Opinions Wanted: Top 5 Best Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Re: Opinions Wanted: Top 5 Best Spydercos

Post by zuludelta »

Not so much the five best Spyderco folders (whatever "best" is supposed to mean) but rather, the five Spyderco folders I find most useful and/or bring me the most joy and inspiration in terms of design. In no particular order:
  • Native 5 Lightweight, Combo Edge (CPM-S35VN): Ergonomic and function-forward whilst still being hard-wearing in use and lightweight and compact in carry, this knife is descended from a Sal Glesser design originally intended to be produced by the Camillus Cutlery Company in the late 1990s. The backbone of my work knife rotation and the standard against which I measure all other work folders.
  • Dragonfly 2 Salt, SpyderEdge (H-1): Sal Glesser designs a lot of "big little knives"—knives that pack a lot of performance in a small form factor—and the Dragonfly is my favourite in this category. This particular version, with a fully serrated blade made from extremely tough and completely rustproof H-1 steel, is the model at its most utilitarian and versatile. My favourite in-waistband carry knife when trail running.
  • Introvert (VG-10): Knife designer Chris Knutson drew inspiration from the works of Sal & Eric Glesser, Ed Schempp, and Fred Perrin and created the Introvert, a wholly unique distillation that stands tall on its own merits as both a utility cutter and a self-defence tool designed around FMA principles. A knife that, in use, feels like it was custom-fitted for my hand.
  • Delica 4, Combo Edge (VG-10): Another Sal Glesser design, the original Delica was the very first Spyderco knife I ever considered buying. The Delica 4 rivals the Native 5 Lightweight in terms of ergonomics, utility, and carry. The combo edge version is a mainstay of my work knife rotation.
  • Yojimbo 2 (CPM-S30V): Designed by Michael Janich primarily for the purpose of self-defence, the Yojimbo 2 is also a remarkably capable utility knife. The handling is second only to the Introvert in terms of personal fit, and its MBC-rated construction inspires confidence in even the most demanding conditions.
Honourable mentions:
  • UK Pen Knife (CTS-BD1N): A supremely ergonomic & light slipjoint, my convenience cutter of choice when I don't need a locking folder.
  • Salt 2, SpyderEdge (H-1): Essentially a linerless, rustproof Delica 4, my only issue with the Salt 2 is that the slightly taller hump (to accomodate the larger opening hole) makes it less ergonomic than the Delica.
  • Polestar (CTS-BD1): So underrated that it has almost come full circle to being overrated, the Polestar is an excellent work knife that straddles the line between "budget" and "premium" in terms of cost, materials, and features.
  • Native 5 Salt, Plain Edge (LC200N): The rustproof Native 5 Salt would probably become my primary work knife if Spyderco ever produces a variant in Combo Edge.
  • Q Ball (VG-10): In my experience, the Q Ball features the best expression of Spyderco's Ball Bearing Lock. This Eric Glesser design is the smoothest opening folder I own. However, the naked ceramic Ball Bearing Lock isn't quite as easy to use as the Caged Ball Bearing Lock (as seen in the Manix 2 and the P'kal).
  • Byrd Knives Hawkbill (8Cr13MoV): Supreme value, excellent functionality. A beater knife to beat all other beater knives.
  • Tasman Salt 2, SpyderEdge (H-1): Essentially a Salt 2 with a hawkbill blade, so it's basically a linerless, rustproof hawkbill Delica. An excellent back-up knife.
  • Dragonfly 2 (ZDP-189): The first Spyderco I ever bought. A sentimental favourite that still sees frequent use and carry.
  • Manbug, SpyderEdge (VG-10): My keychain knife and easily my most-carried Spyderco.
  • Chaparral FRN (CTS-XHP): Light, compact, and very slice-y. A great EDC choice that I often overlook because of other options at my disposal.
I'll do up a list of my top 5 Spyderco fixed-blades at some point in the future (likely after the Swick 5 is released).
Last edited by zuludelta on Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Delica Wharncliffe
Bow River
Gayle Bradley 1
Air
Manix 95 backlock
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

Manix 2....best lock, action, and feel in the hand, with a very good blade shape.
PM2. Awesome all around, carries smaller and lighter than it looks and great lock execution.
Sage 5 LW. The best smaller folder.
Para 3 LW. It ends up in the pocket a lot due to the low weight and great clip position.
Chaparral LW.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Salsa with integral comp lock
Sage 2
Sage 5 LW
Native 5 LW
Domino Red & Black CF laminate
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

These are so hard for me, my list changes all the time. If you ask me in a month it'll probably be different but today my top 5 is probably:

Military
Caribbean
Sliverax
Shaman
Dragonfly
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vba

Post by vba »

My top five would be:

1. Endura PE (VG-10 or ZDP-189)
2. Military PE (Completely satisfied with S30v)
3. Paramilitary 2 PE (As above)
4. Manix 2 PE (G-10)
5. Manix 2 XL PE (G-10)

I think one can see a pattern here (blade size). Can't help it I like big blades.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Interesting choices. Mine are not in order. I had trouble limiting my list to 5. The Military, Paramilitary and Chapparal are all tied for 6th. The Superleaf was also a contender.
I could get by with the Chapparal or Dragonfly and one of the larger blades and that would serve all my pocketknife “needs”. I suspect if I owned a Shaman it would be on here! That’s probably my next purchase.

Spydiechef
Manix 2 in S90V
Smock
Dragonfly2 in ZDP 189
Schempp Bowie
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Mako109 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:49 pm
1. PM2 (your steel of choice): Just an all-round perfect do-everything knife.
2. Advocate (CQI): Quintessential blade shape; M4 steel; very snappy flipper; thin and pocket friendly especially w/deep carry clip.
3. Gayle Bradley 2: Perfectly proportioned from tip to heel; M4 steel; again quintessential blade shape (Gayle Bradley keeps nailing it).
4. Military (your steel of choice): thin and slicey 4 incher.
5. Spydersaw (discontinued, sadly): Silkys rule the compact folding saw class and I love my F180, however they still don't have anything as compact, thin, light and well built as a Spydersaw. On long hikes I like tossing this and a PM2 in my pack.

I favor open-pillar construction, compression-locks and frame-locks locks the most. My choices are based on what I find most useful in my outdoor recreational pursuits: fly fishing, backpacking, hiking, camping.
Almost a year since my last response and there have been changes, of course:

1. PM2: Steel of choice + Aramis custom CF scales
2. Military: Steel of choice + Aramis custom CF scales
3. Shaman: S90V + Aramis custom CF scales
4. Yojimbo: KC exclusive 20CV CF
5. Caly 3.5: ZDP189 CF

For me, the Aramis scales are a must.

Still enjoying the Advocate (CQI) and M4 but I prefer a more corrosion resistant steel since I live in a marine environment.
thebreadloaf_edc

Post by thebreadloaf_edc »

I know it's been awhile since the last post but I wanna chime in my favorite 5.

1. para 2
2. lil native (compression lock)
3. para 3
4. lil nilakka
5. roadie
kobold

Post by kobold »

For work:

Military (S110V)
Native 5 (Rex45/G10)
Native 5 (Salt SE)
Bradley Folder
Caribbean (sheepfoot SE)

Honorable mentions:

PM2 (Maxamet)
Native Chief
SpyderHawk

For leisure:

Military (fluted Ti)
Native 5 (fluted Ti)
Native 5 (S90V/fluted CF)
Swayback
Chaparral (Ti)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Military PE
Police 4 LW
Pac Salt 2 SE
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly Salt SE
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Holland

Post by Holland »

Holland wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:35 pm
1. Delica
2. Dragonfly
3. Mantra 1
4. Junction
5. Stretch
Changed my mind...

1. Chaparral 1
2. Gayle Bradley 2
3. Mantra 1
4. Dragonfly 2
5. Junction

;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
archangel

2021 edition

Post by archangel »

Inhouse designs:
1 PM2
2 N5
3 Millie
4 Stretch
5 Para3

Collaborations:
1 Smock
2 Ikuchi
3 Slysz Bowie
4 Pingo
5 Tighe Stick
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Millie Cruwear version

Endura K390

Stretch Super Blue

Native Maxamet version

Jess Horn or Caly jr. Lightweight burgundy in ZDP 189. That started the pre ordering thing for me and at appx. $64 each they went like potato chips.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Caly 3
Caly 3.5 (& upcoming Caly 3.5 LW, likely)
Manix (G10 or LW)
Caly Jr
G.B. Air
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Domino
Native 5
Manix 2
Spydiechef
Yojimbo 2
PPT
GB Advocate

Apologies, I couldn't stop at five.
Attachments
five favorites 01.jpg
PaparockCal

Post by PaparockCal »

Yojimbo 2 and Ronin 2
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

1. Endura plain edge
2. Police plain edge
3. Paramilitary (One)
4. Endura serrated
5. Police serrated
Own them - and more models.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:05 pm
Tough to choose just 5, but here are my current favorites I tend to gravitate to

1. Cruwear Micarta Shaman - large EDC
2. Cruwear Delica - medium EDC
3. Chap LW - medium-small EDC
4. H1 SE Pacific Salt - yard/beach large EDC
5. H1 PE Dragonfly - beach/pool small EDC

Honorable mention: H1 SE Spyderhawk - this one is more task-specific (yard work mainly), but for those tasks there is no equal

Funny how tastes change. Current list...

1. Endelas (I reach for one of my two Endelas 90% of the time for EDC)
2. Enduras / Pacific Salts
3. Straight Spine Stretch
4. Micarta Shaman (how about a K390/Denim Micarta next?)
5. Delicas

Honorable mention: H1 SE Spyderhawk (thanks to a fellow forum member for helping me get one back in my rotation!)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

1. Sage 5 LW - Hands down best ergos, balance, EDC size, deploy/retract, and all-around looks(for me).

2. Dragonfly FRN - Can wear this with anything and go anywhere with it. Breaks boxes down better than knives twice it’s size.

3. Spydiechef - a one-knife-to-rule-then-all contender. Great steel, great utility in kitchen oriented duties.

4. Para 3 LW - for almost almost all the same reasons as the Sage 5 LW.

5. Para Military 2 Tanto - Simply bad-***. Deploys with a Wolverine SNIKT! And compression lock drop shuts with satisfying authority.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”