Confession

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jimc

Re: Confession

Post by jimc »

Mako109 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:47 pm
Have to admit, didn't care for it when it was first released. Bought one anyway to see what the hype was all about, but never warmed up to it. The handle shape really bothered me so I eventually abandoned the knife. Flash forward to 2017, I discover custom CF PM2 scales by Aramis which addressed the things that didn't suit me on the factory scales. Matched them up with custom titanium hardware and it transformed my PM2 like a cockroach into a butterfly. I have since acquired three more set up the same way. My modified PM2 now holds a firm position in the top 10 of my collection (which includes Hinderers, Marfiones and other high end brands). There are so many wonderful Spyderco models to choose from so its quite understandable if people find other models more to their liking. Anyway, here's a pic of three of mine which I've posted several times and I'm sure the regulars are tired of seeing...
wow they are stunning!!!! show pieces or do you incorporate them in to your rotation?
edc - orange G10 urban, vg-10.
edc/workers - honeybee, grasshopper.
home, utility, food prep - manix 2, cpm s30v.
jimc

Post by jimc »

anycal wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:53 am
Nothing to confess from my end. All my PM2 (1/2 dozen of them) see more use than any other knife.

Ergonomics not working for you, lock or blade preference, that's understood. But dumping on it because of its popularity, that I don't get. I kinda get the wanting to be part of an exclusive club. But with knives, aint make no sense to me.

If it works, it works. Who cares what others think.
not dumping on it! i love the pm2's i just don't have one in my collection, that's the problem! but i intend to change that. :D
jimc

Post by jimc »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:30 am
But would you get the PM Tanto that was shown in the video of the 2019 SHOT show once it became available or would you get a Military Light Weight with FRN handle?
i really like the pm2 in g10 camo, black or satin blade color. the tanto did look nice! but was that potentially going to be a blade HQ special? if so that would be out of the question as i am in the uk.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jimc wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:44 am
I have to get this off my chest, I don’t own a pm2!!! 😯
Sorry I will try harder 😂
Didn't own one either till very lately, just from a theoretical standpoint there were some minor things that made me buy other knives in the end whenever I almost wanted to try a PM2 (I can't afford too many knives).

Now Zatx gifted one to me, and I have to say: I like it much more than I imagined. Hasn't left my pocket since it arrived (except when skitouring).
I don't think that there will ever be a knife that can beat the Stretch 1 for me personally in the end, but the PM2 comes close and some features I like even more than on the Stretch. And that says something..

So, to cut a long story short: Buy one , try one! That comes from someone who definitely was not impressed by all the PM2 hype (part of why I never bought one myself, though now I know I should have)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

jimc wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:19 pm
wow they are stunning!!!! show pieces or do you incorporate them in to your rotation?
Definitely in my rotation, it's the best way to really appreciate them. They're my most versatile afterwork and weekend EDCs. Have one in M390, M4, S35VN and S110. Experimenting with different steels with identical blade shapes and same platform makes it easier for me to evaluate the virtues of each.
jimc

Post by jimc »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:35 pm
jimc wrote:
Didn't own one either till very lately, just from a theoretical standpoint there were some minor things that made me buy other knives in the end whenever I almost wanted to try a PM2 (I can't afford too many knives).

Now Zatx gifted one to me, and I have to say: I like it much more than I imagined. Hasn't left my pocket since it arrived (except when skitouring).
I don't think that there will ever be a knife that can beat the Stretch 1 for me personally in the end, but the PM2 comes close and some features I like even more than on the Stretch. And that says something..

So, to cut a long story short: Buy one , try one! That comes from someone who definitely was not impressed by all the PM2 hype (part of why I never bought one myself, though now I know I should have)
i know where you are coming from, specially on the cost side of things, i have a small family, and a relatively low paid job, lol currently saving what i can for a holiday in july, plus other things pop up from time to time, like car repairs, school trips for my son, so the pm2 would be (for my budget) a high end knife for my collection. but i have my heart set on one now so i will make it work some how :)
jimc

Post by jimc »

Mako109 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:40 pm
jimc wrote:
Definitely in my rotation, it's the best way to really appreciate them. They're my most versatile afterwork and weekend EDCs. Have one in M390, M4, S35VN and S110. Experimenting with different steels with identical blade shapes and same platform makes it easier for me to evaluate the virtues of each.
That's great, i would too, obviously i wouldn't carry due to uk knife laws, i have my urban and ukpk for that, but i would definitely use them around the home and in the garden, as i do with my manix 2.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jimc wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 pm
Wartstein wrote:
jimc wrote:

i know where you are coming from, specially on the cost side of things, i have a small family, and a relatively low paid job, lol currently saving what i can for a holiday in july, plus other things pop up from time to time, like car repairs, school trips for my son, so the pm2 would be (for my budget) a high end knife for my collection. but i have my heart set on one now so i will make it work some how :)
I am sure you won't regret it... though: If you are ok with FRN and backlock, I'd maybe recommend a Stretch 1 even over a PM2 ;) The Stretch 1 is discontinued and will probably be harder and harder to find as time goes by, while the PM2 will be there forever I guess...
And currently there is a place that offers the Stretch 1 for less money than the PM2 is.
But again, sure G10 and comp lock is a different story compared to FRN and backlock
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jimc

Post by jimc »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:55 pm
jimc wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
jimc wrote:

I am sure you won't regret it... though: If you are ok with FRN and backlock, I'd maybe recommend a Stretch 1 even over a PM2 ;) The Stretch 1 is discontinued and will probably be harder and harder to find as time goes by, while the PM2 will be there forever I guess...
And currently there is a place that offers the Stretch 1 for less money than the PM2 is.
But again, sure G10 and comp lock is a different story compared to FRN and backlock
i have looked at the stretch 2, which i do like, but i need to stick to my guns and go for the pm2, i would rather buy the more expensive knife first and the cheaper models later, otherwise it will take me a long time to get my pm2... if that logic makes any sense? :D
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Sinner ;)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jimc wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:04 pm
Wartstein wrote:
jimc wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

i have looked at the stretch 2, which i do like, but i need to stick to my guns and go for the pm2, i would rather buy the more expensive knife first and the cheaper models later, otherwise it will take me a long time to get my pm2... if that logic makes any sense? :D
Sure, it makes sense! ;) And you'll certainly like the PM2!

But just for clarification: ,I was talking about the discontinued, but at the moment still available Stretch 1, not the Stretch 2. For me personally the "1" is even better than the "2".
jimc

Post by jimc »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:10 pm
jimc wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
jimc wrote:

Sure, it makes sense! ;) And you'll certainly like the PM2!

But just for clarification: ,I was talking about the discontinued, but at the moment still available Stretch 1, not the Stretch 2. For me personally the "1" is even better than the "2".
yes i know, sadly no longer available in the web store i use.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jimc wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:10 pm
jimc wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

yes i know, sadly no longer available in the web store i use.
Look at my post on the last page of the thread... ;)

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... start=3680
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

jimc wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:49 pm
Mako109 wrote:
jimc wrote:
That's great, i would too, obviously i wouldn't carry due to uk knife laws, i have my urban and ukpk for that, but i would definitely use them around the home and in the garden, as i do with my manix 2.
Now that I know you're saving up for a PM2, I should add that from direct experience I believe S30V steel has always been and still is a wonderful and perfectly capable steel. I can't distinguish it from S35VN, and sincerely believe you don't need an exotic higher end steel to appreciate the PM2. Hope that insight might help in your budgeting and get you closer to buying one :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mako109 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:44 pm
jimc wrote:
Mako109 wrote:
jimc wrote:
Now that I know you're saving up for a PM2, I should add that from direct experience I believe S30V steel has always been and still is a wonderful and perfectly capable steel. I can't distinguish it from S35VN, and sincerely believe you don't need an exotic higher end steel to appreciate the PM2. Hope that insight might help in your budgeting and get you closer to buying one :)
I second all of that. S30V is perfectly fine imho and for me not distinguishable from the S35VN I had in my Native 5.
The PM 2 that was gifted ti me is in 30V and black G10 and just perfect for me.
jimc

Post by jimc »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:53 pm
Mako109 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:44 pm
jimc wrote:
Mako109 wrote:

I second all of that. S30V is perfectly fine imho and for me not distinguishable from the S35VN I had in my Native 5.
The PM 2 that was gifted ti me is in 30V and black G10 and just perfect for me.

thanks guys, i have s30v on the manix 2, which i am more than happy with. sharpens easily and holds a nice edge for what i need.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have one S110V PM2 that is as perfect as production knives get. Lucky if I’ve carried it half a dozen times.

I had a pink S30V too because I like pink scales but gave it to my daughter. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I bought 8 as part of a collection and sold them all. When i first heard about the Paramilitary I was excited until the compression lock.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Don't feel bad!

I haven't touched my PM2 since I bought the Caribbean. For me, it outclasses the PM2 in every way.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 pm
Don't feel bad!

I haven't touched my PM2 since I bought the Caribbean. For me, it outclasses the PM2 in every way.
I've read so many good things about the Caribbean. The LC200N is especially compelling to me since I live by the ocean. Unfortunately its blade length exceeds the legal restriction in my area :(