod to in the middle of the downside of the base with a rubber band or something. So the base rests on the rod and you can "seesaw" it a little, so the angle gets more acute. Hard for me to explain in english, what I mean: when you use the right sharpening rod you tilt the base to the left a bit and vice versa.

Sure you´d have to measure somehow WHAT exact angle that gives you and sure you can achieve the same by tilting the BLADE a bit while using the sharpmaker in a regular setting. But the method described above still allows you to keep the blade perpendicular, which is the whole idea of the Sharpmaker in the end...
Placing a sm rod underneath the center and see-sawing like that creates a 5 dps difference. The 30 degree slot becomes a 20 degree. I’ve often used that for sharpening or setting lower bevels.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:02 am
Got the following from some vid on youtube (can´t find it right now):

One thing you can do is attach one of the safeguards or some other round rod to in the middle of the downside of the base with a rubber band or something. So the base rests on the rod and you can "seesaw" it a little, so the angle gets more acute. Hard for me to explain in english, what I mean: when you use the right sharpening rod you tilt the base to the left a bit and vice versa.

Sure you´d have to measure somehow WHAT exact angle that gives you and sure you can achieve the same by tilting the BLADE a bit while using the sharpmaker in a regular setting. But the method described above still allows you to keep the blade perpendicular, which is the whole idea of the Sharpmaker in the end...
Placing a sm rod underneath the center and see-sawing like that creates a 5 dps difference. The 30 degree slot becomes a 20 degree. I’ve often used that for sharpening or setting lower bevels.
Lance, that´s great to know, really!! Thanks!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:

sal
Maybe to early to talk about, but will there be an option to purchase JUST the base of that adjustable Tri-Angle and use the rods of the "regular" SM with it?? I think MANY would like it that way...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

:eek: News of an adjustable angle sharpener from Spyderco is exciting! I had a Sharpmaker a few years ago but wound up selling it because I couldn't match existing angles like I wanted to. After that, I made a really simple adjustable base that can hold lots of different sharpening stones, including triangle rods. I don't have a very good picture of it at the moment, but here's one from when I thinned out my Endura to 20° inclusive. Just plywood, a door hinge, and a piece of paracord. I use a protractor to find the exact angle.

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

^^^ I like that. A simple solution.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:11 am
I modelled and printed a simple mock up of a 12° base last night. I have a little more tweaking to do but I'm on the right track.
A bit of a long overdue update to this thread. Sharp Guy was gracious enough to make me 2 custom bases for the sharpmaker!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: THANK YOU AGAIN! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I now have including the original sharpmaker a 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, and 15 Inclusive angles to choose from. I couldn't be happier with it. Now I can sharpen all of my knives on the sharpmaker. And nothing is too far away from any of those angles so reprofiling is quicker.

Now my only request to Spyderco is more CBN grits for the fancy steels that work best with CBN. And an extra corse for reprofiling :D
Brilliant! These are the answer, surely.
beo1329

Post by beo1329 »

Hi All,

Any update on the adjustable angle spyderco base?

Thanks
Tamas
Belgian guy

Post by Belgian guy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:12 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Would you be willing send me the files or make them available online? I would love to have a sharpmaker base with a 17.5° per side angle. I can get access to a 3d printer, but I don't have the skills to design the files myself. Thanks!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Belgian guy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:12 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Would you be willing send me the files or make them available online? I would love to have a sharpmaker base with a 17.5° per side angle. I can get access to a 3d printer, but I don't have the skills to design the files myself. Thanks!
Sorry...no
Belgian guy

Post by Belgian guy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:42 am
Sorry...no
That's totally understandable. I guess I'll just wait for that adjustable angle Tri-Angle to come out. In the mean time, I might try out the "seesaw method" with one of the safety rods (I found elsewhere that that changes the angle of the rods by 2.5 degrees).
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sharp Guy,

Very nicely done. I know how hard that is to do. :)

Hi Beo,

It's adjustable 1 degree at a time and quite complicated to use. We'll have to work on it to make it simpler. Also, as it is, it would be quite expensive and I believe easier solutions might be possible. Also the market for an adjustable sharpener is very small.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:11 pm
Hi Beo,

It's adjustable 1 degree at a time and quite complicated to use. We'll have to work on it to make it simpler. Also, as it is, it would be quite expensive and I believe easier solutions might be possible. Also the market for an adjustable sharpener is very small.

sal
Hey Sal,

Would you be able to let us know if you're working on this design, linked earlier in the thread? Or a new design? It's ok if you can't tell, but I'd love the one linked in the patent drawing, especially if offered sans-stones for those of us who already have stones. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kennethsime,

We're working on that one also, but it's not the adjustable one.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:29 pm
Hi Kennethsime,

We're working on that one also, but it's not the adjustable one.

sal
Ok, well now I'm really excited. :D

I've been looking at guided sharpening systems that offer more edge angles than the Sharpmaker and was pretty settled on the Hapstone, but I'll hold off to see what you all have in the works.

Thanks Sal!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.