Parata

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hambone56rx

Parata

Post by hambone56rx »

When I'm watching Paul's interview from the Late Boy Scout (https://youtu.be/46jvbaLFLgQ) and I'm STOKED to try out the Stop lock! Look at the video around 5:47 and Paul shows how it is easily closed one handed.

I would love to have THE FIRST EVER SPYDERCO WITH AN AXIS LOCK! And as crazy as it is, I've never tried VG10 out. It was interesting to hear Sal say that it was originally developed for grafting plants... aka to get really sharp.

I'm pumped! What does everyone else think?

Hamilton
vivi

Re: Parata

Post by vivi »

Here's a link to 5:45 into the video

https://youtube.com/watch?v=46jvbaLFLgQ&t=5m45s
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I wish it had been made in Golden or Taiwan to keep the cost down (if location would have made a difference) . But I like this one. The blade shape is intriguing, like the way it fits in the hand, lock is cool. I may have to pick one up down the road, budget allowing.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:04 am
I wish it had been made in Golden or Taiwan to keep the cost down (if location would have made a difference) . But I like this one. The blade shape is intriguing, like the way it fits in the hand, lock is cool. I may have to pick one up down the road, budget allowing.
Agreed all the way around. The Stop lock is definitely the most intriguing part for me as well. Paul has mentioned in the past that the handle design is modeled after the Caly. While I don’t own one, the times I’ve Handled them have left a great impression on me and made me want to own one!

I wonder if Paul is lurking around and wants to weigh in on anything? :D
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

hambone56rx wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:57 pm
When I'm watching Paul's interview from the Late Boy Scout (https://youtu.be/46jvbaLFLgQ) and I'm STOKED to try out the Stop lock! Look at the video around 5:47 and Paul shows how it is easily closed one handed.

I would love to have THE FIRST EVER SPYDERCO WITH AN AXIS LOCK! And as crazy as it is, I've never tried VG10 out. It was interesting to hear Sal say that it was originally developed for grafting plants... aka to get really sharp.

Hamilton
I’ve been hoping that Sal would adapt the Axis lock ever since he mentioned that the patent had expired. I even asked him ahout it a couple of years ago at the Oregon Knife Show. After watching the video all I can say is, it’s about time. :) Oh yeah I forgot, the Sage 3 is one of my favorite Spydercos.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I hope it doesn't sport teflon washers like the Ouroboros :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

holeshot wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:28 am
hambone56rx wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:57 pm

Hamilton
I’ve been hoping that Sal would adapt the Axis lock ever since he mentioned that the patent had expired. I even asked him ahout it a couple of years ago at the Oregon Knife Show. After watching the video all I can say is, it’s about time. :) Oh yeah I forgot, the Sage 3 is one of my favorite Spydercos.
Sorry, typo! I would love to have the first ever Spyderco with a STOP lock. Sorry about that my friends.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Hambone, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... ;)
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Howdy everyone,
Glad to see the Parata is finally getting some interest. Knowing the blade belly is a little extreme for a lot of utility tasks, I assumed this one would be a bit under the radar.
Fortunately, at Shot Show there was quite a number of avid hunters/outdoorsmen that gave the design a chance. The feedback, once in hand, was overwhelmingly positive. They liked the grip, negative blade angle, the blade shape and geometry. And while most of those potential customers didn’t care about which lock mechanism was used, I’m sure the stop lock will be interesting enough to get some of the more hardcore AFIs to at least give it a chance.
For this extreme of a design, it’s gratifying that it seems to be finally finding its niche.
And I can happily confirm, the latest prototype I disassembled used phosphor bronze washers.

Cheers,
- Paul
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

To be honest, the first time I saw the Parata in the catalog I blew right by it. I had to look at it a couple of times, and now find myself drawn to it, belly and all. Watching Paul work the Stop Lock in the you tube video, it looked very easy to open and close one handed. Definitely picking one of these up.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

paulwa wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:48 am
Howdy everyone,
Glad to see the Parata is finally getting some interest. Knowing the blade belly is a little extreme for a lot of utility tasks, I assumed this one would be a bit under the radar.
Fortunately, at Shot Show there was quite a number of avid hunters/outdoorsmen that gave the design a chance. The feedback, once in hand, was overwhelmingly positive. They liked the grip, negative blade angle, the blade shape and geometry. And while most of those potential customers didn’t care about which lock mechanism was used, I’m sure the stop lock will be interesting enough to get some of the more hardcore AFIs to at least give it a chance.
For this extreme of a design, it’s gratifying that it seems to be finally finding its niche.
And I can happily confirm, the latest prototype I disassembled used phosphor bronze washers.

Cheers,
- Paul

It's strange ... I feel attracted to that blade shape and I'm a city guy most of the time. I only wish the entire package was smaller so I could carry and use it in my urban environment. That aside , congrats for the design and for implementing the stop lock, Paul.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

paulwa wrote:
Howdy everyone,

Cheers,
- Paul
Thanks for weighing in Paul! Interesting that I’m most drawn to it because of the lock! I picked up your Slicerax as it was the first ever Flipper with a compression lock, and now I’m drawn to the Parata for the Stop Lock!

Looking forward to getting one in hand inside the next 3 months!
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

paulwa wrote:
Howdy everyone,

Cheers,
- Paul
Paul I’m looking forward to purchasing this knife, looks very cool! I have a question. Where did you get the scales for your Ouroboros? Buy the way I don’t have a issue with the nylon washers on mine. :)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm eager to try this sometime soon.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:51 pm
paulwa wrote:
Howdy everyone,

Cheers,
- Paul

It's strange ... I feel attracted to that blade shape and I'm a city guy most of the time. I only wish the entire package was smaller so I could carry and use it in my urban environment. That aside , congrats for the design and for implementing the stop lock, Paul.
I’m finding the smaller Ouroborous to be a really great urban edc.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just wanted to ask: Any new experiences with the Parata and especially the stop lock?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:29 pm
Just wanted to ask: Any new experiences with the Parata and especially the stop lock?
No one?! :(
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

I have one, I haven't carried it a lot yet, but I do like the stop lock.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Too expensive, I could buy another Caribbean for less!

I want one, but it would have to be sub $150.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Foundry81 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:08 am
I have one, I haven't carried it a lot yet, but I do like the stop lock.
Thanks!
Sumdumguy wrote: Too expensive, I could buy another Caribbean for less!

I want one, but it would have to be sub $150.
I hear you.

I should maybe start a designated stop lock thread, cause while I think the Parata is a cool design, what really interests me at the moment is this lock...