Opinions Wanted: Top 5 Best Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Opinions Wanted: Top 5 Best Spydercos

Post by Albatross »

I'm curious, what do you consider to be the top 5 Spyderco knives? Based on your own use and preferences.

If you feel like going the extra mile...

I know some of you really go nuts for the oddball Spydies. Maybe for the weird ones, you could explain why? Do you prefer serrated, partial, or non? Why? Maybe steel and handle material preferences as well? For work, EDC or other?

Also, I'm sure new(er) collectors/people looking for good work knives, might find this handy.

My top 5 is the standard internet response, based on EDC type use and breaking down large amounts of cardboard.

1. Pm2 (s110v/204p)
2. Delica (hap40)
3. Manix (s90v)
4 Endura (vg10)
5. Dragonfly (zdp-189)
TomAiello

Re: Opinions Wanted: Top 5 Best Spydercos

Post by TomAiello »

1. Manix 2 LW Maxamet (EDC at home)
2. Ladybug Hawkbill (my keychain knife--it's actually the one I most often carry because I don't rotate it)
3. Sprig (general purpose fixed blade, also great in the kitchen)
4. Chaparral (I prefer CF, but the general consensus is LW for the value) or Urban K390 (travel knives--which one depends on the jurisdiction I'm traveling to)
5. Dragonfly ZDP (I have them in bags, glove boxes, etc).

I avoided putting the real top five I carry, because it would have been a repeat of various Manii in different steel and scales. So don't think I'm dissing the other variants of the Manix. Lately the DLT M390 has actually been my most common carry.
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

1. Paramilitary 2
2. Lil Native
3. Para 3
4. Native 5
5. Shaman

I like the Golden knives, compression lock, and clip options i.e. tip up and tip down.

Matt
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Do you mean for our own personal use, or, from what we see others using? I would say for me it would be, when it comes to actual use, I would say the Pacific Salt and the Byrd Cara Cara 2.

1 Byrd Cara Cara 2
2 Pacific Salt
3 Endura
4 Delica
5 Centofante 3
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

1 Military
2 Native 2
3 Stretch 1
4 Rookie
5 Chokwe
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

1. PM2 (your steel of choice): Just an all-round perfect do-everything knife.
2. Advocate (CQI): Quintessential blade shape; M4 steel; very snappy flipper; thin and pocket friendly especially w/deep carry clip.
3. Gayle Bradley 2: Perfectly proportioned from tip to heel; M4 steel; again quintessential blade shape (Gayle Bradley keeps nailing it).
4. Military (your steel of choice): thin and slicey 4 incher.
5. Spydersaw (discontinued, sadly): Silkys rule the compact folding saw class and I love my F180, however they still don't have anything as compact, thin, light and well built as a Spydersaw. On long hikes I like tossing this and a PM2 in my pack.

I favor open-pillar construction, compression-locks and frame-locks locks the most. My choices are based on what I find most useful in my outdoor recreational pursuits: fly fishing, backpacking, hiking, camping.
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

1. Caribbean-serrated: This is my everyday carry, it is the most useful knife ever used, it is not my favorite knife, but I would say it is my second favorite.
2. PM2: all of the steels I love, maybe Cruwear the least, Maxamet the most, the M390's class next. The Golden Colorado comp locks are a true joy, they are my favorites of all.
3. Para 3, Maxamet the best, also love the S90V.
4. Chaparral Lightweight
5. Kappara
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

1. Hawkbill Dragonfly
(I have a lot of spydies and this one gets carried and used the most)

2. Fluted CF Native 5
(imho the best knife spyderco makes)

3. Para 3
(this knife's instant popularity speaks for itself)

4. Shaman
(I really like this knife, the contured smooth g-10 and stout blade are a great edc combo)

5. FRN Delica
(the knife which all others are measured against)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

1 Gayle Bradley 1
2 Military
3 Endura
4 Paramilitary
5 Urban
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

1 PM2
2 Endura 4
3 Pacific Salt
4 Police (probably most impressed with the 4 but hard not to recommend the 3 for most people's needs)
5 D'Allara 3
archangel

Post by archangel »

Paramilitary 2
Native 5
Slysz Bowie
Southard Folder
Stretch 2

There are no numbers in front of each model because I can't make a ranking. Each model has its top notch qualities. Sometimes I like model A the most, sometimes model B - you know what I mean.

By the way: I currently don't own an N5, but I did twice. They were LW, which is simply not my thing. I did get to know the superior ergonomics though. Some day I will own one with either titanium or cf or G10 scales. That one will be just great.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My totally subject "Top 5" would be:

Stretch - My favorite large folder. Been carrying one version or another 90% of the time since it first came out.

Kiwi - My favorite "gent's knife". Traditional enough looking not to frighten the faint of heart and weak of bladder, and a perfect canvas for customization.

Jester - And specifically the burgundy Micarta version, my candidate for the best key chain knife Spyderco has ever produced. I've had one on mine since '03.

K05 Small Utility and K08 Santoku - My most used kitchen knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Kidding (kinda) aside, these five right now.

Peter
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Paramilitary 2 - favorite Spyderco ever. Great size, ergonomics, and functionality.
Kapara - gives the PM2 a run for it's money. A little classier and even more ergonomic and "slicey." REALLY hoping some sprints/exclusives come out
Dragonfly - my favorite small Spydie. Carry this when I want a good one-hand opening knife but need something small/crazy light.
Pacific Salt SE - my go-to rustproof/beach knife. Love the serrations
Mantra 2 - incredibly slim (especially with the deep carry wire clip), love Ti/M4, fun to flip, and looks "classier" to carry with dress pants. Love how small this thing is in my pocket.

I've bought and sold dozens of Spydies and these 5 models are the main ones I still own and use the most. The Military is great, as well, but I always find myself using the smaller knives above much more often.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

By Blade Length:

1. Military
  2. ParaMilitary2
  3. Native5
  4. Chaparral
  5. ManBug2
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
awa54

Post by awa54 »

"Best" is very subjective... I would say that Golden and Taichung knives all merit purchase *if* you like the design. Seki and Maniago product is just a half step behind and if a knife from either source fits your needs buy it without hesitation! On to "Taiwan" (not Taiching) and Chinese made knives, again, they are very strong competitors in their respective market segments, don't consider them "bad", just more budget oriented.

An easier question to answer briefly might be, are there any Spyderco turkeys (in terms of QC or design, since ergos and aesthetics are so subjective)?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
lowcountry

Post by lowcountry »

anycal wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Kidding (kinda) aside, these five right now.

Although I bought my first Spyderco in 1998, I'm still a newb...

I believe the knives in the first pic are para2. Will you list the models in your second pic? The size arrangement is helpful to me.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Jester - And specifically the burgundy Micarta version, my candidate for the best key chain knife Spyderco has ever produced. I've had one on mine since '03.
Man, I couldn't agree with this more! I had the stainless version, and in fact it was my very first Spyderco (but it got stuck to someone's fingers :mad: )! I've never seen the micarta version though, I'll have to google it. At any rate you're right, what a great little big knife :D
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
vivi

Post by vivi »

Police 4 LW
Pacific Salt SE
Street Beat
Manix XL DLC
Waterway
Last edited by vivi on Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Nate

Post by Nate »

Today I'll say:

PM2, lefty in my case
Chaparral, frn
Caly3/UKPK
Jess Horn II/Baby Horn
PITS

BIG honorable mentions to a slew of others. The above are based on recent and accumulated carry time, it's hard not to include other greats such as the Native lw, Urban, Military, Manix2, etc...
:spyder: