Shaman Sprint ?????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: Shaman Sprint ?????

Post by Tucson Tom »

hambone56rx wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:36 pm
As much love as K390 has been getting recently and since Sal said there is a K390 P4 light weight in the works, would y'all rather see micarta and K390 or micarta and Cruwear like what has been mentioned????

Hamilton
K390 works for me. So does Cruwear. Even M4 is OK. Rex45 would be pretty doggone good too, but that might demand orange G10.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:18 pm

...This knife was made for Cruwear.
... and a stonewashed blade (also in cruwear), what do you think?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Question: is the pivot or stop pin on a Shaman any bigger than that of a pm2?

I ask because from an uneducated initial glance they appear to be the same. In which case, the blade size (and shape) is really the only thing making it more hard use than a pm2. Well, and less hotspots ergonomically.

Admittedly, this all very knit-picky, and I'm just thinking out loud, but one of the few things I dislike about the compression lock is that it doesn't allow for a large pivot washer by design. If you'll look at the pivot washers on a Military, they are roughly twice the diameter of those on the Shaman. What does this mean? Well, in my experience with pm2's versus Millies, pm2's are more likely to need pivot tightening after times were the pivot inadvertently sees lateral force/stress. If the pivot was tight before, it will eventually drop shut, and if it already dropped shut, a slight bit of bladeplay sometimes emerges. Millies seem to take more abuse and not need pivot tightening in my experience.

This doesn't mean I dislike the Shaman or comp lock (I actually really like both), I'm just curious.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:17 am
Question: is the pivot or stop pin on a Shaman any bigger than that of a pm2?

I ask because from an uneducated initial glance they appear to be the same. In which case, the blade size (and shape) is really the only thing making it more hard use than a pm2. Well, and less hotspots ergonomically.

Admittedly, this all very knit-picky, and I'm just thinking out loud, but one of the few things I dislike about the compression lock is that it doesn't allow for a large pivot washer by design. If you'll look at the pivot washers on a Military, they are roughly twice the diameter of those on the Shaman. What does this mean? Well, in my experience with pm2's versus Millies, pm2's are more likely to need pivot tightening after times were the pivot inadvertently sees lateral force/stress. If the pivot was tight before, it will eventually drop shut, and if it already dropped shut, a slight bit of bladeplay sometimes emerges. Millies seem to take more abuse and not need pivot tightening in my experience.

This doesn't mean I dislike the Shaman or comp lock (I actually really like both), I'm just curious.
It just depends on where the breaking point of the stop pin is vs the breaking point of the blade itself. If the PM2 blade is more likely to break before the pin, then that would make the Shaman a clear step up. I've broke blades but I've never used a knife so hard that I made the stop pin fail.

I'm with you on the larger washer though. That's an unfortunate compromise on a lot of models.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Thanks for the reply. I just prefer bigger components since I often use knives in unfavorable environments. I think one day when I can finally retire the strength of a folder won't matter as much. I believe there has to be something to Chris Reeve's pivot, washer, and stop pin construction/size, which I certainly like.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:18 pm
hambone56rx wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:36 pm
As much love as K390 has been getting recently and since Sal said there is a K390 P4 light weight in the works, would y'all rather see micarta and K390 or micarta and Cruwear like what has been mentioned????

Hamilton

K390 was part of the original polls last year and Cruwear won above everything else by leaps and bounds. This knife was made for Cruwear.
I think a large part of Cruwear winning was the hype the metal had at the time with BBB. If you made the poll today it might be REX45 or K390 taking the cake. And for your information K390 was not part of the poll! Neither was REX45.

I'd take any of the 3 steels i mentioned here, but for me Cruwear would be last in my ranking.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Just thought I'd bump this to the top of the forum so you can look back and see how you felt about the Shaman sprints back at the beginning of the year!

Looks like many were on the Cruwear Micarta bandwagon...

Enjoy,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!