I never want to hear about "chippy" steel ever again

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: I never want to hear about "chippy" steel ever again

Post by Pelagic »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:11 am
Bullwinkle wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:14 am
Not sure why the need to cut the cardboard at all? Just slice the tape at the join like everyone else does. My keys do this job.
Need is a strong word in general. Most people go through life without ever carrying a knife and will never be able to fully understand those who claim "I couldn't leave home without it". Not to mention, some cardboard is too thick to be folded up into a piece small enough for the trash, and many of these boxes are stapled together. Is it technically possible to simply rip the staples out by hand? Sure. But a knife certainly comes in handy. Sometimes you don't realize what you've been missing out on until you actually carry a knife. All kinds of random tasks become much easier.
Without taking this thread off topic, can you please explain to me why this is, why there are people who go through life without ever carrying a knife and who will not be able to fully understand those who do? This is a very saddening thing to me that people have this outlook.
You'd have to go outside of this forum to truly understand it, but it all stems from unfamiliarity. The same can be said for guns or watches. It's a byproduct of environments. There's probably people that live barefoot and have never understood the whole shoe thing, lol.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Dif’ernt strokes for di’ernt folks.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:
Not sure why the need to cut the cardboard at all? Just slice the tape at the join like everyone else does. My keys do this job.
Need is a strong word in general. Most people go through life without ever carrying a knife and will never be able to fully understand those who claim "I couldn't leave home without it". Not to mention, some cardboard is too thick to be folded up into a piece small enough for the trash, and many of these boxes are stapled together. Is it technically possible to simply rip the staples out by hand? Sure. But a knife certainly comes in handy. Sometimes you don't realize what you've been missing out on until you actually carry a knife. All kinds of random tasks become much easier.
Without taking this thread off topic, can you please explain to me why this is, why there are people who go through life without ever carrying a knife and who will not be able to fully understand those who do? This is a very saddening thing to me that people have this outlook.

It all comes down to how they are raised and who their friends are to make it short.

Back when I was growing up (I am 53) a MAN always carried a knife.

These days not so much however..... I will leave it at that. ;)
Last edited by Ankerson on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:04 am
I’ve chipped every steel I’ve used except 3v and lc200n, even at somewhat conservative angles (16-18dps). None of those steels (s30v, s35vn, s110v, aus8, vg10, 14c28n, xhp, 20cv, cruwear, zdp189, hap40, maxamet) chipped noticeably worse than any other.

My knives cut hundreds of feet of cardboard too thick for boxcutters each workday, and regularly impact steel bars. Outside of the extreme toughness spectrum, any steel will chip quickly if pushed too far.

Barring botched heat treatment and excessively low edge angles, edge chipping is nearly always caused by user error, not steel.
With all due respect to you and your cutting-situations, can you please explain to me how it is possible to chip AUS-8 stainless steel, within the parameters of those listed sorts of cutting applications? I ask because I have found and have been told and read by world-class knife-makers and knife-manufacturers that AUS-8 Japanese Stainless Steel is one of the toughest and LEAST chipping-prone stainless steel alloys on the world market. Again, I am not criticizing your experiences, I just want to figure this out. I can see how the edge impacting a steel bar or rod or wire could chip the steel edge. Thank you.
SpyderEdgeForever

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:26 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

It all comes down to how they are raised and who their friends are to make it short.

Understood and agree 100 percent my friend. Thank you for posting, by the way, I always appreciate reading your posts.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:27 pm
Mattysc42 wrote:
I’ve chipped every steel I’ve used except 3v and lc200n, even at somewhat conservative angles (16-18dps). None of those steels (s30v, s35vn, s110v, aus8, vg10, 14c28n, xhp, 20cv, cruwear, zdp189, hap40, maxamet) chipped noticeably worse than any other.

My knives cut hundreds of feet of cardboard too thick for boxcutters each workday, and regularly impact steel bars. Outside of the extreme toughness spectrum, any steel will chip quickly if pushed too far.

Barring botched heat treatment and excessively low edge angles, edge chipping is nearly always caused by user error, not steel.
With all due respect to you and your cutting-situations, can you please explain to me how it is possible to chip AUS-8 stainless steel, within the parameters of those listed sorts of cutting applications? I ask because I have found and have been told and read by world-class knife-makers and knife-manufacturers that AUS-8 Japanese Stainless Steel is one of the toughest and LEAST chipping-prone stainless steel alloys on the world market. Again, I am not criticizing your experiences, I just want to figure this out. I can see how the edge impacting a steel bar or rod or wire could chip the steel edge. Thank you.
Impacting steel at a bad angle when the edge was already worn from cutting (user error :p ). I agree that aus8 is exceptionally tough. It’s one of my favorite steels for beater fixed-blades, along with 1095.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:26 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

Luckily it's still that way in rural America.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:05 pm
Still the same in rural Australia. :)

I don’t think I’ve ever met a Bushy who didn’t carry some sort of knife. Not necessarily of any quality or sharp and often sharpened on a concrete step or similar but a knife non the less and they don’t go around stabbing each other either. They’ll knuckle often enough after a few drinks but knives stay in belt sheaths or in pockets. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderEdgeForever

Mattysc42 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:56 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mattysc42 wrote:

Impacting steel at a bad angle when the edge was already worn from cutting (user error :p ). I agree that aus8 is exceptionally tough. It’s one of my favorite steels for beater fixed-blades, along with 1095.
Thank you, this explains it well. What is a good solution in your opinion and outlook that would lead to a steel that is extremely tough and impervious to the stated problem but which is also very corrosion resistant?
SpyderEdgeForever

Bloke wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:02 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:05 pm
Still the same in rural Australia. :)

I don’t think I’ve ever met a Bushy who didn’t carry some sort of knife. Not necessarily of any quality or sharp and often sharpened on a concrete step or similar but a knife non the less and they don’t go around stabbing each other either. They’ll knuckle often enough after a few drinks but knives stay in belt sheaths or in pockets. :cool:
This is good to know and brightens my outlook :)
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:31 pm
Mattysc42 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:56 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mattysc42 wrote:

Thank you, this explains it well. What is a good solution in your opinion and outlook that would lead to a steel that is extremely tough and impervious to the stated problem but which is also very corrosion resistant?
From what I’ve heard, the best solution would be vanax sc ;) . Other than that, a short, thick behind the edge, but extremely thin stock knife in a tough but hard steel like cruwear or 4v. Geometry first, then steel to match. Not totally impervious, but close enough.

For corrosion resistance, drown it in eezox if not used for food, drown it in edci if it is.

Hopefully someday soon spyderco will have a vanax sc knife available.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

'chippiness' seems to be much more important to those who haven't learned yet to sharpen and repair the edges on their equipment.

A tool properly designed and sharpened for the use at hand shouldn't fail to perform. If it does, there may be some underlying metallurgical issues, but generally the large American foundries have some QA, and we know Spyderco does as well.

Differences in steel performance in hand are a wonderful thing to observe.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!