Mantra Detent Ball

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razorsharp

Re: Mantra Detent Ball

Post by razorsharp »

I replace all my detents with ceramic, much prefer the action. Also if you make the hole int he blade bigger that the ball sits into, you can increase the detent, just make sure the ball doesnt already fully seat or it will rattle when closed.
JohnyKwst

Post by JohnyKwst »

Totally agreee with you Tim. Please switch over to ceramic balls Sal.
Tims wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:22 am
It’s frustrating to see threads like these about steel detent balls when the fix is so bloody simple. Why persist with steel when ceramic is so widely available? It can’t be cost, surely?

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and steel detent balls are the weak link in an otherwise strong chain.

Dear Sal, please move to ceramic detent balls on all RIL, liner & compression locks on non budget/byrd models
iaguilera14

Post by iaguilera14 »

How would you remove the detent ball on a frame lock without an insert? Like the Sage 2.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I wonder what the production process is like for detent balls/bearings. Ive gotta speculate that batch heat treating these tiny things uniformly is a difficult process.
I would also speculate that this example isn't the standard offering, as far as hardness goes...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

iaguilera14 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:57 pm
How would you remove the detent ball on a frame lock without an insert? Like the Sage 2.
depends on if the detent hole in the frame lock was drilled all the way through or not.

If not, I've seen modders remove all steel hardware from the lock side of the knife (so it's the lock slab only) and immerse the whole thing in a solution that dissolves the only remaining steel - the detent ball.

Obviously that's drastic measures. :eek:
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I don’t know if it’s a good thing or not but with my Militaries I tune the last thing I do is pack the detent hole flush with Shimano Ace2 grease, same as I use on the pivot and it certainly seems to make a difference.

I s’pose time will tell but so far so good. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
VSBALA01

Post by VSBALA01 »

Hi all, I have a quick question about a similar knife. I just got a Delica 4 as my first Spyderco Knife and I guess you could call me a bit of a noob. I was just a bit concerned about me closing the Delica in a certain way. Would closing the knife by letting it snap shut with the detent eventually end up harming the blade/longevity of the knife? The sound it makes seems like the metal is hitting something pretty hard. I'm too scared to do it this way with my Delica so I use my thumb to push the blade back and not let it snap shut with the full force of the detent recoil. Is the choil what is hitting the handle or is it the actual edge of the blade? What should I do? Letting it snap shut with the detent is much easier for one hand closes though...
mattman

Post by mattman »

Welcome to the forum.
The Delica is different, for the purposes of this discussion.
The back-spring is what provides the closing pressure, and the "kick" is what is supposed to stop the blade from closing on the edge... If something is wrong, and the edge is hitting first, it will obviously create a flat spot on the edge.

(There isn't a detent ball to wear, like the rest of this thread is discussing)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but does anyone have a measurement (or better yet a link) for a ceramic ball to replace the detent ball on a Mantra 2?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:25 pm
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but does anyone have a measurement (or better yet a link) for a ceramic ball to replace the detent ball on a Mantra 2?
Tom I somehow missed this before. I did my best to measure mine when I had it apart. It was deformed and hard to measure. My best guess was that it was 1/16" ball. They're available on Amazon. I'm tempted to order some and try. My Mantra's working so well now I'm hesitant to change anything. I really don't need 100 of them either :)

https://www.amazon.com/1-588mm-Silicon- ... 183&sr=8-1
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

What a great read, thank you, I learned a lot and still learning.
"stay puft."
attila

Post by attila »

TomAiello wrote:
Did you end up pursuing this? My Mantra 2 detent ball is flattened, so I’ve been pondering either flipping it or just getting ceramic. Thanks.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

attila wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:44 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Did you end up pursuing this? My Mantra 2 detent ball is flattened, so I’ve been pondering either flipping it or just getting ceramic. Thanks.
I ended up buying a pack of 100 of 1/16" dia. They look to be the correct size but I haven't had the opportunity to confirm

EDIT: attila send me a PM if you'd like me to send a few to try. You'd probably get around to testing before I'll be able to
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Great writeup!

My Mantra 1&2 are my favorite knives but flipping action isn't all that and very differnt between the 2 I have. When I took the 1 apart beginning of the summer I noticed the same flat spot you photographed. I think mine flattened over time because I remember they flipped fine when I just got the. The Mantra 1 is my oldest, used the most and flips the worst from the duo. Still usable but not like you'd expect.

Now find the nerves to try and replace it. :) Or someone with the skill and tools :D
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

KnOeFz wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:22 am
Great writeup.
My Mantra 1&2 are my favourite knives but flipping action isn't all that. When I took them apart beginning of the summer I noticed the same flat spot you photographed. I think mine flattened over time because I remember they flipped fine when I just got the. The mantra 1 is my oldes and flips the hardest from the 2. Still usable but not like you'd expect.

Now find the nerves to try and replace it. :) Or someone with the skill and tools :D
It's not really difficult to replace if you have the right tools. I've acquired a pretty good selection of tools over the years. So I had everything I needed on hand. People have said it's not really necessary but the little arbor press I have came in handy