Anyone else have an edc that you didn’t expect?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pickmansmodel82

Anyone else have an edc that you didn’t expect?

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Some schools of thought say any knife is better than not having one. Others say carry as big and bad as you can. I’ve found one knife dominates my pocket time, even when sharing with bigger, harder use knives.

The humble ladybug, In zip-189. This little knife disappears into the pocket. It may not fit the largest of hands, but I’ve found a small bead and lanyard gets the sweet spot for grip size, and lets me easily choke up for precise cuts. The steel keeps well, and only asks for occasional oiling. Also, on the scale of intimidating knives and tools, it rates a solid “Oh, that’s a useful little guy”, even in a call center environment.

As for cutting, it is phenomenal. Any reasonable task can be undertaken, discreetly and easily. Though I love knives of many forms and have a fondness for the native 5 and Manix 2, especially for heavy duty cutting tasks. But the ladybug always finds itself snuggled in the pocket, even if it’s got a “big brother” keeping it company.

Does anyone else find themselves using an unexpected knife for their daily use? Be it exotic or factory standard, big or small?
ZrowsN1s

Re: Anyone else have an edc that you didn’t expect?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Pickmansmodel82 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:47 pm
Does anyone else find themselves using an unexpected knife for their daily use? Be it exotic or factory standard, big or small?
Didn't think I'd like the Shaman as much as I do. It's a great edc knife. Hawkbill Dfly is most carried knife, doesn't really surprise me though, it's my kinda of knife. I carried a similar knife long before I discovered Spyderco.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Brouwer really took me by surprise. I probably wouldn't have bought one if I hadn't scored one at the seconds sale last year, but I'm glad I did. Even during the sale I wasn't really set out to find one but after handling it I decided I liked it enough to try it.

It carries well in pocket, has a nice slim profile when closed. Blade deployment is really smooth on mine without any adjustments. I love the ergos with the choil, it makes the knife feel bigger than it actually is but still provides good control when you're using it.
-Nick :bug-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

I have all my folding spydies in rotation for when I'm out of the house. Apart from that there's one TRUE EDC that is on me at home every day, all the time (except for bedtime, and when I shower ;) ). It's the Slysz Bowie. Kind of high price for an EDC, but titanium handles and XHP sexy shaped blade, and supersmooth action.

You just can't beat that.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I didn’t think I’d like it but the stretch 2 is pretty fantastic.
Some would feel that the sharpened length of the blade is a shortcoming but it’s a blade that is long enough and the handle is fantastically comfortable in several grips
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I don't carry it every day, but I didn't expect to like the D'Allara 3 as much as I do. I bought it because it was new in the box and I got a great deal on it. As soon as I held it, it was perfection, in knife form. The handle fits my hand perfectly, it's buttery smooth, and the blade is a great shape and size for edc. The story behind that model makes it even better. It's also the reason I've come to really enjoy both s30v and ball bearing locks. Probably the only knife I own where that "Ooh! New knife! This is the greatest thing ever!" feeling hasn't worn off, even months later.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Chap LW. Didn't expect to like a Taiwan made blade more than the American and Japan made knives, but it is just perfection in every way.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Police 4.

I thought the steel would rust too easily to keep it in rotation. In two months that might be the case since sweat makes it rust easily, but during the winter it's been fantastic for me.
:unicorn
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

SE Salt 2... why would I carry a SE blade? And why would I buy a yellow handle knife that needed to be rit dyed for city carry?
Don't know, but here it is with me, day after day...
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

When I first caught the spyderco bug I purchased MANY different models in different steels. I really really liked the native 5 with g10 scales however I always found myself picking up my domino and it going in my pocket. I now exclusively rotate my CTS-XHP and CTS-204p dominos. they are FANTASTIC small to medium folders.
I ran out of room to list all my spyderco's :(
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:47 pm
Chap LW. Didn't expect to like a Taiwan made blade more than the American and Japan made knives, but it is just perfection in every way.
The CF/G-10 Chaparral is my most carried Spyderco. I can wear it with jeans or a suit, and it can’t be beaten for slicing.
Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I didn't think I would ever use any of my C-36 Military models as one of my main EDC units. But when I got my first M390 Military about 3 & a half years ago I've been madly in love with that model as a main EDC ever since. But truly that awesome blade steel ( M390) made a huge difference for my EDC uses.

Before that I had used many mid-sized models like the Para2, and my very favorite C-60 Ayoob model. But in the past the extra bulk of the C-36 Military had me using it for mainly outdoor type uses. But since I got the M390 Military model it's now going to take one awesome supersteel bladed model to even make me consider switching to another model to EDC.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well the Autonomy is just about as different and unexpected as it can be compared to what I was carrying just 2 years ago. I didn't expect to go from PE to SE and from thumb hole to automatic. The number of really awesome models I got just before it really make it a surprise, it's had a lot of competition.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Sliverax. Even though it sucks as a flipper with the super-weak detent it has excellent ergos and the negative blade angle works so well for a variety of tasks.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I bought the “R” on a lark after missing out on the original smurf PM2s. After carrying for a while I realized it was really just an up sized Delica with a choil. It’s has a great combination of qualities that people often request (make a delica with a choil! Make a back lock PM2! Make a Caly with less belly! Etc). It’s one of my favorite all time spydies that has sadly always been a limited model.
Blacksprucy

Post by Blacksprucy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:34 am
I didn't think I would ever use any of my C-36 Military models as one of my main EDC units. But when I got my first M390 Military about 3 & a half years ago I've been madly in love with that model as a main EDC ever since. But truly that awesome blade steel ( M390) made a huge difference for my EDC uses.

I had the same experience with the Military. I picked up a Ti version of the Military when they announced that they were to be discontinued and ended up carrying it a lot more than I thought - so much so, that it is now the only Spyderco I carry after I sold off my Sage 2 and Techno.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Spyderco didn't ever surprise me much. I'd buy a knife absolutely expecting to really like it and carry it for a good while. Both of these things came true every single time. My most unexpected edc's have come from non-spydies. I only buy models I'm confident I'll enjoy in use. It's rare that I get any knife that I'm disappointed in, which would mean all the researching I did prior to purchase led me to an innacurate assessment.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

The Khuhuri (or Kukri). Quirky looking knife but the narrow profile and extreme negative blade angle really makes practical sense, especially for cuts needing fine control. Part of the weirdness of the knife comes from the disproportionately large Spydie hole and ricasso which make up for nearly 1/3 of the blade length.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Well, as any decent certified addict,.. I mean, enthusiast...I sometimes buy a knife just because I haven’t bought a new one in a while.

Two knives that fall into this category, and have been making it into regular EDC rotation, the Chaparral and Endura 4.

Variety is a beautiful thing.
Peter
PStone

Post by PStone »

The Wolfspyder. I bought it with the intention of it being my secondary knife for camping and hiking. It has ended up as my second favorite Spyderco ever. Only being beaten out by the native 5.

It’s such a tough little folder. Robust blade stock. Strong tip. Have had no chipping with the s30v like others have reported. It takes up less pocket space than my native, but fills my hand just as nicely. The funky shape feels great in my hand. I prefer backlocks, buuuut, this compression lock is so extremely smooth and controlled. The relocated detent is one of my fav features. It makes it feel almost like a back lock. I’ve beaten the crap out of mine for 6 months, and it just asks for more.