more 4V please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: more 4V please

Post by DougC-3 »

Excuse me for bumping this thread :D but I also believe the Manix 2 XL is long overdue for a sprint or exclusive, and I think 4V would be an ideal steel for it. I would be glad to buy one in any scale material or color. Personally, I'd prefer bare steel.

P.S. I would also like a matching FFG Manix 2 regular size :cool:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

ok i know this is probably not the place but i see alot of ppl want more 4v and more m4, i think both are cts. what is the actual difference.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:57 am
ok i know this is probably not the place but i see alot of ppl want more 4v and more m4, i think both are cts. what is the actual difference.

They are actually both CPM (CPM-4V and CPM-M4) or Crucible Particle Metallaugy made by Crucible. CTS stands for Carpenter Tool Steel, which is a different american manufacturer of steels like CTS-XHP and CTS-204P.

from wikipedia..

"The CPM process pours molten steel through a small nozzle. High-pressure gas atomizes the liquid stream into a spray which rapidly cools the steel into a uniform powder. The powder then goes into high-pressure containers and is heated at forge temperatures to press the powder into ingots; this is known as hot isostatic pressing (HIP), and the resulting metal is uniform.[9] Both processes then use hot or cold rolling to toughen the steel and mill it into finished products.[9]"

This process is also used to produce many other popular Spyderco steels...

CPM-CRUWEAR
CPM-REX45
CPM-S110V
CPM-S90V
CPM-S35VN
CPM-S30V

The difference between all M4, 4V and the rest of these can be immense. Really just the production process and manufacturer is where they are all similar.

In my mind, 4V is tougher than M4 with less wear resistance, and maybe a little less corrosion prone and a little easier to sharpen. Both are great steels and two of my personal favorites.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I hope St Nick's does the whole Golden, CO family in their Red/DLC 4V combo. 4V is a really great steel and its a shame that the availability of the 4V/3V/Cruwear class of steels is limited to a few exclusive runs a year.

Here is my vote for the order of release

G10 Native
Native LW
Military
Manix XL
Lil Native Comp Lock
Shaman
Manix LW
Para 3 LW
Manix
Chief

I will buy all of these models in any 4V, 3V, or Cruwear release with peel ply G10 scales.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red