Work Sharp Guided Knife sharpening w/ delica vg10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rjacklin

Work Sharp Guided Knife sharpening w/ delica vg10

Post by Rjacklin »

Ok, so I am just getting into this. I purchased a work sharp guided knife sharpening system and went to sharpen my delica 4 that is my edc. Needless to say, I can’t shave arm hair, and cutting paper is difficult but easy after I get it to “catch” on the paper.

I bought the additional stones as well. It recommends doing everything on the 20 degree for pocket knives and 17 degrees for kitchen knives. I just cannot seem to get it sharp. On the Vg10 I work on it for ages and I do not see or feel a burr. I have tried doing 50-75 strokes on each side and nothing. I continue to move to the higher grit, going through each one and ending on the strop.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to use this thing? Should I be doing 17 degrees on the vg10 Delica 4 to create a sharper edge?

Thank you so much for your help!
sal

Re: Work Sharp Guided Knife sharpening w/ delica vg10

Post by sal »

Hi Rjacklin,

Welcome to our forum.

I'm biased, but I would suggest a Sharpmaker.

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Going to higher grits before you have established the apex is a waste of time. Forget about creating a burr, get the two sides of the edge bevel to meet using the coarsest stone you have. You can polish and refine the edge, but you need to create that edge first.

Sharpening a knife isn't rocket science and it doesn't require elaborate equipment, just practice.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Regardless the tool, adequately understanding what is involved in the process and what to look for and look out from is needed. I suggest this very good sticky:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wha ... s.1014274/
Chris :spyder: