Favorite Saturday folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Favorite Saturday folder?

Post by benben »

Sorry if this has been covered before. Spring is right around the corner, with that comes yard work, bags of seed, fertilizer, and lime, working in flower beds, and maintenance on equipment.

I’ve had a Lil Native next in the queue for a while now, but I also want to add a tough “Saturday” folder as well for the things mentioned above. Since I don’t own one, I was thinking about a satin serrated Pacific Salt, I’m sure it would fit the bill, just wanted to hear some more suggestions from you guys. Thanks!
vivi

Re: Favorite Saturday folder?

Post by vivi »

Can't go wrong with a SE Pacific Salt. If I had to choose only one folder to own the rest of my days, it'd be that or my Police.

Saturdays are just another work day for me. I usually go with my Manix XL or Police 4 paired with my Leatherman.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Good choice with the SE Salt. I tend to use my Manix 2 LW, SE Salt 2 and will now be using my newly acquired SE Endura as well. Spyderhawk would also be a great choice!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can't beat the Spyderhawk for gardening work.
benben

Post by benben »

I was also looking at the serrated Endura but I’ve read so many times over the years that serrated H1 is just so much tougher. I’m pretty easy on my knives but this one will probably see more hard use, not abuse just maybe not loved as much as my others.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Manix 2 LW. Great shape, strong, lightweight. Everything I want in a no-nonsense yardwork folder. Also, the BD1 steel on it handles everything well but also comes back to razor sharp quickly after the work is done.

Hoping to have my pre-ordered Para3 Lightweight by the time spring starts so that I can give it a try this year.
benben

Post by benben »

I’ve already got a LW Manix in S110V, just need someone to push me off the fence on a new knife purchase! I really do want to try a serrated blade next.
mayong

Post by mayong »

I've been beating on an M4 PM2 in the yard to see how the steel holds up. I let it get really dirty while using it but never put it away like that.

My girlfriend does a lot of gardening and she uses an H1 Dragonfly because she's a sane, normal person that doesn't obsessively clean and care for tools like I do. The Dragonfly knows only filth and gets rarely more than a wipe down. With the H1 it's great not to have to worry about corrosion.

Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

benben wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:59 pm
I’ve already got a LW Manix in S110V, just need someone to push me off the fence on a new knife purchase! I really do want to try a serrated blade next.
Combo-edge PM2/PM3 in 51200!! I believe the pricing on these have not yet reached their full blown secondary market levels yet. I cant think of a more ideal gateway dru.. er, knife. Spyderco 51200 has edge retention close to that of their high end supersteels according to more than one tester but it sharpens super nicely almost like a slightly harder14c28n or N690.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
jdw

Post by jdw »

GB1 for me. It works like a tank.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I use the Pac Salt for all the jobs you mentioned. We've had a long hot, humid summer in this part of Oz, and I've been surprised to see (mild) rust spotting on both S30v (Kapara and lefty Millie) and S110v (UKPK). When I'm watering plants in hothouses etc, the H1 steel has been fantastic, the way you can just dunk it in soapy water and shake it off, and keep going. You can't go wrong with it, really.

These ones are also great for that kind of work:

benben

Post by benben »

I’ve had my serrated Pacific Salt for a while now, this coming weekend I’m picking up another identical one as a backup. I’m really wanting to try LC200N and I’m pretty sure I’m going to get a Native Salt.

My question to you guys......since I’ll already have two serrated H1 Salts, on this Native with LC200N, would you go plain edge, or go with SE on this one too?