Spyderco Website Ordering Woes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

Spyderco Website Ordering Woes

Post by Zatx »

First, let me start by saying that I understand that Spyderco is not Amazon so I don't expect their website ordering experience to flow nearly as smoothly as that at the Big River. Second, I order all of my Spyderco's directly from their factory outlet because I receive the OPFOCUS discount which allows me to purchase more knives than I would be able to purchase if going through another retailer. I appreciate this gracious gift given to me by the Spyderco team and it is because of their generosity that I waited two months to post this issue on the forums; I was patiently waiting for an improvement.

What are the issues with the Spyderco website and ordering process?

For two months I have not been able to place an order online because when I click the "Checkout Now" button I receive the following error:
We’re sorry. Due to fraud, VPNs, proxies, and Tor browsers are no longer allowed to be used when ordering from Spyderco Catalog. Please disable your VPN before ordering. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you believe you have reached this page in error, please contact support with your IP address below.

I'm not using a proxy and have contacted support several times explaining this to them. I get this same error from three different computers/tablets/phones in three separate locations with three different IP addresses. This has persisted for at least eight weeks. When I speak to support they have been aware of this problem and have said they're in the process of fixing it, but again, it's been two months since I was first given this response. This past Monday when I spoke to the SFO they said this problem was fixed, but when they went into their system they found that this wasn't the case.

The second issue is that nearly every product shows "Out of Stock" on the website, but when calling the SFO the product is in stock and ready to be ordered. When speaking to the SFO staff they are aware of the problem and I have been told that they are working on it. This hasn't been for eight weeks, merely three.

During the past two months, I have been able to place a couple of orders by calling the SFO. Candy and the other folks have been amazingly kind and professional when placing my order and they always include a little extra something in my package. I have zero complaints and nothing but praise for the Spyderco team, though there are challenges when placing phone orders that aren't present when ordering online. First, the OPFOCUS discount is verified using the SheerID online database. This automatic verification can't be completed with phone orders so it requires the SFO employee to spend time looking up past orders to verify the discount and adds to the length of time that I'm on hold and reduces the time that SFO employee can spend with other customers. I also get the impression they aren't supposed to be giving this discount over the phone because one gentleman said, "this might get me in trouble with the folks upstairs." The other challenge I have is that the SFO is on mountain time so they are closed during the time of day when I have the opportunity to place an order, plus they are closed on Sundays.

Is there anyway Christy, Sal, or whoever works at Spyderco and sees this post could kick this up (or down) the chain of command to find a quick and lasting solution? I have money to spend on Spyderco products, I just need to be able to hit the CHECKOUT NOW button. ;)

Thank you.
Last edited by Zatx on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extra330SC

Re: Spyderco Website Ordering Woes

Post by Extra330SC »

Zatx wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:19 am
First, let me start by saying that I understand that Spyderco is not Amazon so I don't expect their website ordering experience to flow nearly as smoothly as that at the Big River. Second, I order all of my Spyderco's directly from their factory outlet because I receive the OPFOCUS discount which allows me to purchase more knives than I would be able to purchase if going through another retailer. I appreciate this gracious gift given to me by the Spyderco team and it is because of their generosity that I waited two months to post this issue on the forums; I was patiently waiting for an improvement.

What are the issues with the Spyderco website and ordering process?

For two months I have not been able to place an order online because when I click the "Checkout Now" button I receive the following error:
We’re sorry. Due to fraud, VPNs, proxies, and Tor browsers are no longer allowed to be used when ordering from Spyderco Catalog. Please disable your VPN before ordering. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you believe you have reached this page in error, please contact support with your IP address below.

I'm not using a proxy and have contacted support several times explaining this to them. I get this same error from three different computers/tablets/phones in three separate locations with three different IP addresses. This has persisted for at least eight weeks. When I speak to support they have been aware of this problem and have said they're in the process of fixing it, but again, it's been two months since I was first given this response. This past Monday when I spoke to the SFO they said this problem was fixed, but when they went into their system they found that this wasn't the case.

The second issue is that nearly every product shows "Out of Stock" on the website, but when calling the SFO the product is in stock and ready to be ordered. When speaking to the SFO staff they are aware of the problem and I have been told that they are working on it. This hasn't been for eight weeks, merely three.

During the past two months, I have been able to place a couple of orders by calling the SFO. Candy and the other folks have been amazingly kind and professional when placing my order and they always include a little extra something in my package. I have zero complaints and nothing but praise for the Spyderco team, though there are challenges when placing phone orders that aren't present when ordering online. First, the OPFOCUS discount is verified using the SheerID online database. This automatic verification can't be completed with phone orders so it requires the SFO employee to spend time looking up past orders to verify the discount and adds to the length of time that I'm on hold and reduces the time that SFO employee can spend with other customers. I also get the impression they aren't supposed to be giving this discount over the phone because one gentleman said, "this might get me in trouble with the folks upstairs." The other challenge I have is that the SFO is on mountain time so they are closed during the time of day when I have the opportunity to place an order, plus they are closed on Sundays.

Is there anyway Christy, Sal, or whoever works at Spyderco and sees this post could kick this up (or down) the chain of command to find a quick and lasting solution? I have money to spend on Spyderco products, I just need to be able to hit the CHECKOUT NOW button. ;)

Thank you.
Spyderco is very gracious to give first responders and active /retired military the ability to buy at a discount straight from SFO. I don't mean this to be offensive....but your post sounds like whining. They said the issue was noted and being addressed. ... patience is key in situations like this.

I was easily able to order my wife's new spydiechef by turning the WIFI off on her phone and using the cellular network (got a similar message to you using WIFI )

The opfocus program is a COURTESY and if that means it may take a while to fix the website problems ...so be it. I'm sure it's at the bottom of a very long list of issues they deal with on a daily basis.

Thank you Spyderco for offering this program!

James
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I was afraid I might get this response, I can see how this comes across as whining, that's one of the reasons I waited two months to mention it. I had hoped that my opening paragraph in which I expressed my gratitude for the discount would assuage that, but I was incorrect. You are absolutely correct, it is whining and I apologize.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I don't see it as whining, as it's a legitimate problem with the website that could prevent many other people from being able to order. A couple months to fix a web store problem is a pretty lengthy amount of time. Who knows how many potential customers they might lose in that time?
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

As someone who recently moved into a tech/coding role, all I can say is that I have new appreciation for how difficult it can be to diagnose and repair seemingly straightforward problems.

I'm sure the folks at Spyderco are working on it and hopefully they'll get it sorted soon. To Jabba's point it's pretty clearly in their best interest to fix things asap, so it's hard to imagine they're intentionally dragging their feet.
:spyder:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Ztax, I am experiencing the "Due to fraud,..." issue also. I have also advised Tech Support. This problem is indeed frustrating and in the interim I have been calling in my orders until the issue is resolved. Hang in there, it will get better!
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I don't think it's whingeing either, I think OP just has a concern and he brought it up politely and calmly. It is indeed very generous of Spyderco to offer that opfocus discount, and OP just wants to show his own gratitude by forking over more of his hard earned shekels ;) I hope the issue gets fixed soon! And I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Glesser sees this and lights a fire under something lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Wow. You can still get your discount and place orders but it isn't easy enough? If it was me and I knew they had problems they were working on that would be enough. You youngsters don't know how easy you really have things. Have patience and stop worrying about how convenient it is for you.

Joe
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

Zatx wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:18 pm
I was afraid I might get this response, I can see how this comes across as whining, that's one of the reasons I waited two months to mention it. I had hoped that my opening paragraph in which I expressed my gratitude for the discount would assuage that, but I was incorrect. You are absolutely correct, it is whining and I apologize.
No, your post was perfectly reasonable. The responses/lectures are what's out of line, but that seems to be a trend these days here. IMO it's not very Spyderco, and it certainly doesn't contribute to the specific discussion or the forum atmosphere. People need to be able to raise and discuss legitimate issues.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Zatx wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:18 pm

While I disagree with the overall tone of Extra's response, it also offered a constructive observation and potential solution which you did not address. Were you using a phone and WIFI when you got the error message? If so, have you tried his suggestion of connecting via your cellular network?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:46 am

While I disagree with the overall tone of Extra's response, it also offered a constructive observation and potential solution which you did not address. Were you using a phone and WIFI when you got the error message? If so, have you tried his suggestion of connecting via your cellular network?

Good morning, Deacon. I too noticed his recommendation, so last night I was able to place an order for a Mcbee using this technique. I hadn't yet had an opportunity this morning to thank him for the suggestion.

Thanks, Extra!
Crux

Post by Crux »

I saw the message, killed my VPN and no further problems.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Zatx wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:54 am
The Deacon wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:46 am

Good morning, Deacon. I too noticed his recommendation, so last night I was able to place an order for a Mcbee using this technique. I hadn't yet had an opportunity this morning to thank him for the suggestion.

Thanks, Extra!
Glad that worked for you and congratulations on the McBee! Curious to your thoughts once you have it in hand. Intriguing knife!

James
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Extra330SC wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:04 pm

Glad that worked for you and congratulations on the McBee! Curious to your thoughts once you have it in hand. Intriguing knife!

James

Though it's from a different designer, I think it will go well with this set:

shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Glad they found a work around.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Zatx wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:28 pm
Extra330SC wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:04 pm

James

Though it's from a different designer, I think it will go well with this set:

I love the polish on the Techno and bowie blades! The T2 is on my radar. Nice set!

James
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Extra330SC wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:54 am

I love the polish on the Techno and bowie blades! The T2 is on my radar. Nice set!

James

I agree. The more I look at the Techno 2, the more appealing it gets.

$200+ though is hard to swallow. :o
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:44 pm
Extra330SC wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:54 am

James

I agree. The more I look at the Techno 2, the more appealing it gets.

$200+ though is hard to swallow. :o

Extra330SC: The fit and finish on this Techno 2 is equal to the high water mark set by Spyderco on the Bowie; it really is very impressive.

The Meat Man: This Techno 2 is one of the highest quality knives I've ever handled. In fact, I place it above the Chris Reeve Small Sebenza. The only detraction I can give the knife is the choice of zombie green stand-offs; what the heck was Spyderco thinking? Thankfully, this misstep (in my opinion) is easily corrected in five minutes by chemically removing the anodizing.

Here's mine with it's new mirrored edge and RGT wire replacement clip: