Hello stretch!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daveho

Hello stretch!

Post by Daveho »

I picked up a Stretch 2 from some Bloke on the Internet, holy cow does vtoku rust instantly.
Just arrived and the previous owner cut nothing and I know that as fact-
Lots of moisture in the air currently

ChrisinHove

Re: Hello stretch!

Post by ChrisinHove »

Eek.... I am so ocd about rust, I have kept just one non-stainless Spydie, a SB Manbug, and I virtually keep that in an oil bath!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Joey

Post by Joey »

I, too said hello to a stretch 2 in v-toku2! I haven’t done a lot of forced patina work, but I wiped vinegar onto the uncladded steel and watched it darken within seconds. My only other attempts were with ketchup and mustard, so I didn’t see how fast the steel took to it.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Joey wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:15 am
I, too said hello to a stretch 2 in v-toku2! I haven’t done a lot of forced patina work, but I wiped vinegar onto the uncladded steel and watched it darken within seconds. My only other attempts were with ketchup and mustard, so I didn’t see how fast the steel took to it.
No forced patina here-
From bloke giving it a little fondle then a couple days with Aus post that’s what we get- I’m amazed how quick that happend and you can see how fast that was from the goodbuy stretch thread.
Currently it’s quite hot and muggy (or flodded) in Aus, I guess that’s what we get?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I will tell you this guys-
It cuts like a champ- wouldn’t change a thing as I don’t actually care I was just suprised how quick it happens
Joey

Post by Joey »

Yeah, I gotcha! I knew it was just from the humid air. That’s intense, I was watching the “goodbye stretch” thread because I thought it was interesting how I was in the market for one just as someone made a post about letting theirs go. You guys have it humid, that’s for sure! I’ve yet to find rust on any of my knives here in the Midwest US.
I agree, this steel is excellent! It sharpens up nicely too. I can’t seem to put a bad edge on my dragonfly in V-toku2. It always comes off the stones extremely sharp :)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Joey wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:09 am
Yeah, I gotcha! I knew it was just from the humid air. That’s intense, I was watching the “goodbye stretch” thread because I thought it was interesting how I was in the market for one just as someone made a post about letting theirs go. You guys have it humid, that’s for sure! I’ve yet to find rust on any of my knives here in the Midwest US.
I agree, this steel is excellent! It sharpens up nicely too. I can’t seem to put a bad edge on my dragonfly in V-toku2. It always comes off the stones extremely sharp :)
I personally have never had an issue with rust but and my sweat is quite neutral and dosnt seem to be an issue- I’ve noted that when dealing in used guitars especially- that said I had a couple of 43 degree days (110 for you US folk) and my knife have gotten good n sweaty
I have to say I’m lookong forward to putting my own edge on it-
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:29 am
It cuts like a champ- wouldn’t change a thing as I don’t actually care I was just suprised how quick it happens
I can´t help but suggesting you get a Stretch 1 too now, if you like the "2"... ;)
At the moment the "1" is still to find, won´t be that way forever (plus: I never purchased knives for investment and will never do so. But nevertheless: I guess the Stretch 1 will go up in price as time goes by, so it IS a good investment if someone is into that)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
npad69

Post by npad69 »

I think the rusting were caused by the bloke's tears that fell on the blade which he forgot to wipe off when he hastily packed it back up in its box to be resold immediately
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IIRC, the V-Toku Stretch is the first Spyderco I've ever purchased that came with a desiccant pack inside the bag. Looks like there was a reason for that. :eek:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:00 am
Daveho wrote:
I can´t help but suggesting you get a Stretch 1 too now, if you like the "2"... ;)
At the moment the "1" is still to find, won´t be that way forever (plus: I never purchased knives for investment and will never do so. But nevertheless: I guess the Stretch 1 will go up in price as time goes by, so it IS a good investment if someone is into that)

I think I'm going to lose my mind if I hear or read anymore about the **** Stretch 1 in every one of your posts! :eek:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:44 am
IIRC, the V-Toku Stretch is the first Spyderco I've ever purchased that came with a desiccant pack inside the bag. Looks like there was a reason for that. :eek:
Right!!! I remember the first Spyderco I purchased that came with that bag and thought uh oh this suckers gonna rust for sure if they are doing this. 52100 did not disappoint at all a little use in the kitchen an whammmo same with K390 not a big deal Flitz and mineral oil and all was good.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:00 am
Daveho wrote:

I think I'm going to lose my mind if I hear or read anymore about the **** Stretch 1 in every one of your posts! :eek:
I get that and apologize (honestly!).

I guess I just did not realize that some people really read most of all - and most of my posts. And that for those my passion for the Stretch can get annoying.

Quite new here, still have to learn, you just helped me to do so. ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

No need for an apology! I'm glad you found the knife that you truly love. I've just come to expect to see something about it whenever you post! Maybe I'm just jealous I haven't found my perfect fit...I've got about 6 models I feel that way about haha.

I spend a lot of downtime at work roaming about the forum, so I tend to know who the most frequent posters are. I guess I should make myself more busy!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:14 am
No need for an apology! I'm glad you found the knife that you truly love. I've just come to expect to see something about it whenever you post! Maybe I'm just jealous I haven't found my perfect fit...I've got about 6 models I feel that way about haha.

I spend a lot of downtime at work roaming about the forum, so I tend to know who the most frequent posters are. I guess I should make myself more busy!
Ok, then let´s turn the apology partly in "thank you for drawing my attention to that maybe I`m beginning to repeat myself out of passion" ;) (honestly again)

And for the perfect fit for me: Even in my case the Stretch and the good old Endura have to fight that out that out each day again and again.. ;) (and now a PM2 wants to join the battle, thanks to Zatx... :rolleyes: )

/ And I am really granting you the time you have for the forum!! Keep it that way, don´t make yourself more busy! ;) Work is ok and necessary, but the bigger part of life should be there for other stuff (just my two cents)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Evidently bloke tears are the gold standard for forced patina.
His disappointment in the update was so severe the knife tried to self destruct
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Poor Bloke he is getting a dose of his own medicine. :) that's what I call true love Bloke keep us all laughing.

Stretch1, Stretch1, Stretch1 is great, great, great! Honestly I am crazy about all my knives and the newest one usually leaves me in stunned awe but the Stretch has got some serious lasting power.

This morning I looked at my Paramilitary 2 in S35VN and my Stretch 1 in VG-10 FRN. Waited felt for it opened and closed both knives cut a piece of magazine paper, shelved the PM2 Stretch i in pocket all day long.....

Last night sharpened the military in CTS-204P on the sharp-maker and cut some paper very toothy and unhappy with it. Then wiped out the Military in M4 I re-profiled to a mirror polish on the Wicked Edge Pro3 and sliced so nice could hardly feel the paper cutting.

After work tonight the CTS-204P Millie is getting some Wicked edge time, I think I will take some before and after pics for the forum.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:44 am
I've seen them in others. I thought it was standard for all the non-stainless blades, but I can't say that I actually checked and verified that. I just know that some have them and some don't.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I think the desiccant things are standard in all the non stainless blades-
All the spydies in M4 I have had came with one.

As luck would have it I have been cutting acidic and corrosive stuff like lemons, cutting up packages with acid spills and the like so I expect the colour to be very different by day’s end-
I also find the cladding scratches up easily too.
This guys gonna look pretty beat up really soon