What would you want a Dragonfly XL to look like?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: What would you want a Dragonfly XL to look like?

Post by TomAiello »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:20 am
TomAiello wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:19 pm
The delica is definitely not a dragonfly XL. One has a 50/50 choil, and the other does not. Dragonfly XL would be more like a Chap or Native than a Delica.
Maybe you should go back and read the post about it being like a modified Delica again, I think you missed the "modified" bit.

I was responding to the following:
by bdblue » 13 Feb 2019 19:18

I think it would look like a Delica.
I don't see anything there about modifications.

For me, the Delica and Dragonfly have completely different ergonomics. Saying "the Dragonfly XL would just be a Delica" missed the point of preserving the ergonomics of the Dragonfly. If you eliminated the 50/50 choil, you'd no longer have anything close to a Dragonfly.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:22 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:04 am
a dragonfly xl would be a manix 2 lw.

Nope... not even close.
really? that’s not necessary.

the dragonfly has a forward choil and a surprisingly full grip. the manix 2 lw has the same choil and better ergonomics i would expect from a larger dragonfly. it also has a leaf shaped blade. it also has a wire clip. it also has the same texturing in the grip. it also has a thumb ramp, though it is slightly less pronounced since the grip is bigger. it also shares a similar blade angle.

clearly it’s not the same knife, but it shares a lot of traits that make them both great. don’t be so dismissive.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Dragonfly, Chaparral, Native, Manix 2 and Manix 2 XL have always seemed to me to be very close to the same ergonomics, just in increasing size. I've identified them because that's my preferred set of ergonomics. There are variations in length and thickness, but they all have the "like a glove" feeling in my hand (except maybe the M2 XL, because my hands are too small for it).
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:57 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:20 am
TomAiello wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:19 pm
The delica is definitely not a dragonfly XL. One has a 50/50 choil, and the other does not. Dragonfly XL would be more like a Chap or Native than a Delica.
Maybe you should go back and read the post about it being like a modified Delica again, I think you missed the "modified" bit.

I was responding to the following:
by bdblue » 13 Feb 2019 19:18

I think it would look like a Delica.
I don't see anything there about modifications.

For me, the Delica and Dragonfly have completely different ergonomics. Saying "the Dragonfly XL would just be a Delica" missed the point of preserving the ergonomics of the Dragonfly. If you eliminated the 50/50 choil, you'd no longer have anything close to a Dragonfly.
You did not specify who you were replying to in your original post and the first post after the OP was about it looking like a modified Delica...

Anyways, I would like to see an XL Dragonfly, however it looks.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:31 pm
The Dragonfly, Chaparral, Native, Manix 2 and Manix 2 XL have always seemed to me to be very close to the same ergonomics, just in increasing size. I've identified them because that's my preferred set of ergonomics. There are variations in length and thickness, but they all have the "like a glove" feeling in my hand (except maybe the M2 XL, because my hands are too small for it).
All of those knives, except the dragonfly, get a convex swell in the handle where the ring finger goes. The concave, scooped out handle of the dragonfly is one of the main reasons the ergos never worked for me:

The area that I circled always felt way too narrow for my grip, even conpared to relatively thin handle designs like the Caly Jr. I gifted my last Dragonfly to a family member, its been serving them well.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ok so while waiting for Farcry New Dawn to download I decided to pull out the ol' light table and whip up a really poor sketch. Believe it or not I am something of an artist and I even took mechanical drafting once (Mr. Shinkle if you're reading this I am so sorry for this line quality) but this should get the point across.

As I said before, change as little as possible, just make it longer where it counts and don't lose the basic ergonomic feeling and flavor of the design. I added a half inch to the blade and handle, and tried my best to mimic the curves of the blade edge/spine and even copied the same shape at the butt of the handle, I just dragged them outwards a half inch and filled in the space between. Interestingly enough this got rid of the little point on the bottom butt end of the handle and make it much more round, sort of like a larger Lava handle where it gives you a nice ball shape to grab onto.

In the top sketch I did the best I could to copy the actual size of the Dragonfly 2, though it is just slightly larger (maybe 1/16 inch larger overall). The red shows where I added, the bottom is the finished product. I tried to keep the point in the same general area so as not to change the blade angle any.

I really feel like this has serious potential. For example, Vivi's problem with the cramped area of the handle is basically solved by this, since your hand will just follow the curve of the grip around to the butt and would no longer be locked in by that little point. It also looks like it would provide most average sized hands close to a full grip behind the choil (and definitely give a full grip when on the choil). The larger butt end would fill your palm better and prevent the knife from slipping out of your hand during pull cuts.

My well sharpened Dfly blade measures in at 2 3/16 inch and was likely closer to 2 1/4 inch when new. My sketch measures out to about 2 3/4 inch blade length with 2 3/8 inch cutting edge. That puts it just a bit smaller than a Delica, so I'd still consider it to be a small knife, it would just be a bit more versatile in XL form.

Oh and according to Wikipedia, the largest species of dragonfly is the Megaloprepus caerulatus, so I think "Megalfly" or just simpley "Megafly" would suffice but we can go with Dragonfly XL too :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Looks good, David! I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to that, as long as the current Dragonfly stays in the lineup too. ;)
-Nick :bug-red
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Being a very ergonomic handle as it is in the standard grip I found the only real issue is the first hump when using the choil so a little work did away with that and left the back a little thicker and bam. Feels great

vivi

Post by vivi »

Looks even more like a Dragonfly now.
:unicorn
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:43 am
Looks even more like a Dragonfly now.
I noted that when using the choil one of the humps got in the way just a little so it makes sense I guess that a more dragonflyish handle would suit it.
I did leave it a little straighter however as the handle isn’t small like that of the dfly so there isn’t a need to add that hollow and as the handle increases in thickness it actually fills the hand quite well when the hand shifts up to use the choil.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:04 pm
..................................................................................................................................................

Oh and according to Wikipedia, the largest species of dragonfly is the Megaloprepus caerulatus, so I think "Megalfly" or just simpley "Megafly" would suffice but we can go with Dragonfly XL too :D

" Megafly " .... cool :cool:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Evil D wrote:

That's a real Delica killer. I'd take that over a Delica every single time.
Conan

Post by Conan »

The size is ok as it is. But I would like to see more variations in steel end some nice G10....
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:

My well sharpened Dfly blade measures in at 2 3/16 inch and was likely closer to 2 1/4 inch when new. My sketch measures out to about 2 3/4 inch blade length with 2 3/8 inch cutting edge. That puts it just a bit smaller than a Delica, so I'd still consider it to be a small knife, it would just be a bit more versatile in XL form.
That looks great!! The blade dimensions would be quite similar to the Chap; If your model existed, I really would not know if I´d decide for that one or the Chap for my smallest / IWB carry knife... Chap beeing thinner / slimmer and probably a better slicer due to the thin stock, DF XL beeing lighter (linerless) and having a sturdier blade; The relation "cutting edge to closed lenght" would still be better in the Chap as far as I can see.

As stated previously, when I had to decide between Chap FRN and DF, the Chap mainly won due to the longer edge; the existing DF is not much shorter when closed, but the edge is significantly shorter than the one of the Chap; so much, that the Chap is really more usefull for my personal needs.
With YOUR DF XL that would be a whole different story...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Evil D wrote:
In the top sketch I did the best I could to copy the actual size of the Dragonfly 2, though it is just slightly larger (maybe 1/16 inch larger overall). The red shows where I added, the bottom is the finished product. I tried to keep the point in the same general area so as not to change the blade angle any.

So cool, I love it. It seems to be very similar to the Caly 3, perhaps they've already realized this and decided they would be too similar / they already have created a Dragonfly XL, and and it is know as the Caly we have now.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Dave, nice job. I’d buy one of those.
- best wishes, Jazz.
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

So it's a delica with a finger choil, that sounds awesome!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:25 pm
Dave, nice job. I’d buy one of those.
Cheers-
Just a couple of little changes but feels great
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

youmakemehole wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:48 pm
Evil D wrote:

So cool, I love it. It seems to be very similar to the Caly 3, perhaps they've already realized this and decided they would be too similar / they already have created a Dragonfly XL, and and it is know as the Caly we have now.

It does seem a lot like a Caly 3 now I think about it. For that matter the FRN UKPK is just a tiny bit smaller and also linerless so aside from the lock it's pretty close too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am pretty sure the Police 4 is the Dragonfly XL.