Sharpening LC200n at low angles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Sharpening LC200n at low angles

Post by PStone »

Is lc200n suitable to sharpen below 15dps? Like say down to 10 dps?
The Meat man

Re: Sharpening LC200n at low angles

Post by The Meat man »

Only one way to find out. ;)

Surfingringo posted a video here awhile back in which he talked about his experiences with an LC200N Caribbean. If I recall correctly he said he took the edge down to 20° inclusive (10 dps) and it worked fine for him.

I don't have time right now to find the thread but I know it was related to the No-Sharpening November challenge.

Edit: I think is it:

https://youtu.be/DGnOnAtwSNw
Last edited by The Meat man on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I think Lance touched on low angles in a reassuring YouTube video.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PStone

Post by PStone »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Surfingringo posted a video here awhile back in which he talked about his experiences with an LC200N Caribbean. If I recall correctly he said he took the edge down to 20° inclusive (10 dps) and it worked fine for him.

I don't have time right now to find the thread but I know it was related to the No-Sharpening November challenge.

Thanks Meat Man! Sounds like there was some rolling and deformation at 10dps w/15dps microbevel. But no chipping, and very easy to repair.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:30 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Thanks Meat Man! Sounds like there was some rolling and deformation at 10dps w/15dps microbevel. But no chipping, and very easy to repair.

Yes, and from what I've heard, you probably won't be able to totally get away from some edge rolling if you use it hard (like Lance did). I don't have any firsthand experience with LC200N, but from what I'm hearing it seems to be a bit on the softer side as far as knife steels go. (Though worlds better than plain edge H-1.)

Actually I've often heard it compared to VG-10, in which case it should be able to handle thin edges just fine.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Yup. I reprofiled mine to ~12-13 degrees per side.
It performs really well, and shows much less edge degradation that I originally expected.
I may not be as robust as a 30 or 40 inclusive, but it slices 10 times better, and is quite easy to touch up and maintain.

I’d say go for it and see how you like it.
If you appreciate cutting aggression and performance, you’ll have a blast with it after reprofiling.

Cheers!