My first Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ccreags

My first Spyderco

Post by ccreags »

Hello all! Brand new here and looking for advice on selecting my first knife. This forum seems very active so I’m hoping to get some good advice. Bottom line, I’m looking for something with some decent size and weight to it as an everyday knife (prefer folding/locking). Looking forward to hearing your favorites. Sorry if there is something similar to this post. There are a lot of posts to comb through.
The Meat man

Re: My first Spyderco

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum ccreags!

There are so many options to choose from. Personally, I really like the Military for EDC. Also, the Native 5 is a good choice if you want a smaller knife.

For a super hard use "beater knife", you couldn't go wrong with the Pacific Salt SE. I use mine a lot and it is like a folding pocket chainsaw. The H-1 steel is tough and easy to sharpen, while the aggressive serrations made short work of any cutting task.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ccrreags,

Welcome to our forum.

My suggestions is for a Delica, plain edge, full flat, any color you like.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I will have to second Sal's suggestion ( I might be biased since my first Spyderco was a Delica)
Also don't overlook the Byrd Raven 2, IMO it rivals knives 3 x it's price.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

PM2, Manix 2, Endura, and Military would all fit the bill and are some of the most popular models.
ccreags

Post by ccreags »

Thank you all for the suggestions. With the huge selection of knives, I figured this would be the perfect place to start. I'll report back when I decide!

creags
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I would do the Endura or Delica.
The Stretch 2 is a great one as well.
I'd skip the Military and PM2 at first and go for something slicier. The Kapara seems great.
The Police 4 is sick but the k390 on it can be a handleful.

I'd start with one of the Japanese frn models.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Decent size and weight? The Shaman.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ccreags,

Check your local laws for knife carry. Te laws have been changing quite a bit lately and knives with 4" blades are becoming illegal in many jurisdictions.

sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’ll second Sal’s recommendation to start out with a Delica in VG-10, full flat ground. It’s the perfect introduction to Spyderco folding knives.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

For EDC, depending on your jurisdiction, I'd look at Chaparral, Native, ParaMilitary 2, Manix 2 and Military.

What's your definition of "decent size and weight"?
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Another tidbit for your consideration, if you Google top EDC knives (all brands), year-after-year the ParaMilitary 2, Manix 2, Delica and Dragonfly makes the list in most publications, blogs, and YouTube vids.. Among those popular models, the Paramilitary 2 appears to be listed the most (going by what I see without attempting any formal study or count). Consider that along with your local laws and personal needs.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Mako109 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:07 pm
Another tidbit for your consideration, if you Google top EDC knives (all brands), year-after-year the ParaMilitary 2, Manix 2, Delica and Dragonfly makes the list in most publications, blogs, and YouTube vids.. Among those popular models, the Paramilitary 2 appears to be listed the most (going by what I see without attempting any formal study or count). Consider that along with your local laws and personal needs.
Any of these will certainly make a first Spyderco.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

My first was a Tenacious. It's a great, inexpensive knife that does everything you can ask and more. I've heard good things about the byrd raven 2 as well. A delica is only a little more than a tenacious however, and is obviously very popular. But if you have the funds I'd go Manix 2. Love mine (in G10 with s30v), but am waiting on my blue lightweight to compare! The manix definitely is a little hefty but not overly so. Easily my favorite knife at the moment!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ccreags

Post by ccreags »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:49 pm
For EDC, depending on your jurisdiction, I'd look at Chaparral, Native, ParaMilitary 2, Manix 2 and Military.

What's your definition of "decent size and weight"?
I have larger hands so really just nothing too small. It seems I’ll be a bit limited in Chicago however. Looks like there is a 2.5” max blade length. Fortunately I don’t live in Chicago, just work there. Looks like I’m pretty unlimited in size outside of the city.
OldLog

Post by OldLog »

made my choice as a Spyderco Native 5 Knife Fluted Carbon Fiber (3" Satin CPM-S90V) C41CFFP5
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

Para 3 , Manix 2. I wear XL gloves at work and find for me the Manix 2 works best.
wes

Post by wes »

Paramilitary 2 and/or Para 3. You can hate me later after you’ve spent several thousand trying to collect all the sprint runs. 😬😬
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Sage 1, sage 5 or para 3
ccreags

Post by ccreags »

Thanks for all the tips. I went with the dragonfly Since it’s legal to carry in chicago. Man is it small. Thinking delica, para 3, or native next. Also really like the sages and the chaparral. I guess it doesn’t matter much since I’ll probably get at least one of each eventually 🙄