Parata

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Parata

Post by curlyhairedboy »

alas, this one has slipped down on the priority list. I'd still like to get one in hand at some point.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:00 pm
alas, this one has slipped down on the priority list. I'd still like to get one in hand at some point.
In many ways it is a really interesting design. Very light,but still an extremly wide blade (for the length), and if you really measure along the cutting edge, then there is a lot of it.
I also like how rather slim it looks when closed (I think just about like a PM2) , but how wide the blade is when opened.
I don´t know how such a blade shape would work for me, but that´s exactly what would be interesting to find out.

Yes, and the stop lock... really would like to try this eventually. Only thing that could be a bit annoying (in pocket) are the two "knobs" protuding sideways from the handle.

But where I live, the Parata costs more than a Manix XL... and IF I were ready to lay down the money, I´d still go for the latter... Or a stright spine Stretch and save a bit for the upcoming sun and moon Chap... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

For what it's worth, the stop lock knobs are nested into the scales in such a way that they hardly protrude at all.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Foundry81 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:34 pm
For what it's worth, the stop lock knobs are nested into the scales in such a way that they hardly protrude at all.
Thanks for that first-hand-info!
I just know the knife / the lock from depictions, and feared the "knobs" could protrude significantly.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I have a Parata and absolutely love carrying it! Super light and ergonomic!! Unique design!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BDNX wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:58 pm
I have a Parata and absolutely love carrying it! Super light and ergonomic!! Unique design!
And how do you like the stop lock on it?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Yup... I’m eager to hear from some users. I like unique shapes and the lock is also intriguing.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:53 pm
BDNX wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:58 pm
And how do you like the stop lock on it?
I like it a lot. Took a little bit of getting used to....a little stiff but it’s breaking in nicely!