UKPK - Cut Down Leaf to Drop Point

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aesmith

UKPK - Cut Down Leaf to Drop Point

Post by aesmith »

Hi,

Just a thought, maybe completely impractical but prompted by the UKPK options produced or speculated about in leaf and not drop point format. Is there any reason why an end user couldn't reshape the back of a leaf blade to match the profile of the drop point? I've not compared them first hand, it appears that the leaf blade has less belly which would be OK, but I'm not sure on the hole spacing and the metal around it. And would it sacrifice either the logo or Sal's rune? On my drop point I've already cut down the spine a little to reduce the hump, purely for personal preference.

Cheers, Tony S
---------
Tony S
Jazz

Re: UKPK - Cut Down Leaf to Drop Point

Post by Jazz »

If you can draw it on there, you can grind it out. I haven’t checked, but it wouldn’t be too hard with proper tools.
- best wishes, Jazz.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I always liked the look of the drop point, but when it comes down to cutting things, the leaf wins every time IMO.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:51 pm
I always liked the look of the drop point, but when it comes down to cutting things, the leaf wins every time IMO.
What makes the leaf better at cutting? I thought the drop point is a leaf minus some material.
Justin
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I like them both, but like the leaf a lot better. Not sure why.
- best wishes, Jazz.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I can see how the leaf shape is a stronger blade, but not a better slicer unless the spine is where you place your finger or thumb for pressure while slicing.
Justin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Mmm, more wharncliffe please!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

crazywednesday wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:05 am
awa54 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:51 pm
What makes the leaf better at cutting? I thought the drop point is a leaf minus some material.

I Personally prefer the constant moderate edge curvature of the leaf, over a straight edge with all the curvature at the tip like the drop point has.

That's personal preference though, I'm not saying the leaf blade is superior, just that I find it a more useful geometry for my cutting technique.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I on the other hand prefer the drop point-
Firstly for basic thibgs like light utility cutting, food prep and the like I have never found it lacking and the less surface area seem to sto thinks sticking to it as much while cutting.
That said the leaf is a great shape. I personally grabbed the drop point as in the line up it just isn’t as common.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:42 am

Absolutely! With the apparent success of the Jazzdelica and the upcoming release of wharnie endura it seems like the time is right for the ukpk to get the same treatment.

I wonder if this should get its own thread.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:47 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:

Absolutely! With the apparent success of the Jazzdelica and the upcoming release of wharnie endura it seems like the time is right for the ukpk to get the same treatment.

I think jazz already solved this-
Jazz wrote: If you can draw it on there, you can grind it out. I haven’t checked, but it wouldn’t be too hard with proper tools.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:02 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:47 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:

I think jazz already solved this-
Jazz wrote: If you can draw it on there, you can grind it out. I haven’t checked, but it wouldn’t be too hard with proper tools.

Sure, but I want a production version. Not everyone is willing or capable of regrinding a blade like that.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

i Believe in you.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Not talking about me. :rolleyes:

@liquid_cobra
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

crazywednesday wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:49 am
I can see how the leaf shape is a stronger blade, but not a better slicer unless the spine is where you place your finger or thumb for pressure while slicing.
From my own experiences I would agree to an extent that less blade = less friction while slicing and so is "better" so to speak, but only in that regard, there is also another aspect I've noticed though which is the ability to stay aligned while cutting which can provide a much more impactful difference IMO in cutting ability/ease than the much less tangible difference from having less friction.

A bit hard to elaborate on this through text if I didn't the point across clear enough by now but I guess you could imagine a parallel being drawn from how a car with a long wheelbase being much more stable at high speeds as opposed to a car with a short wheelbase. A taller bladestock will keep the blade from twitching around and changing directions mid-slice, and so a taller knife could be considered a better slicer, all else held equal and also assuming specifically for straight cuts. However though if a slicer that can carve out angles and curves and shapes is what you deem to be better, the opposite(having a short blade) would be indeed be preferred since it would make changing directions mid-slice much easier.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Cheers everyone. My preference is partly aesthetic, I prefer the look of a slimmer blade, and partly public relations in that the wider leaf blade looks more threatening as it's so different from everyday knives. I'm not sure I'm convinced by the functional arguments, for example carving knives and bread knives are narrow in comparison to their length. I think the same is true of any strictly functional knife that I can think of, except a Stanley knife I suppose.
---------
Tony S