First real spyderco for sons 18th B-day ???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
idubodywork

First real spyderco for sons 18th B-day ???

Post by idubodywork »

I want to get my son a "real" spyderco for his 18th birthday. He already has a tenacious and various other budget folders but id like to get him something he'll really appriciate, last forever and inspire him to start his own quality knife collection. Im kinda wanting to stick with USA modles and so far im looking at
the manix 2 lwt, native 5 lwt and of course the PM2. Open to other ideas tho. Budget is 150ish...?????
:spyder: What A Great Knife ! :spyder:
Marulaghost

Re: First real spyderco for sons 18th B-day ???

Post by Marulaghost »

If you're looking to get him a big beefy knife than you're on the right track. Any of those sound fantastic especially if he goes outdoors a lot. If he prefers something that's more slicey than maybe look at something like a Caly if you still want US made?
But if he likes thinner blades than don't turn away from one of the Japanese or Taiwanese models.
An Endura is a really reputable big knife that cuts with no hesitation. If you wanna go big and fancy have a look at a police 4 perhaps
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Gotta say, my first Spyderco was a Tenacious. I'm carrying it now! I love it. I also have my new Manix 2 on me, and it is superb. I would say go with a Manix. I have it in G10, but I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a blue lightweight!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
carrot

Post by carrot »

PM2 has a great, heritage quality and heft to it that he will really appreciate at his age. When I was around that age I guess I must have been carrying a Military or an OG Paramilitary.

When I was younger I never really came to appreciate the FRN handles as they felt cheap, but now that I am older, lazier, and wiser, I have come to like the FRN Spydies for their great value, their comfort in-hand, and indestructibility. But G-10 still feels more like a "real knife".
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hands down pm2
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I would think the PM2 capable of giving any 18 year old a serious w**dy!

Another vote for the PM2,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Ric

Post by Ric »

Plus a sharpmaker.
The earlier he knows how to sharpen the better.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

May I humbly suggest the Manix 2 G-10 in S110V steel. Just slightly over your budget at 160. A quality piece that will last. I would also recommend that your son pick himself up a sharpmaker at some point.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... e-G--33051
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The Manix 2 is a great choice, but if you want something special...go for an exclusive or sprint PM2. Collectible, unique, and a fantastic knife even for the standard model. I also think the Shaman would be a great choice - you might have to find a coupon for it to get it into your price range. If you do go with a Manix, there are some unique variations available out there. 52100, M4, 4V, etc.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Autonomy 2, Yojimbo 2, Manix XL
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It's not from 'merica, but the Caribbean is the best option. It is a tank of a knife that can handle pretty much any amount of abuse a kid could throw at it AND it looks like a tool rather than a weapon.

The Autonomy 2 is a Golden made Caribbean(kinda), but it is an automatic. I don't know what the laws are in your neck of the woods.

So, yeah...
Good luck!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd go Manix 2 LW, depending on where you live. If you want to step up to "nicer" go with the s110v LW. I probably wouldn't get him anything that's not stainless, though.

Is it a legal carry there? You definitely don't need him getting in legal trouble over it, so if you have jurisdictional issues you might want to go with the Native for a shorter blade.
J.Sib84

Post by J.Sib84 »

Tenacious was my first Spyderco I bought before I could make the commitment of spending $100+ on a knife. I always wanted either a Manix or PM. It was always a hard decision for me. Currently I own 4 Manix 2s and 5 PM2s. I carry a PM2 far more than a Manix. Both are great knives but I much prefer the blade shape, weight, and the way the PM2 carries in pocket.

Any of the knives you mentioned would be a great knife for a young man, but my vote would go to a PM2 in any blade steel.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Native is the best choice. S110V might be a little difficult to sharpen for a first knife.
wes

Post by wes »

PM2 no other one to get for a first “real” Spyderco.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

idubodywork wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 am
I want to get my son a "real" spyderco for his 18th birthday. He already has a tenacious and various other budget folders but id like to get him something he'll really appriciate, last forever and inspire him to start his own quality knife collection. Im kinda wanting to stick with USA modles and so far im looking at
the manix 2 lwt, native 5 lwt and of course the PM2. Open to other ideas tho. Budget is 150ish...?????

Your story sounds similar to to what I've bought for my son (27 ) from Spyderco!

I gifted a camo DLC Tenacious about 8 months ago and put a very keen polished edge on it for him. I was blown away by how well the knife/steel held up to his abuse at work. A few months later I bought a Carribbean PE for him to use as a all around boat EDC. Next was a Digicamo DLC PM2 (same edge finish ) for a better quality work knife and all around daily carry. Because he goes fishing 3-5 times a week and I didn't want him trashing the Carribbean. ..I got a Pacific Salt SE (Christmas ) specifically for the tackle box .

Well ...after 6 weeks using the Pacific Salt ...he told me it's officially his favorite WORK knife and carries it daily "because it cuts so well" . :rolleyes:

Hope this helps and I'm sure he'll enjoy any number of Spyderco knives you pick from!

James
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The PM2's contours just hit my hand wrong, but the Native 5 LW feels like it was made for me. The difficulty of reassembling a BBL/CCBL is what's kept me from getting a Manix. Maybe let him see what feels best in his hand? Or just get hhim a Native 5 LW Salt since it's the first USA made Salt folder, and LC200N is a pretty amazing blade steel.
idubodywork

Post by idubodywork »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I gave him some choices and he wants to go with the either the Native 5 for ergos and smaller in pocket presence.
:spyder: What A Great Knife ! :spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

idubodywork wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:19 pm
Thank you all for the suggestions. I gave him some choices and he wants to go with the either the Native 5 for ergos and smaller in pocket presence.
You can't go wrong with any of the knives suggested including the Native 5. I think he'll enjoy whichever model he chooses.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Any of the three you listed are great. I would say the PM2 (black or camo) or maybe get him the discontinued Native 5 with black G10 and S35VN steel. The Manix 2 LW in S110V is also hard to beat. That's my three in that order.