Super Blue Calypso, Jr.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lsulaw12

Super Blue Calypso, Jr.

Post by lsulaw12 »

I recently picked up a Super Blue Calypso, Jr. sprint run in a trade and, all in all, it's a nice little knife. Not as "hard use" as a similarly-sized Delica, but it's fun.

I heard reports of off blade centering (which mine has; not the end of the world), but my example also has a fair amount of side-to-side play. With the knife being pinned together, is there any way I can tighten down the pivot?
ZDP-189 Delica 4, Chaparral FRN, Super Blue Calypso, Jr., HAP40 Dragonfly 2
Mom3ntuM

Re: Super Blue Calypso, Jr.

Post by Mom3ntuM »

On mine it helped by tightening the pocket clip screws.
Tried with and without the clip on, i have no bladeplay with the clip mounted securely but plenty without.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
archangel

Post by archangel »

Can you believe it? Out of the blue I visited a German dealer website (I really don't do that at all, prices are beyond ridiculous here in Germany), and they had them in stock! For a two digit price, all inclusive! :eek: :eek: :eek:

#26 is incoming. :) It's FRN which is a pity for me, but I'll sure give it a try. :p SB case closed!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Joey

Post by Joey »

Dang, a fine find! Especially to be collecting steels like you are.
I love mine. There’s just something about the model that I love, and to have some Super Blue for under $100 is excellent. I am so happy to be collecting when they revived this model.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Less than 100€, a little over $100 ;) Still a great price for a new rare sprint run model. :D
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Joey

Post by Joey »

Right, pardon my ignorance I just didn’t know which currency you used specifically ;) heck of a deal this late after release.
Hopefully the blade centering is good! I bought one used that had bad centering, then I got a new one during a restock at Blade HQ that is right in the center.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Is it really less "hard use"able than the delica? Thats disappointing.. I have one coming in the mail and for some reason I thought it had a thicker blade so therefore a higher durability factor. The delica is already such a thin and dainty knife.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

Screws generally allow for easier adjustments.

That said, enjoy your knife, I believe it will serve you well.
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I remember so well how much I dearly loved the original Burgundy, ZDP-189 version of the Caly Jr. when it was introduced back in 2005. I've still got it but it's mainly been retired in the past 5 years because much of my cutting needs do better with longer blades.

It's kind of ironic in a way but my two favorites out of the entire Calypso line up are the C-52 Caly jr. and the original C-54 big Calypso model. Those two will always have a special place in my heart.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

lsulaw12 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:33 am
I recently picked up a Super Blue Calypso, Jr. sprint run in a trade and, all in all, it's a nice little knife. Not as "hard use" as a similarly-sized Delica, but it's fun.

I heard reports of off blade centering (which mine has; not the end of the world), but my example also has a fair amount of side-to-side play. With the knife being pinned together, is there any way I can tighten down the pivot?

A number of Moki made lockbacks (both Spyderco branded and Moki branded) I own have blade play when not locked, but are rock solid when locked open. Several of those are over ten years old and none have had blade play increase from use... It was especially bad in my Blakiston's Fish Owl and bothered me for a long time, but I eventually got over it and continue to enjoy the knife to this day.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
archangel

Post by archangel »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:05 am
A number of Moki made lockbacks (both Spyderco branded and Moki branded) I own have blade play when not locked, but are rock solid when locked open.

Exactly what my Caly Jr. SB is like. A little off center, too. I can live with that. Ergos are great! FRN is... well it's FRN. All in all a good catch, and finally my SB hunt is over.
Michael
cliffgeo

Post by cliffgeo »

I just picked one up over the weekend, and I like it, however it has a bit of a hot~spot to say the least. It is where the top back of the blade meets the end of the lock bar, and is not at all flush, with the lock bar a good 1mm above the blade junction and FRN, leaving 2 very sharp corners that come into play when my thumb is on the top finger choil. So my question is, I am thinking of taking a mini-file and attempting to round off the sharp points, anyone else done this? is it even worth messing with? I can see it going sideways very easily, and were it not one of my favorite steels I would just sell it (with full disclosure)... thoughts?
fixall

Post by fixall »

cliffgeo wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:15 pm
I just picked one up over the weekend, and I like it, however it has a bit of a hot~spot to say the least. It is where the top back of the blade meets the end of the lock bar, and is not at all flush, with the lock bar a good 1mm above the blade junction and FRN, leaving 2 very sharp corners that come into play when my thumb is on the top finger choil. So my question is, I am thinking of taking a mini-file and attempting to round off the sharp points, anyone else done this? is it even worth messing with? I can see it going sideways very easily, and were it not one of my favorite steels I would just sell it (with full disclosure)... thoughts?
Unfortunately, all three of the Calypso Jr Super Blues I handled had this issue. :(

Yours seems to be a little bit worse than mine, but the issue is definitely there on all of them.

I can't see why taking a file to it would cause any issues, and I absolutely think it's worth your time. It's a fantastic knife with phenomenal steel and unless you pay the inflated secondary market price, you'll never have a chance to own another. It's not often that we get a knife from Spyderco with a full slab of Super Blue instead of being cladded.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

I got mine from DLT a few days ago but hadn't taken it out of the box yet. I checked mine and it does not seem to have this issue. It fully engages and sits flush.

Can you force it down flush with some pressure? If so, maybe it just needs some break-in.
cliffgeo

Post by cliffgeo »

Thanks Fixall, totally agree... I appreciate your input, just what I needed to hear. I'm going to do some work on it tonight, and other than this alignment issue the knife is fine, tight as a drum, zero blade play, reasonable blade grind, light as a feather and a full slab of SB... Have a great weekend :spyder:
cliffgeo

Post by cliffgeo »

SpyderSeth, I (very politely) added a note asking if they would "check the centering" - and I swear every time I do that something else other than the centering is wonky... I'm just going to shut up from now on. I'd way rather have a slightly off center blade than this... :rolleyes: lol, I tried pressing it quite hard and not happening, its way off. I'm just going to round the edges a bit and call her my own... Have a good weekend
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

I got two of these - and both have that same issue with the lock bar and tang not meeting flush.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Mine does not have that.
Michael
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:31 am
Mine does not have that.
That's good, every one i have seen and handled, including my 2 are just like the one in cliffgeo's pic.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
archangel

Post by archangel »

You know what? There IS a difference of height between the blade part and the handle part in mine too. Your comment had me check it. I was so sure there wasn't because you basically don't feel any sharpness, because the two FRN handle pieces and the steel handle part are even. But there is a step between both steel parts...
IMG_20190323_113319-1024x768.jpg
Michael